How far would you travel for a pet?

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
My parents can't find a dalmation in the area. They're travelling from upstate New York down to near Jacksonville to get a dalmation. Something like 1,200 miles. So, how far would you travel for a pet?

I've never wanted a specific breed - and there's always plenty of dogs in local shelters or rescues. So it's never really came up for me to travel.

Reactions: Scorpius
Probably 5-6 hours but someone would have to come with me. Maybe longer depending on special circumstances.

Cat, shelter hands down, I can't imagine not being able to find a suitable cat there. Shelter would be the first stop if I wanted a dog and more than likely one could find a good companion. That being said I hold no moral superiority over someone who wants a particular breed and is willing to travel a long ways for them. Pets are very personal and dog breeds have very different personality traits. Personally I like friendly, energetic somewhat hyper dogs, that comes first if we both want to be happy with each other and if one has to travel to find said match, so be it.

Reactions: Scorpius and KLS52
A little further than the nearest shelter - there's an amazing one that isn't the closest but I love the way they operate and everyone who works there is so friendly. So that's as far as I would travel from my current location.

I also think it depends on the circumstances. I got my two girl cats from an adoption event at a pet supply store in West Los Angeles, which is very close to Santa Monica, but when I got Bear, I drove to danakscully64's house in Riverside, which according to this site, is a driving distance of 72.3 miles. The drive back to Santa Monica was about two hours, and poor Bear meowed almost nonstop all the way there. For a nonstop drive, I think that should be the limit for cats. For dogs, it's easier to stop and let the dog out to stretch his or her legs, drink some water, do his/her business.

I'd travel across the country to adopt one. I wouldn't walk across the street to buy one.

I don't have any breed preferences either, but I tend to like the dogs most people won't deal with. So yes, I'd travel for one.

August 29th, 2010: Found out that my brother-in-law could no longer look after his cat, Cookie. As soon as my husband and I heard, we called him and said we were on our way. We drove 460 miles to get her. That was the most significant drive of my lifetime. My husband, myself, she and her 3 brother-kitties (who are all biological brothers) couldn't be happier because of it. @.@

I drove to another town in my county, about 30 minutes each way, to adopt my two kittens. Because I saw them on Craig's list and the calico looked so similar to my precious girl that died of old age about six months earlier. I said I didn't care what the kittens looked like but deep down I think I wanted another calico. And I got one!

Here is the thing though. I love both my kitties so much. But there is something a little extra special about my tabby.

Here is the thing though. I love both my kitties so much. But there is something a little extra special about my tabby.

It happens. Sometimes they just end up with that personality that does you in and steals your heart. My kittens are still very young so it's hard to tell, but the tiger boy does things that remind me of Thor. As much as I love the tortie girl...she's super cuddly and affectionate...the boy just has that thing about him. I think he may end up being special.

Cybil just turned 18 and she is the longest living cat I've had to date. Yet there is something lacking. I care for her very much but there was never any real bonding between us. Sometimes I feel bad about that but she just isn't a very nice cat, sad to say.

Reactions: thefadedone
It happens. Sometimes they just end up with that personality that does you in and steals your heart. My kittens are still very young so it's hard to tell, but the tiger boy does things that remind me of Thor. As much as I love the tortie girl...she's super cuddly and affectionate...the boy just has that thing about him. I think he may end up being special.

Cybil just turned 18 and she is the longest living cat I've had to date. Yet there is something lacking. I care for her very much but there was never any real bonding between us. Sometimes I feel bad about that but she just isn't a very nice cat, sad to say.
It's wonderful that you have a kitty that reminds you of a beloved pet.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52