How to incorporate more legumes into my diet?

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I usually just put kidney beans into my pasta and that's about it. If anyone could give my recipes that are legume based that would be great.

I add about a third of a cup of split red lentils into my steel cut oats. I make bean veggie/potato/tomato soup and throw in everything we love. Lots of hummus. A can of rinsed chick peans in a simple salad with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, lime juice and some spices. Breakfast beans (canned) on toast. Simple chili. Burrito bowls. Refried beans with tortillas chips (mix in sauted onions, peppers, jalapenos, olives etc)

Emma JC

Some of my favorite recipes are with legumes.
I'll provide some links at the bottom but I'm already tired of looking these things up so if you don't see a link for something you can check out my Copy Me That page.
I'm Lou2005.
Or ask me. Or google it.

First off, remember that soybeans are beans. Every glass of soy milk is a serving of beans. I think all the vegan diet books I have read recommend 3 servings (about 1.5 cups) of beans a day. One smoothie with 1.5 cups of soy milk and you are halfway there. you can make a cafe latte or a matcha latte with a half cup of vanilla soymilk. or a mocha with a half cup of chocolate plant milk. (have you tried Silk chocolate almond coconut? Its made with pea protein. (peas are also a legume).

And of course, tofu is made from beans. Half a cup of tofu counts as a serving of beans. You can have tofu as an appetizer. I used the word raw the other day and got scolded. You should say "fresh" or "uncooked". but basically just right out of the package. cut it into cubes and sprinkle it with soy sauce and fresh ginger.

You can also add fresh tofu to all kinds of things. A pasta sauce, a salad, a smoothie. My favorite way to cook tofu is in a stir fry. IMHO knowing how to make a good stir fry is an advanced cooking skill - but well worth mastering. Another tofu dish that I love is the Tofu Scramble. It's not just for breakfast. And you can use tofu scramble as a filling in a burrito.

Or more elaborate you can "bread and bake" your tofu. it's great as an appetizer or added to salads.

Speaking of burritos, I will batch cook a bunch of burritos at once and freeze them. then you can nuke them whenever you don't feel like cooking. I used to take one in the car with me and eat it on the way to work. you can also take them to work and heat them up for lunch. And although most of the time I just use canned refried beans to make my burritos, you can make a big ol' pot of beans for your burritos. and you don't have to always use refried beans, there are lots and lots of different ways to incorporate different kinds of beans in your burritos. From black to white and combos, too. Plus you can add all kinds of stuff to your burritos to make them more interesting and nutritionally complete. Vegan cheeses, salsa, chopped veggies (celery and onion), cooked or roasted veggies (zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms).

I fell in love with Cuban black beans over rice when I had it at a Cuban restaurant. I was surprised you can buy the Cuban black beans in a can at Trader Joes. There are a number of ways you can prepare it on a stovetop. and some of the recipes are pretty elaborate. I have found plantains to be a little too hard to find, a little too expensive and don't really add enough to the experience to justify their cost and hard-to-find-ness. But I think some would argue that it's not really Cuban without the plantains.

I make Cuban black beans in my Instapot. And let me take this opportunity that IMHO an Instapot is a really good investment if you are going to make beans a lot. I really like the set and forget nature of an instant pot.

Oh, beans and rice is so good both economically and nutritionally. Cuban black beans have the added advantage of being tasty and a little exotic.

Another good dish is Lentil mushroom stew over potatoes. I use Yukon golds to make mashed potatoes but you can really add some extra flavor and nutrition if you use sweet potatoes.

Both of these recipes include decent amounts of veggies as well.

I'm not positive its necessary but many of these recipes call for soaking the beans ahead of time.

Some of my favorite recipes are with legumes.
I'll provide some links at the bottom but I'm already tired of looking these things up so if you don't see a link for something you can check out my Copy Me That page.
I'm Lou2005.
Or ask me. Or google it.

First off, remember that soybeans are beans. Every glass of soy milk is a serving of beans. I think all the vegan diet books I have read recommend 3 servings (about 1.5 cups) of beans a day. One smoothie with 1.5 cups of soy milk and you are halfway there. you can make a cafe latte or a matcha latte with a half cup of vanilla soymilk. or a mocha with a half cup of chocolate plant milk. (have you tried Silk chocolate almond coconut? Its made with pea protein. (peas are also a legume).

And of course, tofu is made from beans. Half a cup of tofu counts as a serving of beans. You can have tofu as an appetizer. I used the word raw the other day and got scolded. You should say "fresh" or "uncooked". but basically just right out of the package. cut it into cubes and sprinkle it with soy sauce and fresh ginger.

You can also add fresh tofu to all kinds of things. A pasta sauce, a salad, a smoothie. My favorite way to cook tofu is in a stir fry. IMHO knowing how to make a good stir fry is an advanced cooking skill - but well worth mastering. Another tofu dish that I love is the Tofu Scramble. It's not just for breakfast. And you can use tofu scramble as a filling in a burrito.

Or more elaborate you can "bread and bake" your tofu. it's great as an appetizer or added to salads.

Speaking of burritos, I will batch cook a bunch of burritos at once and freeze them. then you can nuke them whenever you don't feel like cooking. I used to take one in the car with me and eat it on the way to work. you can also take them to work and heat them up for lunch. And although most of the time I just use canned refried beans to make my burritos, you can make a big ol' pot of beans for your burritos. and you don't have to always use refried beans, there are lots and lots of different ways to incorporate different kinds of beans in your burritos. From black to white and combos, too. Plus you can add all kinds of stuff to your burritos to make them more interesting and nutritionally complete. Vegan cheeses, salsa, chopped veggies (celery and onion), cooked or roasted veggies (zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms).

I fell in love with Cuban black beans over rice when I had it at a Cuban restaurant. I was surprised you can buy the Cuban black beans in a can at Trader Joes. There are a number of ways you can prepare it on a stovetop. and some of the recipes are pretty elaborate. I have found plantains to be a little too hard to find, a little too expensive and don't really add enough to the experience to justify their cost and hard-to-find-ness. But I think some would argue that it's not really Cuban without the plantains.

I make Cuban black beans in my Instapot. And let me take this opportunity that IMHO an Instapot is a really good investment if you are going to make beans a lot. I really like the set and forget nature of an instant pot.

Oh, beans and rice is so good both economically and nutritionally. Cuban black beans have the added advantage of being tasty and a little exotic.

Another good dish is Lentil mushroom stew over potatoes. I use Yukon golds to make mashed potatoes but you can really add some extra flavor and nutrition if you use sweet potatoes.

Both of these recipes include decent amounts of veggies as well.

I'm not positive its necessary but many of these recipes call for soaking the beans ahead of time.

I love black beans and sadly they are difficult to find over here. I also like Borlotti and pinto beans.

Reactions: Emma JC
Puree a tin of beans plus seasoning and make sandwiches adding extra vegetables and sliced seitan or tofu.
Huh. I've never tried that.
I assume you drain the can of beans. What is the consistency like? Is it like jam? What veggies are good with this? Lettuce and tomato?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
put them in everything! I don't really even know how to answer because I use beans for everything, like omnivores do with meat.
All soups. Casseroles-put a grain, veggies, seasoning, onions garlic and beans in a casserole. add a sauce and bake
Stir fries-I like to thaw a frozen veg blend so they cook quickly in a hot wok or cast iron, edamame is particularly good with this
Edamame pods- most often fully cooked and just need to be heated--but check--they're lightly salted and a great snack
Garbanzos, aka chickpeas or cici beans are very versatile, I guess because they're pretty finger friendly. You can roast them in oven or in a hot cast iron and season for snacks. Hummus--although all beans are good for spreads. Lightly mashed for sandwich spread--add black salt to be like egg salad. Add kelp or seaweed something for tuna salad. Curry is also really good.
Bean burgers. Add oats- I like to powder them or use quick cooking--ground flaxseeds, minced veggies, you can just mash or put through a food processor till it holds a patty shape. Cover and chill a bit to let it all combine and stay together well
Tofu, tempeh--don't forget this from whole soybeans
Lentils-not beans but same category. Red lentils cook down to a mush and thicken things very well
Baked beans
Salads
Sauces
Just seasoned--I'm now having a small bowl of white beans with some everything bagel seasoning to tide me over.
Chili-- my chili is 3 kinds of beans I soak, equal amounts--next day I drain and add the same amount of red lentils, chopped onion, celery, peppers, seasoning, some liquid smoke, cover with water and Instant Pot for 8 minutes. After cooking add a can of chopped or crushed tomatoes. If stove top add more water and cook till done--tomatoes after cooking

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Huh. I've never tried that.
I assume you drain the can of beans. What is the consistency like? Is it like jam? What veggies are good with this? Lettuce and tomato?
I've never adding seitan or tofu but it's like hummus, just different beans. Or like refried beans.
Oh I love refried beans! Look for fat free to avoid lard if buying canned. I just cook pintos and season and mix with an immersion blender or food processor

Pita's or tortilla wraps are good for beans whether whole or mashed. Just add veggies sauteed or raw
Enchiladas--spread corn tortillas with a mix of refried beans, salsa, whole beans, shredded vegan cheese, roll up and squish together in a casserole. Top with a sauce. I make one by just simmering jalepanos, onions and garlic and blending with a bit of vinegar to taste, then add it with a can of crushed tomatoes. Bake

Tacos too of course, or stuffed peppers

Stuffed cabbage too-- I use rosemary seasoned white beans or chickpeas, lightly mashed, with a grain like bulgar, rice, or really anything you prefer. Steam the cabbage, peel off leaves stuff and roll. Add the usual carrots, celery, onions, garlic and remaining chopped cabbage, in a casserole, and top with a seasoned crushed tomato sauce. I;ve done in Instant Pot but of course the oven is fine, just cover and bake

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou