I'm tired of anti-tax rhetoric (rant)

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
The concept of taxes has been around for a very long time in human history. There are tax records carved into clay tablets found in the Middle East dating back thousands of years.

And yet the Republicans talk about taxes as if they were some sort of evil plot cooked up by Democratic politicians about 80 years ago to destroy America, and if they (the GOP) got rid of taxes, everyone would be much happier.

And yet if it wasn't for taxes, there would be no public schools, no public services such as fire fighting and prevention and police protection, no 911, no local recycling programs, no public cultural arts programs, no public libraries, etc. That would not make ME happy.

the anti-tax retoric is just a plot by the wealthy to slowly and steadily destroy the middle class. Without a social safety net, without an education the middle class will eventually cease to exist.

When the middle class is gone, and all that'll be left is the super rich and the disenfranchised poor, there will be no way to stop them from changing the laws so that we will all become their effective indentured servants. It's already begun. e.g. People are working more hours than they used to, and the average wage has decreased. Union are being slowly chocked. OSHA laws and workers rights are being dwindled...

As long as I continue to have no say in how my tax dollars are spent, and as long as the wealthy can continue to evade paying their share, I will stay anti-tax.

Wouldn't you rather become part of the movement to reform that, to force the wealthy and the corporations to pay their fair share of taxes, instead of being wholesale against taxes? That's what the Occupy movement is all about.

I just want a tax system in which the government can pay its bills and get out of debt. I feel sick at the deficits we are racking up.

Wouldn't you rather become part of the movement to reform that, to force the wealthy and the corporations to pay their fair share of taxes, instead of being wholesale against taxes? That's what the Occupy movement is all about.
I'm not wholesale against taxes, I am resentful of paying because of the misuse of the funds.

Reactions: sleepydvdr
the anti-tax retoric is just a plot by the wealthy to slowly and steadily destroy the middle class. Without a social safety net, without an education the middle class will eventually cease to exist.

When the middle class is gone, and all that'll be left is the super rich and the disenfranchised poor, there will be no way to stop them from changing the laws so that we will all become their effective indentured servants. It's already begun. e.g. People are working more hours than they used to, and the average wage has decreased. Union are being slowly chocked. OSHA laws and workers rights are being dwindled...

Followed by violent revolution!

And abolition of taxes leads to suffering. /Yoda

I think even worse than that, if you can believe, is anti-taxi rhetoric, such as the recent attempts to get New Yorkers to call them "urine-colored demon machines from the filthiest pits of Hell".

Reactions: Muggle
I like your post beancounter. I work every day off the clock because as a nurse I can't get all my work done in the allotted 8 hours. And I'm not the only one who does this. And I work for a big company and get loaded with more and more paper work which does nothing but protect the company. Doesn't help me and it doesn't help the patients.

'f course, some folks want the rich to pay a bit more than the "fair share".

I like your post beancounter. I work every day off the clock because as a nurse I can't get all my work done in the allotted 8 hours. And I'm not the only one who does this. And I work for a big company and get loaded with more and more paper work which does nothing but protect the company. Doesn't help me and it doesn't help the patients.
Hi kitties, I'm a nurse too. Are you in the US? If so, I wouldn't work off the clock, it is dangerous. If anything happens while you're off the clock, your company isn't going to cover you, and it could put your license in jeopardy. And if you get hurt, worker's comp could deny.

I know all about the ridiculous cya paperwork. Waste of time. :mad:

I'm waiting for the moment when societies start to find a handful of people actually have so much of the country's wealth that there's nobody left to pay them, and the whole thing comes crashing down with an earth-shattering kaboom. I guess it could be averted, but dammit, I want to watch.

Taxes are a necessary thing.

I hear both sides whine about paying them though. The right are very vocal about it, but the left hee haw about it as well under the auspices that they are already financially strapped. I'm strapped but taxes are a necessity, so be it.

I whine about doing my taxes. I ******* hate that ****. The paying part I don't get worked up about, just the paperwork. :(

I whine about doing my taxes. I ****ing hate that ****. The paying part I don't get worked up about, just the paperwork. :(

doing your taxes? lol. i was more referring to the automatic taxes we pay...

i should probably do our taxes.. just to get a taste..i leave it to the other half..

doing your taxes? lol. i was more referring to the automatic taxes we pay...

i should probably do our taxes.. just to get a taste..i leave it to the other half..

Yeah, that just disappears before I see it. Easy peasy. I don't even think about it.

Until it's time to do the taxes. Then I'm am filled with rage for days.

Hi kitties, I'm a nurse too. Are you in the US? If so, I wouldn't work off the clock, it is dangerous. If anything happens while you're off the clock, your company isn't going to cover you, and it could put your license in jeopardy. And if you get hurt, worker's comp could deny.

I know all about the ridiculous cya paperwork. Waste of time. :mad:
Hi, I do work in the U.S.. I work in a large nursing home. I never do any patient care of the clock. I refuse to but I've been working on the floor plenty of times right until night shift comes on. Then I have paper work. I won't do anything else off the clock. Since I work PM, I don't have to worry about a bunch of visitors thinking I'm still on duty. Last week we had two nurses stay almost two hours each off the clock. I won't do more than an hour I've decided. But it's wearing on me for sure.