Is it time to leave Florida?

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Run for the ... wait a minute , there are no hills in Florida. Err ...run to the airport! :D
Hurricane Matthew: Florida warned of 'direct hit' - BBC News
Florida residents have been warned to prepare for a "direct hit", as Hurricane Matthew pounded the Bahamas after devastating parts of Haiti.

Damage could be "catastrophic", the state governor said. Evacuation orders have been issued along the coast.

Pets cope with Hurricane Matthew at a storm shelter just for them
That sentiment — that pets are family — and the uncertainty of Matthew's path drove dozens of people to Broward County's pet-friendly shelter at Millennium Middle School in Tamarac.

By Thursday afternoon, the shelter has 55 clients, 18 cats, 27 dogs and two birds — including a plump cat from Dania Beach named Rudy, adopted from the streets a year ago, and a trio of excited Yorkies from Margate named Benji, Big G and Love.

Read more here: Pets cope with Hurricane Matthew at a storm shelter just for them

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/us/hurricane-matthew.html
Residents were streaming away from coastal regions, jamming highways, after Gov. Rick Scott of Florida told 1.5 million people living in evacuation zones: “You need to leave. Evacuate, evacuate, evacuate.”

NASA closed the space center on Wednesday, and “essential personnel” prepared for the storm by checking the space center for loose debris.

There’s a very valuable satellite that’s waiting for launch in a month: the GOES-R, a next-generation weather satellite for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that was designed to improve, among other things, our tracking and intensity measurement of hurricanes. A NOAA posting on Reddit by the system program director for GOES-R satellites, said that it was being held in a building in Titusville that can withstand a Category 4 hurricane.

My friend in Palm Bay decided to ride it out. Initially they went across the street to stay with a neighbor because the neighbor's house is more sea worthy. But for some reason they ended up going back home. Maybe it was downgraded a bit. I guess I'll find out more in a few hours.

Getting back to normal today! Sun is shining! Lots of people still without power and schools will be closed Monday and Tuesday. I saw many tree branches and trees down on my way home from work this morning. I think the power company said they hope to have everyone's power restored by Sunday night.