Is veganism really gaining ground?

I was born in 1980 and haven't read up on other human rights movement of the past so I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who has done extensive reading of older movements, or lived through them. In the 1960s for instance. Martin Luther King and people and Rosa Parks and all that era. Did it seem to be going nowhere for ages, and then take off? Or was it slow and steady all the while?

What about feminism around the same time period, or other movements?

I'm also interested in the question about whether civil disobedience is necessary to advance a cause. For instance, Stonewall era, was fighting in the streets with the police necessary to get some attention and kickstart things? Or did it make the movement worse? Did the feminists get things done because they did law breaking protests, or because of peaceful persistent discussion?

There might be some lessons here for veganism and environentalism and other modern movements that at an earlier stage.

That was meant more as a response to Lou than the recent comments. By the way, Lou your list of PETA's accomplishments. You might want to edit that post to warn that there is some very disturbing imagery as soon as people click on that link so people are aware before doing it.

PETA is two faced.They do some of the worst advertising, they do some of the best.
When they focus on realities, on just facts, they can be the best, but the other side that lashes out with unrestrained emotion, misogyny, and over the top dramatizations---that part needs to go.
It was a peta display in DC that sealed it for me. It wasn't like I didn't know the horrors, I'd been vegetarian leaning vegan on/off for many years. But this time I stood before the signs featuring chickens, and clearly presented facts, and I cried. That was the end of me ever eating meat.

Everyone is different in what they respond to, but the facts really speak for themselves. Naked women laying around with fake blood doesn't have a very serious vibe

I think when you think of PETAs advertising shock tactics you should keep in mind that old dictum: There is no such thing as bad publicity. For instance, recently PETA installed 3 billboards. (maybe it was more - I've only seen reports on three).The Billboard said "Tofu never caused a pandemic". Almost immediately it made news as being callous or insensitive. PETA was vilified on FOX news. So for the cost of a few billboards they get a national news story.

The same kind of thing happens when they send out a few people to throw fake blood at fur coats. You get the idea. They get their message across. Granted people might not like the message but they will sit up and take notice. And when it comes to changing minds that might be a good first step.

I was born in 1980 and haven't read up on other human rights movement of the past so I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who has done extensive reading of older movements, or lived through them. In the 1960s for instance. Martin Luther King and people and Rosa Parks and all that era. Did it seem to be going nowhere for ages, and then take off? Or was it slow and steady all the while?

What about feminism around the same time period, or other movements?

I'm also interested in the question about whether civil disobedience is necessary to advance a cause. For instance, Stonewall era, was fighting in the streets with the police necessary to get some attention and kickstart things? Or did it make the movement worse? Did the feminists get things done because they did law breaking protests, or because of peaceful persistent discussion?

There might be some lessons here for veganism and environentalism and other modern movements that at an earlier stage.

Jamie, thanks for those questions and those thoughts. But I'm afraid the answer is tied up in my original problem. How can you measure the progress of a social movement?

The one thing I can tell you is that these movements did not just pop up out of nowhere. Each had roots from something previous. Many of the women who were involved in the American suffrage movement were abolitionists who were disappointed that the 14th and 15th amendments did not extend full rights to women.

I strongly disagree. PETA is at least partially responsible for me being vegan in the first place.
They have a list of their accomplishments. You can disagree with their tactics but I don't think you can disregard theirs accomplishes.
Before I discovered the VF, if I had a question or problem about the vegan diet I went to PETA first. They are still one of the best resources for info.

• Agree
Reactions: silva and Mischief
More evidence that Veganism is on the rise.

Just got this message from the HSUS

Nordstrom is adopting a fur-free and exotic-skin-free policy! This is a huge victory that will spare countless animals and makes a clear statement that animal furs and exotic animal skins are unnecessary products of the past. Consumers are shopping more ethically and powerhouse retailers, like Nordstrom, are taking note and adjusting their brand accordingly.​