UK Is 'Vegan' Expensive?

I volunteered at a food bank before I retired. All of these elderly people, with oxygen tanks and motorized scooters, would come in to pick up their food. I protested the kind of food they were giving to these vulnerable people. Their boxes would be filled with giant boxes of Ho Hos, Nutty Bars, candy, Mac and Cheese, Hamburger Helper, white bread, Soda Pop, Juice drinks, potato chips, and huge packages of meat.

I was appalled when I saw a 300 lb. diabetic woman, in a motorized wheelchair with an oxygen tank, picking up her boxes of meat, dairy, and processed food.

That is why the poor have the worst health outcomes.
Another issue regarding the "cost" of food, is the diseases created from it. Medical care is expensive compared to eating healthfully..
Inner cities/poor area's are known to be food deserts, where only fast food restaurants and very small grocery stores are there. It
is therefore convenient to eat the processed foods that are local.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
I'm 70 years old. I am on NO MEDICATIONS. My BP is 114/78, I don't have diabetes, still have my (mostly) hair color, no arthritis, and only see my doctor once a year. Every year all my blood tests come back normal.

I live in a senior only building, and another woman asked me how I got in because I looked so much younger than her, and she was the youngest woman in the building. Turns out I was 8 years older than her.

I watch all the motorized carts running around with people younger than me.

My mother died of abdominal cancer, my sister had breast cancer, my other sister had ovarian cancer; no cancer yet with me.

The only thing I can put it down to is diet.

This is what is lacking in almost every guide to retirement! So much push to pad retirment accounts and information on how best to keep it safe, and what kinds of insurance to have and how to protect your money if in need of Medicaid---but so very little on how to stay healthy
No amount of money will compensate for weak muscles, shortness of breath, achy stiff joints and declining memory. Good health on the other hand, can compensate for little money.
I have to say I need to get back on the wfpb track myself, before I "have" to!
Most of my family and friends are not vegetarian nor even pescatarian, let lone vegan. As a rule, their diets certainly seem to be based around foods of animal origin, and they'd probably be healthier if they at least moved closer to a vegetarian scheme (even if they only got as far as flexitarian). But I honestly think their main health risks come from: 1) the use of tobacco and/or alcohol; 2) too MUCH food (i.e., calories- particularly of fats); and 3) a lack of exercise.

I might well be wrong about how much animal foods impact their health, relative to other unhealthy habits.

ETA: I KNEW I forgot something, although it's been mentioned here already: good, healthy food tends to be either comparatively costly or takes more time to prepare.

Reactions: Brian W
Vegan food is the cheapest food.

I know that some forum members do not like my eating habits. Rice and oatmeal is so cheap that it might as well be free. Peanut butter sandwiches are also cheap. I think the peanut butter sandwich is nature's most perfect food.

I will gloat about my cooking. My oatmeal and rice is the best tasting oatmeal and rice ever.

Most of my family and friends are not vegetarian nor even pescatarian, let lone vegan. As a rule, their diets certainly seem to be based around foods of animal origin, and they'd probably be healthier if they at least moved closer to a vegetarian scheme (even if they only got as far as flexitarian). But I honestly think their main health risks come from: 1) the use of tobacco and/or alcohol; 2) too MUCH food (i.e., calories- particularly of fats); and 3) a lack of exercise.

I might well be wrong about how much animal foods impact their health, relative to other unhealthy habits.

ETA: I KNEW I forgot something, although it's been mentioned here already: good, healthy food tends to be either comparatively costly or takes more time to prepare.

My grandson wanted to get into food prepping, so I bought him a variety of glass meal containers. Because I bought him a variety of of sizes and compartments, there was plenty left over for me.

I looked at a lot of the food prepping videos, and it seemed a little involved for me. I thought that I would make it a little simpler. I made a large pot of rice blend, fried some mushrooms, and took out a variety of frozen veggies. I put a cup of rice blend in one compartment, mushrooms on top, and added homemade teriyaki sauce. I put 2 different kinds of frozen veggies in the separate compartments. For the other meals I boiled up some spaghetti, put some spaghetti sauce (from the clearance shelf) and crumbles, vegan meatballs, or lentils, some vegan cheese and nooch. Frozen veggies in the compartments, and it is a meal. It was probably $1-$2 per meal.

I think it takes a long time, and it gets expensive, when people try to follow these vegan chefs making these really involved meals. I tried a few of the vegan chef's recipes that were super complicated, and while they were tasty, I just didn't think it was worth the extra effort and expense.

Vegan food can be cheap and easy, or complicated and expensive. I, personally, prefer cheap and easy.

Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
People have turned to plant based eating for generations in frugal times. Groceries always seemed to be that last thing to take money from, and theres nothing as cheap as whole grains, pulses, and produce.
What is hard is corraling that inner toddler inside of me that wants nothing but frozen chik'n nuggets (that I could make better & cheaper myself). Candy of all kinds. Having baking as a hobby and wanting it to be decadent.

I just made this lentil kofta. It's one of those weekly meal prep things you can vary through the week, and portion out to season differently, or season at serving

It's great to serve cold on lettuce leaves, or steam large collard leaves roll up and serve hot
You can add to broth with chopped spinach or mixed veg and have a thick soup
You can add some vwg or oat flour and make patties
Serve as a dip with crackers

Just cook 1.5 cups red split lentils (or any dahl) with double the water (rinse them first) till soft, Appx 20 min simmer
Add 1 cup fine bulger/cracked wheat (I bought larger cracked wheat and pulsed in Vitamix) stir and let sit.
Add sauteed onion and garlic and season as you like

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Enchilada week--

Mix beans with salsa, fat free refried beans, diced tomatoes, corn. fill corn or other tortillas, roll up and put in a casserole dish. Pour sauce over and bake.
Leftover filling is a dip or serve over rice

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC