Question Is honey vegan?

maybe this is controversial, but I think eating honey is more vegan than having an animal's testicles removed for non-medical reasons. Even if an animal is a rescue, the pet paradigm is being supported.

Eating honey isn't vegan at all.

In my opinion companion animal ownership and breeding (whether paid or unpaid) should end. I understand if vegans like myself (!) have rescue animals as companions to reduce suffering as these unwanted animals would just be locked in a cage in a rescue place for the rest of their lives or be euthanised.

Reactions: Scorpius
eating honey would be more vegan than slaughtering a pig and eating the meat, wouldn't it?

I don't know...it seems that some things are more vegan than others even if they aren't vegan.

Oh, wow. I was about to log out, that was a quick response.:p

Well no, being vegan for me at least is about ending animal suffering as much as possible and avoiding animal products/animal tested products as far as I can.

maybe this is controversial, but I think eating honey is more vegan than having an animal's testicles removed for non-medical reasons. Even if an animal is a rescue, the pet paradigm is being supported.
Well, I agree that this procedure is not without very serious ethical issues. It's just that not performing the procedure appears to be even worse.

Reactions: Poppy
Well, I agree that this procedure is not without very serious ethical issues. It's just that not performing the procedure appears to be even worse.

Well I've managed to not be responsible for the removal of an animal's testicles.....how hard can it be? :p

I don't think honey would be vegan.
I think I have an allergy to honey, so I avoid it anyway.

eating honey would be more vegan than slaughtering a pig and eating the meat, wouldn't it?

I don't know...it seems to me that some things are more vegan than others even if they aren't vegan.
One isn't more vegan or less vegan than the other. Many bees are killed in the production of honey, just like many pigs are killed in the production of pork. I guess it comes down to whether you value one animal more than another.

I guess it comes down to whether you value one animal more than another.

I guess it does.

So if there is a railway track and a run away carriage, and the way it is going it will run over a pig, or a dog. Would one divert the carriage so that it would run over a bee, or a fly..?

I suppose insects may seem less important to some people because they are always being killed in accidents anyway. Trod on; run over; smashed against the wind shield.

I'm just not a big fan of the removal of testicles from animals, and I would rather someone drank a pint of honey.

You can't rank what is vegan and what isn't. Honey is not vegan. Period.

See what you started IS? :mad:

Reactions: Danielle
Neutering does reduce aggression and tumor risk so there is some benefit to them. I've noticed a big difference in my rats, and how calm they are neutered. Less fights between male rats. If they do fight, it isn't as serious.
But this is about honey, which is not vegan.

Hypothetical questions about situations that will never happen are annoying. Like, what if you were stranded on a deserted island with a pig and nothing to eat?
I can guarantee that will never happen to me in my lifetime. [emoji14]

Last edited:
Eating honey isn't vegan at all.

In my opinion companion animal ownership and breeding (whether paid or unpaid) should end. I understand if vegans like myself (!) have rescue animals as companions to reduce suffering as these unwanted animals would just be locked in a cage in a rescue place for the rest of their lives or be euthanised.
Agree.

I agree honey isn't really vegan. Someone on a VB honey thread said he was going to open a vegan restaurant that served roast tarantula legs in honey.... :p that sort of convinced me.

So if you can't have things which are more vegan than others, maybe you can have things which are 'less un-vegan'.....you can have things which are more humane than others...murdering someone with a painless poison is less inhumane, I would say.

If neutering pets is ok for vegans, then I think it is kind of silly to quibble about honey.
If I were held prisoner in some basement, by a vegan, I would rather they had honey on their toast each breakfast, than remove my testicles, even if they thought it would improve my behaviour, and reduce my chance of cancer.

Last edited:
If I were held prisoner in some basement, by a vegan, I would rather they had honey on their toast each breakfast, than remove my testicles, even if they thought it would improve my behaviour, and reduce my chance of cancer.

Except that when pets are neutered it is done by doctors and trained assistants and under general anesthesia and pain medication is administered afterwards. If you were to neuter a dog held captive in your basement, you would most likely be in prison for a long, long time.

It's a common thing for men to be 'against' neutering their dogs. I don't get it, is it a pride thing, or a transference issue perhaps??

If neutering pets is ok for vegans, then I think it is kind of silly to quibble about honey.

There are many reasons why neutering / spaying your pets is beneficial. The big one is that it fights pet overpopulation. The refusal to do so could result in multiple litters of puppies and/or kittens, most of which won't find a safe, loving home. So to spay/neuter is to reduce animal suffering.

And honey isn't vegan. There is no quibbling about it. It's just not vegan. If you're not going to quibble over a little honey, why quibble over a slice of cheese? Or a glass of milk? Or a chicken sandwich? Stop it already.

Also, notice how most anti-neutering rhetoric constantly mentions testicles but says nothing about spaying.

I mean, it's true that you can't explain surgery to an animal. But you also can't explain pet overpopulation or group empathy to an animal, so.

Also, notice how most anti-neutering rhetoric constantly mentions testicles but says nothing about spaying.

I would leave that up to females. I don't have ovaries, and I'm not sure what spaying involves anyway. I'm not keen on spaying either, but I can understand castration more easily. Surely you can too?

Partly it is my religious beliefs. You surgically alter an animal, and that might be it for eternity. They go off to what ever afterlife they have without their testicles.....!:eek::p