In need of recipes; whole wheat pastry etc.

Clairey

Vegan wannabe
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am trying to have a vegan vegetarian plant-based diet but my kitchen is a real dump and i can not cook in it. This means i am having to eat a few things i do not want to keep enough strength. I have got stomach ache and feel sick.

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt
When you say “real dump”, could you be a bit more precise about what restrictions you’re facing? Is it unhygienic (broken work surfaces and so forth, landlord letting mould take over etc.) or is it badly equipped or too small? Just trying to get a sense of what sort of recipes you’re after and what would be practical for your situation.

When you say “real dump”, could you be a bit more precise about what restrictions you’re facing? Is it unhygienic (broken work surfaces and so forth, landlord letting mould take over etc.) or is it badly equipped or too small? Just trying to get a sense of what sort of recipes you’re after and what would be practical for your situation.
Hello. Not anything like that. It just needs a good clean. It has been like it for ages.

I have a pretty high tolerance for clutter if it isn't impacting what I want to do. I tend to do cleaning up the kitchen when I need to use it, then leave a bit of a mess :ignore:.
I have a small kitchen and the useful thing is a 24" x 18" board that slides in over the cabinet drawers. I can put it over the sink for extra workspace. I also use an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) quite often. Super easy to batch cook beans, soups, root veggies, grains

Hello Claire, I have a neighbor who sometimes finds herself in a similar situation. In her case she has a very stressful, demanding job (and an unkind boss on top of that), and while she loves to cook, during the week she will tend to let things pile up to the point where it feels overwhelming to tackle it. Her solution is to invite someone over (like me) to lend a little 'moral support' and keep her company so she can feel better about starting her clean-up.

If you know someone who would be able to help you in that way, that is one idea.

Another tactic I've used with myself with messes or other things that seem overwhelming is to tell myself I don't need to 'finish' the task, but only work on it a little bit for a set amount of time. Five minutes, twenty minutes, whatever you feel up to. I tell myself that some progress is better than no progress. Sometimes, I'll keep going after the alloted time is up! I pick the easiest or most obvious thing to do first. If I need to mend something for example, I'll tell myself that I don't need to stitch it up today if I run out of time, but instead only set aside a threaded needle so that I'll be ready to stitch it up later.

Are you looking for something to eat now? If you have a microwave and oatmeal and one clean dish, you can microwave some oatmeal?

Are you eating things you do not want, partly because you're having trouble affording the food you do want?

Are you saying you have some whole-meal flour and want to know some simple ways to prepare it? You could probably mix it with some water, soak a couple of hours, mix with fruit or dried herbs or other flavorings, maybe a pinch of baking powder right before you cook it, and make it either as a pancake or flatbread on the stovetop, or even try microwaving it.

Last edited:
I have found i can pour oat milk over oats in a bowl and leave it for 30-45 minutes and it comes out really well. I use vanilla oatly. No sugar needed but added a soya yoghurt this morning for extra strength as i am unwell with a flu virus. Also unflavoured oat milk covered oats with chopped hazelnuts and a banana.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
This morning i only had chocolate oatly so poured it over the oats in a bowl and ended up with a pasty so put in in the fridge and had it later on with a banana.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I’ve been making some vegan cheese onion and potato pasties with wraps, just brush pb milk over it when folded and air fry or oven, it’s quick and easy, an you can store as much filling in the fridge as you want, just part heat it before putting in the wrap and press the edges with a folk to seal. You can put anything in them and they take 10mins to crisp.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpeg
    IMG_0430.jpeg
    858.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 5
I’ve been making some vegan cheese onion and potato pasties with wraps, just brush pb milk over it when folded and air fry or oven, it’s quick and easy, an you can store as much filling in the fridge as you want, just part heat it before putting in the wrap and press the edges with a folk to seal. You can put anything in them and they take 10mins to crisp.
They look very nice.