UK Is 'Vegan' Expensive?

Yes, one can. But not everyone wants to do this as others have already said. If you like to do this, do it. Many others have no interest in doing so, including me.

Vegan convenience food might be as unhealthy and expensive as omnivore convenience food - but it helps people with no interest in cooking/food preparing becoming and stay vegan.

No one is forced to eat vegan junk food but I wish people would understand that not every vegan is into the WFPB diet.

yup, understood and I do eat fake meats/sausages

I guess the question is what do you eat with the fake meat? I try to add things like lots of sauerkraut with the sausages, and fried onions, and maybe some boiled potatoes and/or steamed veggies. Other things that are filling and so allow me to eat half of the fake things that I might otherwise.

If you compared eating a "convenience food" regular diet (eg premade beef burgers, french fries, etc) with "convenience food" vegan I am almost sure that the costs would be similar. It is the "convenience food" lifestyle that is so unhealthy for both vegans and non-vegans and that, of course, is our own choice. It is, by definition, a more expensive lifestyle. IMO

Emma JC

canned beans are cheap and convenient.

especially breakfast beans.... I love them! they have gone up in price in the past 6 months though, so have been trying to make my own more often from dry beans (the small white beans are the easiest)

heated up and on toast.... yum ( I do often add onion, jalapenos, garlic powder, paprika)

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15
These days have been shopping at Food Basic's and there's lots of good deals weekly. They have a lot of imports, like to buy British bigger peas (marrowfats) whole or mushy. Good prices on Indian boil in a bag ready meals, mostly vegan. They have a huge vegan section for all kinds of packaged and frozen international foods.

Reactions: Emma JC
Lots of folks have said this already, but I find vegan convenience foods (such as veggie burgers or other vegan meat/dairy/fish imitations) are comparatively costly, while whole foods such as grains or legumes are much less so.

Now, if you really miss the taste of nonvegan foods, of course you can have vegan substitutes, such as "Beyond Burgers" or imitation "cheeses", as a treat to yourself now and then. Besides being costly, they're not the healthiest things to eat, I suppose- for example, the vegan convenience foods I sometimes get are quite high in salt/sodium (as are most convenience foods).

This thread is about being frugal, so I have to mention that it's a good idea to try a sample of something to make sure you like it before buying an expensive amount of it. I suppose anyone could finish a package of 4 veggie burgers, unless they had a physical intolerance to it. But then, I've never been a fussy eater. Mom probably never knew that, as a child, I didn't care that much for ham, cream-style canned corn, or pickled beets because I always ate them- I just didn't ask for seconds.

Reactions: Lou
Lots of folks have said this already, but I find vegan convenience foods (such as veggie burgers or other vegan meat/dairy/fish imitations) are comparatively costly, while whole foods such as grains or legumes are much less so.

Now, if you really miss the taste of nonvegan foods, of course you can have vegan substitutes, such as "Beyond Burgers" or imitation "cheeses", as a treat to yourself now and then. Besides being costly, they're not the healthiest things to eat, I suppose- for example, the vegan convenience foods I sometimes get are quite high in salt/sodium (as are most convenience foods).

This thread is about being frugal, so I have to mention that it's a good idea to try a sample of something to make sure you like it before buying an expensive amount of it. I suppose anyone could finish a package of 4 veggie burgers, unless they had a physical intolerance to it. But then, I've never been a fussy eater. Mom probably never knew that, as a child, I didn't care that much for ham, cream-style canned corn, or pickled beets because I always ate them- I just didn't ask for seconds.
I take exception to the idea that people like processed foods because they miss the taste of non vegan foods.
The gluten and soy based foods are things of their own and only have an association with meat if you see them that way. I've ALWAYS loved soy burgers, Morningstar and Boca products more than meat, and of course discovering seitan was better! My son grew up with Boca and Gardien chik;n things and spit out his first chicken pattie sandwich.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
I kind of understand Eddes point. Once i was in a developing sort of nation and it was one where meat was very domininant. when i went to buy vwgetarian ingredients, it was quite limited, even the variety of vegetables.... some places do not have big markets full of fruit and vegetables and might have limited canned goods even. not all places are the same. of course in the west it is easy to find everything providing you have acces to a supermarket.

• Friendly
It definitely can be, especially when you are first stocking up on grains and seeds and such. But once you have a good stock pile, those foods typically stretch for a long time and have a very long shelf life.
I have found it's definitely worth paying more for whole food. Even people who eat meat and animal products will have a higher grocery bill if they buy whole foods, organic, free range, etc.
Last month I ran out of money for 12 days (I get paid monthly). And I was stuck eating nothing but processed snack foods (still vegan, but processed carbs). I had no fresh fruits or vegetables for about a week. I felt so tired and weak. When I got paid and bought fresh fruits and vegetables, I felt better that day after 2 healthy meals.
It was difficult, but a great reminder why I don't eat sugar, oil, or processed carbs (If I can help it lol).

It definitely can be, especially when you are first stocking up on grains and seeds and such. But once you have a good stock pile, those foods typically stretch for a long time and have a very long shelf life.
I have found it's definitely worth paying more for whole food. Even people who eat meat and animal products will have a higher grocery bill if they buy whole foods, organic, free range, etc.
Last month I ran out of money for 12 days (I get paid monthly). And I was stuck eating nothing but processed snack foods (still vegan, but processed carbs). I had no fresh fruits or vegetables for about a week. I felt so tired and weak. When I got paid and bought fresh fruits and vegetables, I felt better that day after 2 healthy meals.
It was difficult, but a great reminder why I don't eat sugar, oil, or processed carbs (If I can help it lol).
Grains are expensive? The poorest people in the world eat rice and beans.

They can be if you buy in bulk like I try to. I guess "expensive " is relative based on one's income.

the great thing about buying "at a bulk" store is that you can buy as little or as much as you need - I don't know where you are in California but I would suggest trying to find a bulk food store as it is the cheapest way to buy many whole foods - I use our local one on a regular basis and even buy green teas, peanut butter, spices, flour, popcorn, nutritional yeast etc there - it is waaaaayyyyy less expensive than buying those same items at the grocery store

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Last edited:
I think there might be some confusion on what is meant by bulk.

@Emma JC is referring to the bulk bins at the grocery stores.

I think @Peace and happiness is referring to great big bags. Like a 25 pound bag of rice. Or a 50 pound bag of beans.

Buying dry goods in the bulk food aisle does have the advantages that Emma mentioned. but it still isn't as cheap as buying those really big bags.

Also here in California, during the pandemic a lot of the stores have taken out the bins. I'm not sure when or if they are coming back.

another thing I liked about the bulk bins is that I would bring my own container. Less plastic waste.

I think @Peace and happiness is referring to great big bags. Like a 25 pound bag of rice. Or a 50 pound bag of beans.

Buying dry goods in the bulk food aisle does have the advantages that Emma mentioned. but it still isn't as cheap as buying those really big bags.

Also here in California, during the pandemic a lot of the stores have taken out the bins. I'm not sure when or if they are coming back.

another thing I liked about the bulk bins is that I would bring my own container. Less plastic waste.
Mexican markets have very low prices on rice, corn tortillas, and pinto beans.

In the United States, Sam's Club and Costco have low prices on rice and beans. Some Sam's Club locations sell 50-pounds of pinto beans for $27.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
As much as I've heard about groceries of specific ethnicities being cheaper on traditional foods, I haven't found that besides spices
I once bought a 8 pound bag of bag of brown basmati rice from the Indian grocer by me, it was Deep so a common brand. Sooooo many hulls! I didn't eat brown rice for a very very long time after that!Just an anecdote :shrug:
I do find buying bulk online has been cheaper than many stores.
I recently found
Ordered 3 pounds of Butler Soy Curls
15 lbs vital wheat gluten
and now wish I'd gotten more organic oats and rye berries.
They have good prices even with their quick shipping

you are correct @Lou , there are two different meanings to 'bulk'

back in March of 2020 I spoke to our 'bulk' store about actually buying 'bulk' as in the huge multi pound bags that they use to fill their bins... they gave me the price on a number of items and in some cases it was actually more per pound than what the cost was in the bins and when you look at the space the items take up, the money you have tied up, the potential waste if you don't eat it fast enough, the pressure to eat just that... for me it wasn't worth it

I buy a pound or two at a time so that I always have 'some in stock', but don't buy more than I know I will use within the next couple of months. The biggest savings is on nutritional yeast. It is crazy the price in the grocery store compared to the bulk store.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
you are correct @Lou , there are two different meanings to 'bulk'
:)

You might need to shop around.
I never buy the big bags because I live in an apartment and have no place to store it in.
my sister buys rice in 50 pound bags at the asian market. However she lives in a house and has a walk-in pantry (and a garage). She and her husband and son eat rice almost every day.

just doing a little shopping comparison with google, buying a 2 pound bag of rice might cost $5, $2.50 a pound. Although just now I checked my grocery store and they have it on sale for $2/lb

A 50 pound bag might cost $25, $0.50 a pound.

At Costco a 25 pound bag of rice costs $20.

Two caveats.
It depends on where you shop. for instance my BIL works in Japan town and can easily stop by the Japanese market where (and I'm not making this up) they have a Rice Aisle.

There is also a quality issue. As Silva mentioned, some rice brands are better than others.

Huh, after doing this little bit of research, I am going to switch my rice buying. I don't have the room for a 50 lb bag, but you know I could probably store a 25 pound bag in that cupboard above the frig that I need a step ladder to reach. I could then just use it to fill a small container I could keep in the pantry.

Hmmm. I could probably do that with beans, too.

Maybe when the bulk food bins are back I can re-think this.

Last edited:
:)

You might need to shop around.
I never buy the big bags because I live in an apartment and have no place to store it in.
my sister buys rice in 50 pound bags at the asian market. However she lives in a house and has a walk-in pantry (and a garage). She and her husband and son eat rice almost every day.

just doing a little shopping comparison with google, buying a 2 pound bag of rice might cost $5, $2.50 a pound. Although just now I checked my grocery store and they have it on sale for $2/lb

A 50 pound bag might cost $25, $0.50 a pound.

At Costco a 25 pound bag of rice costs $20.

Two caveats.
It depends on where you shop. for instance my BIL works in Japan town and can easily stop by the Japanese market where (and I'm not making this up) they have a Rice Aisle.

There is also a quality issue. As Silva mentioned, some rice brands are better than others.

Huh, after doing this little bit of research, I am going to switch my rice buying. I don't have the room for a 50 lb bag, but you know I could probably store a 25 pound bag in that cupboard above the frig that I need a step ladder to reach. I could then just use it to fill a small container I could keep in the pantry.

Hmmm. I could probably do that with beans, too.

Maybe when the bulk food bins are back I can re-think this.
I do miss the bulk bins! One store has the bulk cylinders still, that dispense with a lever.They don't let you bring your own,and for some reason, don't have bags there, just small plastic tubs :shrug:. People still take bags from the produce area

I'd be wary of buying that much rice! I try and keep my rice use to a minimum. I rinse, but dislike it when it's cooked like pasta and drained,and that's what should be done to reduce arsenic

Check out
For vital wheat gluten, Butler soy curls, whole grains, beans, meat alternatives, fortified nooch.....