How to test your computer for DNS Changer Malware

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Changer Working Group, Associated Press / July 7, 2012)
By Salvador Rodriguez, Los Angeles Times
July 7, 2012

As many as 64,000 Americans' computers may still be infected by malware that will cause them to lose Internet service Monday, so make sure you aren't among those affected if you haven't already.

The problem is a result of a large online advertising scam that took over more than 4 million computers around the world. When the FBI went in to shut down the scheme, the agency realized that turning off the malicious servers would cause infected computers to lose access to the Internet. So the FBI set up two other servers, which have been connecting infected users to the Internet, but they will be shut down at 12:01 a.m. EDT Monday.

There are various ways to test your computer for the so-called DNS Changer Malware. But remember, this applies only to Windows users, so if you have an Apple computer, you're fine.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0707-tech-savvy-malware-20120707,0,392027.story

I used the Mcafee site and got the all-clear. *exhales*

Thanks for that. My husband mentioned this this morning in the car, but he generally believes everything he reads about the internet so I was skeptical.

Well, when it comes to computer viruses and other problems of that nature, you can't be too careful, so I'd rather be safe than sorry and check these things out. :D