Is traveling somewhere for the food alone worth it?

Is traveling somewhere for the food alone worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
If yes where?
Out of state or country**
Would you fly or drive a long distance for a good meal?

I used to be a strong Yes.
Back when I had a motorcycle - driving to a location for a meal (or even a good cup of coffee) was a regular occurrence.

Local food specialties which aren't available at home are one of the fun things about travelling, but I don't think I'd make it a priority. I was hoping to have colcannon when I visited Ireland back in 2000. This is a dish of potatoes and either cabbage or kale- 3 of my favorite vegetables!!!- and I think maybe onion, which is also good-but garlic would be even better. But somehow I didn't see it on any menu when I was there.

• Wow
  • Friendly
Reactions: Raven and silva
I made such a delicious colcannon--no idea what I did, but have never been able to replicate the flavors, or the texture :confused:. That happens to me a lot.
I very rarely go out of my way to restaurants. I would certainly include them if I travel.
there is a Chinese restaurant that's maybe a 20 - 25 min drive with lots of vegan seitan on the menu and I still haven't gone there. I need to make a plan to include something else
It's so expensive to eat out! I have maybe 4 places by me that I get food from every couple weeks, maybe every week now that there's a vegan pizza!

I voted "yes", although it depends. I probably wouldn't want to travel super far exclusively for the food. But it helps if I have good company or sightseeing is involved or even a restaurant with nice atmosphere. Maybe I would travel someplace also to give myself a mental break.

But if the food was truly exceptional - then maybe I would go just for the food ... Maybe.

If yes where?
Out of state or country**
Would you fly or drive a long distance for a good meal?

I've worked in the food and hospitality industry for most of my life. I can tell you from personal experience, people will definitely travel for good food. I've worked in a few remote locations, where regular customers have told me they drive many miles out of their way, some even hours, to come to the establishment. I've gone to other places that people drive out of their way for. I've said this before and I will say it again, good food sells itself.

There are places that I will drive out of my way for. For me, however, it has to be something I don't make at home. For example, I can't make pizza in my crappy oven at home...even with a pizza stone, as the oven just doesn't get hot enough. I've thought about buying a propane pizza oven or even building my own cob oven for my backyard, but until I do, I will drive out of my way to my favorite pizza place.

As for flying or leaving state/province goes. Well lets just say if money was no object I probably would fly all over the world in search of great vegan cuisine.

Yes, I would travel for a great vegan meal, within reason. I'm going to Brighton in September, in fact.:)

I would really like to travel for a concert too when I don't have my pets and have more freedom to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom L.
Yes, I would travel for a great vegan meal, within reason. I'm going to Brighton in September, in fact.:)

I would really like to travel for a concert too when I don't have my pets and have more freedom to do so.
Some concerts are worth a relatively long trip. My longest was to see Paul McCartney when he played Yankee Stadium, but I didn't have to drive- a local bus company had a deal which included concert tickets and bus fare. (The seats weren't bad! They weren't the best available, but with the Jumbotron screen set up directly behind the stage, nobody missed anything anyway!)

And I definitely didn't travel for the food that time. About all they had vegan was was french fries- which were good- but I'm fortunate that I don't eat like that every day (or even every month).

Reactions: Raven and vesper818

Pets are something I will always have in my life, I hope. And I LOVE flying.
So if I leave them for a few days, I'll just stock them up with extra food and water. But it might be different depending which pet you have. Some are harder to leave on their own, like a dog. You'd need a sitter.

Pets are something I will always have in my life, I hope. And I LOVE flying.
So if I leave them for a few days, I'll just stock them up with extra food and water. But it might be different depending which pet you have. Some are harder to leave on their own, like a dog. You'd need a sitter.
We use a kennel around here, but I haven't been able to book it this month at all as it is fully booked up with all the kids being on school holidays.

I would love to go to the US for a big concert or a festival like Coachella.:)

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I go 30 for BK alone, lol
Usually it's Walmart for groceries then BK, but sometimes I'll be bored on the weekend and want an impossible whopper.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15