I lost 15lbs / 7kg at University

Meyersaurus

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been vegan for over 3 years now, and my weight and health have been stable (in good shape) even before that.
But since I started University I have been feeling blue a lot of the times, and I also stopped taking birth control (pill) 1 1/2 months ago.
Now, people kept telling me that I looked unhealthy, extremely thin, and I kept telling myself that they probably exaggerate, until I saw my weight on a scale a month ago.
My height is 1.76m, and my weight went from 65kg to 58kg. It has been 58 since I last checked my weight, so I have managed to not lose any more weight at least. But I can tell that my hips are narrower, and it makes my body look boyish rather than feminine... It's probably a stupid thing to freak out over, but I've always been really happy about my feminine yet athletic figure, and it scares me to see it like this.
Now, I don't specifically try to gain weight, I just try and eat what's healthy, and what satisfies my hunger, which I think should do the trick long term. But what if I only gain belly fat instead of hip fat? Is it even a given that you gain weight at the same places you lost it? Or can I "direct" the fat to my hips in some way?
Thanks for your help

Reactions: Hog
You can't direct the fat. but women tend to put fat on their hips and thighs first. Men put fat on their waistline first. Its not a hard and fast rule. just a tendency

That's good, I guess.. But I also keep losing weight somehow, aren't there any healthy ways to gain/stabilize weight? Or do I just need more time?

Just checked and you are at the very bottom end for a healthy weight. I understand from some reading that being at the low end or even below the low end is the best. That our graphs on healthy weight are skewed to the top because its based on averages and people are just so fat.

I thought it was more common to gain weight in college. Over here we call it the Freshman Fifteen. But I think because of your age and also because of the change in .... almost everything... your body will change too.

Reactions: Meyersaurus and Hog
You may wish to eat more food... that might help a bit and if you are otherwise healthy then increase the fat percentage a bit, more avocado's, a few more nuts etc. I think it is unlikely that you will gain in any particular area over another, especially if you are active.

Also, I have noticed that people are being very critical, these days, of people that are a good healthy weight, saying they are gaunt and unhealthy, when what they are is normal and they way we should be, it is just that by comparison to so many unhealthy overweight people, normal has started to appear unhealthy. This happened a while ago to me with my sister. I sent her photos of my step daughter who went plant-based and had done an amazing job of losing weight and when my sister saw the photos she criticized her and said she looked too skinny. She was not too skinny and was the weight she had been for years, before she had gained a lot.

As @Lou points out, you are within the healthy range.

Emma JC

Also, I have noticed that people are being very critical, these days, of people that are a good healthy weight, saying they are gaunt and unhealthy, when what they are is normal and they way we should be, it is just that by comparison to so many unhealthy overweight people, normal has started to appear unhealthy. T

I get the same thing. When I tell people I still need to lose a few pounds they tell me I'm crazy. (I'm closer to the top of the healthy weight range than the bottom). Of course, the people who are telling me that are very obese.

It's like everyone's perspective is skewed because of all the fat people. Besides us being fatter now than ever, the charts are based on averages. You get a higher average not only because there are more fat people. But because they are fatter than ever. Get a few people who in the study who are over 100 pounds overweight and.... well you can't find people who are 100 pounds underweight to even things out.

So people's perspectives are off and even the graphs and charts are off. The best weight is at the bottom of the recommended range - or even just below.

With all that said there is an issue for young athletic (or anorexic) women. Women should keep their body fat percentage over 18%. If you go to a gym you can have one of the trainers calculate it with calipers. Or you can do it at home with the pinch test or an online BMI calculator.

As far as gaining weight, I've found that a DVD of a season of a TV show, combined with beer and potato chips is very effective.
;)

But maybe the highest calorie dense healthy food is nuts and avocados. Look up Tom Brady's avocado smoothie recipe and have one of those a day. Or a banana and peanut butter smoothie.
????

Reactions: Hog and Emma JC
You may wish to eat more food... that might help a bit and if you are otherwise healthy then increase the fat percentage a bit, more avocado's, a few more nuts etc. I think it is unlikely that you will gain in any particular area over another, especially if you are active.

Also, I have noticed that people are being very critical, these days, of people that are a good healthy weight, saying they are gaunt and unhealthy, when what they are is normal and they way we should be, it is just that by comparison to so many unhealthy overweight people, normal has started to appear unhealthy. This happened a while ago to me with my sister. I sent her photos of my step daughter who went plant-based and had done an amazing job of losing weight and when my sister saw the photos she criticized her and said she looked too skinny. She was not too skinny and was the weight she had been for years, before she had gained a lot.

As @Lou points out, you are within the healthy range.

Emma JC
So much this.
People love to tell normal-weight people they are to "skinny" (a hateful word, IMO) to make themselves feel better about being overweight. It needs to stop.

"people are being very critical, these days, of people that are a good healthy weight, saying they are gaunt and unhealthy, when what they are is normal and they way we should be," I AGREE.

We spend too much time thinking about what is on the outside of a person and not what is in the inside.

"Until you get older, then you lose your butt and it goes all to your midsection" According to my wife, I never had a butt.

• Haha
Reactions: TofuRobot