How should i go vegan when joining the military?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I have been considering joining the U.S. armed forces.
I was considering a commission through the Air Force:
Are special dietary meals provided?

Preparation and service of the 12,000 meals served daily in the Cadet Dining Facility prohibit offering special dietary menus based solely on religious faiths or individual convictions. Therefore, offering them on a day-to-day basis may be difficult, if not impossible to accommodate. Cadets in this situation should work the issue through their Cadet Group Chaplain. However, during the lunch meal, cadets are offered the opportunity to sit at “lite tables” where low-fat, low-calorie meals are served. Vegetarian tables at lunch are available upon request and the evening buffet also provides vegetarian fare.
https://www.academyadmissions.com/a...cadet-life-and-recreation-faq/#diningfacility

I have also heard that if you want to do training at certain schools for special forces, you eat what they give you or you pass out due to exercise requirements.

So basically
I see no road for staying vegetarian or even vegan in the military 100% of the time. The uniform also has animal products.

Last edited:
I see no road for staying vegetarian or even vegan in the military 100% of the time. The uniform also has animal products.
Hi Dev,
Just do your best. Many of us have gone vegetarian first. There is also the pescetarian option (vegetarian + fish). . Some compromises have to be made in life. I hope you're able to get back to being vegan in the end.
Good luck.

So it would not be ethically wrong to use animal products in the military as they are required?
The ethos says "as far as is practical and possible."
I can still encourage veganism and a cruelty-free lifestyle to my peers, right?

So it would not be ethically wrong to use animal products in the military as they are required?
The ethos says "as far as is practical and possible."
I can still encourage veganism and a cruelty-free lifestyle to my peers, right?
That is certainly how most people would understand the ethos, I believe. As far as your peers are concerned, I would lead by example and not evangelize. To preach to them could be counterproductive.

Last edited:
Perhaps by not joining the military. If you dont want to be part of the reason animals die, you probably should be of the mindset that it is not okay for people in other countries to do so either.