How to get tofu to the consistency of breadcrumbs ?

ski

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
how does one achieve breadcrummy tofu ?

Try freezing it first, then wring out as much water as possible. I find different brands behave differently, but the freezing should help you achieve the desired texture.

I started to type out all the directions but you know one video is worth four thousand words.

Sarah uses Super Firm tofu. I totally recommend Super Firm tofu for this and other tofu recipes. It is more expensive than regular tofu but I think it is more economical because it has a much lower water content. AND you don't have to freeze it or squeeze it - it is already super firm.

I also like Sarah's tip on using one hand for dipping in soy milk and the other hand for dipping it into breadcrumbs. No more "breaded" hands.

The other thing about baking your tofu is, you don't have to slave over a hot oven while if fries.

AND you don't have to freeze it or squeeze it - it is already super firm.

I have a feeling the OP wants the tofu to be like breadcrumbs in texture (consistency), where I think you're thinking they want it coated in breadcrumbs.

I freeze tofu all the time, but for a different reason. I find it makes it sort of grainy in texture though. It does, however, make it much more absorbent. That's why I freeze it.

If it is in fact the tofu you wish to be like breadcrumbs, then I'd suggest pulsing it in a food processor until you get the desired consistency. I'd think super firm would be the best choice for that. Freezing does change the consistency, so trying that and the processor would be my next guess.

Well, I had never heard of Breadcrummy tofu. or tofu that is like bread crumbs. (is that even possible). but I've heard of breaded tofu. So I just assumed he wanted something breaded.

Well, maybe the OP will clear it up.

and the Super Firm tofu isn't that absorbent. extra firm is better for soaking up marinades.

can you freeze tofu ? wont it make you sick

can you freeze tofu ? wont it make you sick

You can freeze tofu. You can even thaw it out. What's even more surprising, it's even still edible after that.

I'm not sure why you would think that would make you sick, but its 100% safe, I can assure you.

Reactions: Lou
The reason I freeze tofu is because I store them in the freezer. When you are at the store buying tofu, why buy just one block when you can buy 2 (or 4) and keep the extras in the freezer.
I do appreciate the change in texture that you get when it thaws out, tho.

You can thaw them out on the kitchen counter in about 4 hours but I like to just thaw them out in the frig. It takes longer but what I do is whenever I take a block out of the frig I just replace it with one from the freezer.

Veganite is our resident expert on food safety. I wonder if he has any tips on how long tofu can last in the frig unopened and opened. And cooked. My guess is that its at least 4 days.

I know I have frozen the super firm. but I don't think there was much difference in texture. I've pretty much stopped marinating tofu. I just fry it or bake it. But right now I have some super firm marinating in the frig. So I can report back to you later.

Reactions: Veganite
My guess is that its at least 4 days.

In my humble opinion, that's a darn good guess. I'd have suggested 3-5 days. However, if the best before date was almost expired when you froze the tofu, that number could be less.

Oh, and trust me, when tofu goes bad, you will smell it. It has a pungent sour smell when it goes. I'd still recommend food safety guidelines, when handling any perishable food, but don't forget your nose, smell is a pretty good indicator.

In my humble opinion, that's a darn good guess. I'd have suggested 3-5 days. However, if the best before date was almost expired when you froze the tofu, that number could be less.

Oh, and trust me, when tofu goes bad, you will smell it. It has a pungent sour smell when it goes. I'd still recommend food safety guidelines, when handling any perishable food, but don't forget your nose, smell is a pretty good indicator.

I haven't ever had tofu gone bad then cause I've never noticed it smell bad. but i did throw away some last week. I know it was in the frig for a week and it had become slimy.

And BTW, Here is a good tip: if you buy tofu in a tub and use just a portion of it, put the unused tofu in a Tupperware and cover it with water. that makes it stay fresh longer. At least that is what I have been told. It seems to work.

Oh, i just got a good idea. When I buy the super firm I cut the package up in quarters. One quarter per recipe. When I had to throw away the tofu, it was the last quarter. So next time I will freezer the other quarters and defrost them as necessary.
Oh! you can probably do that with regular tofu, too. I wonder if you should freeze them in a small container filled with water.