I am sick. Advice on meal idea.

kibbles

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
i am sick (not because of a vegan diet. i get seasonal colds every year). i've been sick for the past 4 days or so. apparently i have some kind of bacterial infection because this morning i lost my appetite, and my sense of smell and taste were severely diminished. so i decided to go on a carb strike. i assume that my sense of smell is worse off partly because i've been craving different types of food. apparently the bacterial feeds on glucose and zinc? i've been craving mostly bread and fruit, but i've also had slight cravings for animal products such as eggs, bacon, and waffles, when i see similar types of food online.
i guess the carb heavy cravings are from the bacteria and the animal product cravings is my body desperate to eat something.

i assume that eating anything with over 10 grams of carbs will make me remain sick for a lot longer. but in the worst case scenario i decided that i will eat an apple, since apples are fantastic and it should be more satisfying than a much smaller white potato.

TL;DR & Main Point:

trying to starve out bacterial infection. can't consume many carbs or zinc.

aside from that, a while ago i came up with a meal idea. it's not technically a "meal", but it should be warm and as tasteful as i can get to enjoy.
the meal idea is that i will boil water, throw in a bunch of seasoning for flavor, and some miso to enhance the flavor and add a bit of kick... i guess it's pretty much soup.
i could just take my time sipping on it or gulp it down when i'm in the mood. of course miso can be high in carbs too so i need to go easy on it.
is this a good idea?

otherwise, any meal ideas? i can't go to the store or ask anyone to buy food for me, and of course i can't consume animal products.

Bacterial infections can become serious. I wouldn't try to treat this yourself. Please see your doctor.

Also, starving yourself of carbohydrates isn't likely to treat a bacterial infection. If this were true, then cats (which are obligate carnivores) wouldn't get bacterial infections.

Also, just to be safe, have yourself tested for novel coronavirus.

Be safe and take care!

I second everything @David3 said above and also encourage you to see at doctor and ask for a test.

I just read a story about a lady who did not know she had Covid-19 because she also had only light symptoms and one of them was a loss of taste. This is anecdotal only, of course. Here is a link to that story.

I wish you good health! Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: Val and Lou
i guess i'll try to see a professional. moving around a lot isn't too easy. should i see my family doctor or just go to a hospital?

I suggest that you call your family doctor and ask them what you should do. Depending on where you live and what your exposure to the virus is they will hopefully have suggestions.

please also try to eat something, including carbs, as a body needs fuel to move and to heal - just because you don't feel hungry doesn't mean you shouldn't fuel up anyways

Emma JC

Reactions: Val, David3 and Lou
I don't think a loss of taste/smell/appetite points to a bacterial infection in particular, nor have I ever heard of carbs being "bad" for bacterial infections.

If you don't have a regular doctor, and think you might have coronavirus, call your county health department for advice.

It is not recommended to go to the emergency room if you think you might have coronavirus. If you have it, you'll put other people at risk if you just show up. If you don't have it, you'll be putting yourself at risk.

Locally, the recommendation is to call the county health department, who can then send you somewhere with the proper precautions in place and testing kits available.

First time I've ever heard from anyone, on any diet, that carbs prolong illness!
Miso is my go-to when I'm feeling under, with ginger and garlic, maybe add some broccoli or greens

...and isn't zinc the first line of defense with most viruses?

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC