How to spot?

Deniza

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I am a high school student and I stay on campus an eat at the cafeteria (that wasn't my choice, but the food fee is included in the accomodation fee). For the last two years, the cooks told me if the meal has any animal products in the food. I asked if there is butter, or margarine, or chicken broth in rice, bulgur, or pasta. 90% of the time there was. This year, however they say that there is only vegetable oil in those foods. So I've been eating and I noticed that sometimes it tastes differently. I am suspicious about them lying to me. How do you spot butter or margarine or chicken broth in your rice? Probably I am not going to eat those again, or I will tell them how I got very sick after the food, so they know that my "allergy" is serious.

I guess you are in the US?
I am in the UK so I don't know the systems you have in place in the US,
but surely you have sone one with authority you can raise your concerns with,
a student body, a school nurse or medical practitioner, maybe even the head of school?

find the resources available and raise medical concerns as in allergy concerns with them and discuss what is and is not available to assist you with a suitable diet for you,

lucky for us in the UK we have a law that means allergens would need to be kept on file and viewable at request in restaurants and all labeling on food needs to state all possible allergens, so in some cases, some food will state nut free but made in a factory that uses nuts.

good luck
and I hope I have helped

Bran