How's your weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veganite, we seem to have the same weather today. Here its 70°, some high clouds, and a little breeze.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
upload_2018-8-9_7-47-19.png

I can live with this. It does seem to get a bit uncomfortable by afternoon though.

Our weather seems very similar. Except for lately we have been getting a lot of smoky haze.

Unfortunately, we have more similarities than we'd like, with the wild fires affecting your home state and my province. Luckily our air quality is pretty good at the moment, but we've also had our share of smoke pollution from all the BC wild fires. I love summer, but this province needs the rain...and without the lightening.

Oh. Sorry. I didn't know you have fires now too.

Also, I bet come winter our weather is different.

I didn't know you have fires now too.

Wow, really? I guess American news channels don't cover Canadian stories? We've had wildfires raging here since springtime.

BC is a pretty big province, with a lot of forests and a lot of wildfires, annually. To give you a better idea, at a glace, I think BC is about twice the size of California...maybe bigger. You could always have a look on Google Maps & Earth.

The Wiki stats for 2018 aren't available yet, obviously, since we still have some time to go. Here's the 2017 stats, and this year is projected to be much worse than last, unfortunately: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_British_Columbia_wildfires

This year the air quality has been good though - at least where I live. Last year was horrible. I guess it depends on where the fires are burning and which way the wind is blowing.

Trust me when I say, Lou, if this were a contest, I would rather see us both losing this one, or winning, whichever way you look at it. My heart goes out to the people that have lost their homes, or worse yet, their lives or loved ones. I know how it feels to lose a home. I lost a house to fire a few decades ago. It was an incredibly humbling experience. It definitely gives you a different perspective on life. Those things we think are precious, as in material objects, mean nothing if you're dead. I was lucky to survive my house fire.

As far as the weather goes in the winter, we're comparable to Seattle, WA. It's dry and hot all summer and wet and miserable all winter, and because most everything stays green all winter, it really looks like we have two official seasons here - wet and dry season.

Wow, really? I guess American news channels don't cover Canadian stories? We've had wildfires raging here since springtime.

I'm not sure you should blame the American News channels. I may just not have my news antennae up for fires in Canada. Most of my attention is on the California fires, the Manafort trial, and the 49ers. I also been following the LeBron James vs Trump saga. Oh. And Cows. Seems like I have been seeing a lot of cows news.

I'm actually pretty far from any of the fires. Mostly its just been a smoky haze in the upper atmosphere. Down in Southern California, they have instituted the Spare The Air days.

I live in an apartment and we had a car fire in the garage and had to be evacuated. It was just an inconvenience. Then like 30 years ago, I was staying with my sister in her apartment when her next door neighbor fell asleep smoking in bed and died. I woke up to smoke. I still tease my sister that it was good that I was there because I had to wake up her, her dog, and grab the cat. We were evacuated then too.

I sort of know how big BC is. when I was younger I rode my motorcycle thru some of it. Rode thru most of Jasper and Banf. It would have been a better trip if it wasn't snowing and raining (in July).

snowing and raining (in July)

Yep, that can happen up in the interior, BC. In fact, I think it snowed there this year in July as well. It isn't the most common thing, but it does happen. Where I live that's unheard of. We do get snow occasionally, but not excessively, like the rest of Canada.

Vancouver is sort of known as Canada's California, because of the mild winters. Don't get me wrong, we still get a real winter, but compared to say, Jasper, Alberta, we'd look like a tropical paradise. I worked in Jasper back in the early 80's, and outdoors, I might add. It used to average well below zero in the winter there. I remember working in 20 below temps. We rarely go subzero in Vancouver.

I'd still rather live is Southern Cali, where I can ride my motorcycle all year. That would be awesome. You can do it here, the odd winter, but it's cold, wet, and not for me at my age.

Hi,
In my day (today), the weather has been nuts. I was wandering around Exeter, Devon, UK with a support worker and, at some times, it would rain. At others, the sun would be out. I would get hot and I would have to take my hoodie and my coat off!
I just looked outside via our conservatory and there were clouds, but a blue sky.
Have a great day and/or night!

Me: I am in my new home. I'll go to sleep at 1030 like the nerd I am and sleep to my heart's content

Also me: *wakes up irrepressively to the 5 am Humboldt fog*

So yeah, lazing about today, watched it go from a Twin Peaks like mist in the trees, to a sleet gray chilly sky, to a typical 67 degree sunny afternoon, all while congratulating myself for moving to the temperate rain forest to insulate myself from meat eaters and climate change.

Hint hint.

Reactions: Veganite
I can just hear the forecast now..."Partly cloudy, with smoky periods, 50 percent chance of crappy air to breathe."

upload_2018-8-24_12-40-5.png

Rainy af. It was gorgeous yesterday, like Carolina spring, in fact I weirdly half-dreamed of James Taylor singing "Carolina in my Mind" but we need this rain again. It was such normal, pleasing fog and rain over the winter break, perfect for me to read books and hole up in my condo and cook and clean and watch documentaries, but it brightened again for students. No I am serious, it's like the Lord God Christ said "hello students we want you to feel happy about being here" and gave us perfect California Mediterranean weather.

We need this rain though. Let it rain!

Reactions: betiPT
Status
Not open for further replies.