Is a course of probiotics useful.

alleycat

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have an upset digestion system after illness and antibiotics, ( finished 2 days ago ) would a course of probiotics help ? Any recommendations on what to look for. I've tried searching the net and just ended up confusing myself. I asked my G.P and she said it probably wouldn't hurt but she didn't seem really interested.

I use hing (asafoetid) for basic tummy upsets ,about a1/4 of teaspoon.
I have no idea about taking probiotics, although have never read anything negative about them.

Reactions: alleycat
I had some stomach problems and came off gluten for a while to see if that helped. I am taking a course of probiotics (started 2 weeks ago) called BetterVits, although I don't know if you can get them where you live. I googled and they got the best reviews. I usually take a probiotic after being on antibiotics as well, although I haven't taken them for quite a while.

of course I'm not a professional health professional but I have done some research on this. I've also spoken to some physicians.
IMHO, probiotics are a huge scam. However the one time they Might actually do some good is after a course of antibiotics.

As far as I can tell there are no studies proving that show probiotics are helpful. One researcher gave an interview and he even went as far as saying that among his patients they might have actually been harmful. (keep in mind that these were his patients because there were already things wrong with them).

He also pointed out that a lot of these bacteria probably don't even survive passing thru the stomach. their intended living area is the intestines which is not as acidic.

I also like to point out that our guts have hundreds (maybe thousands) of different species of bacteria. All living together and competing, cooperating, and in some cases devouring each other in complicated relationships and ratios. It's actually a little ecosystem that probably is as complicated as any forest.

I read that the bacteria in our guts are so unique that there is an emerging forensic science that hopes to identify people with them. Like fingerprints or blood types.

I know analogies have their weaknesses but I love them. So let's take a forest and burn it down. (your gut on probiotics). and then you come in and plant a dozen different plants, animals and bugs. (that's the probiotics) Well, you can't expect it to be the same. but just like the forest, the other species will find their way into the forest.

Keep in mind that your gut has all those different species. The best probiotic has no more than 60.

But like when a forest fire is over they do come in and give the forest a jump start by planting some trees and grasses.

Anyway, if I was looking to take a probiotic I would look for the one that has the most number of species.
I've know that there is a lot of correlation between the number of species and the price. And I would be very hesitant in spending really big bucks on something that may not even work.

BTW, I don't take them unless I've taken some antibiotics. But then I'll buy a bottle and take the recommended dose till its gone.

Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS Probiotics aren't too expensive and have eight strains. you can order them. on Amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
My understanding of probiotics is that they are next best thing to useless. You can, to a small degree, aid your existing friendly bacteria by eating some oats every day but even that isn't going to be a miracle cure. If your G.P. wasn't interested, it is probably for a good reason.

Reactions: alleycat
I don't think it would hurt to try if you have been on antibiotics. I have read how important gut health is, especially over the past few years. You could try fermented foods as they are supposed to help with digestive issues, although I can't stand most ones I've tried!

I don't think it would hurt to try if you have been on antibiotics. I have read how important gut health is, especially over the past few years. You could try fermented foods as they are supposed to help with digestive issues, although I can't stand most ones I've tried!
that's a good suggestion. even if you aren't haven't any troubles, including some fermented foods in you diet is a good plan.

You have got me researching fermented foods and it seems the science is pretty good on this. I have started looking at miso recipes and will look into other things such as natto. It's a new adventure for me and I have discovered that the beginnings of agriculture may have been partly encouraged by the discovery of beer. :eek:

I tried kimchi, kombucha and miso paste and I didn't like any of them, I liked kimchi at first and then went off it.

Saying that, I did find a kombucha in Holland & Barrett that was fairly okay the other day. The brand was called Remedy and it was cherry plum flavoured.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and Brian W
I tried kimchi, kombucha and miso paste and I didn't like any of them, I liked kimchi at first and then went off it.

Saying that, I did find a kombucha in Holland & Barrett that was fairly okay the other day. The brand was called Remedy and it was cherry plum flavoured.
I haven't looked into kombucha properly but according to Wikipedia, there are risks associated with it.

Kombucha - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: Raven