News Hotels and restaurants being 'held hostage by TripAdvisor blackmailers'

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
This is TripAdvisor's solution:
“If an owner experiences this, we urge them to contact us immediately. We have a way for owners to proactively report threats before a corresponding review is submitted.”

It's very similar to Ebay, in that it allows the seller to counter with their "side of the story". Although on Ebay, the seller's response is after the bad review, not before. Not sure how TA plans to act on a bad review before it happens. "proactive".

This is TripAdvisor's solution:
“If an owner experiences this, we urge them to contact us immediately. We have a way for owners to proactively report threats before a corresponding review is submitted.”

It's very similar to Ebay, in that it allows the seller to counter with their "side of the story". Although on Ebay, the seller's response is after the bad review, not before. Not sure how TA plans to act on a bad review before it happens. "proactive".

That's just another 'rogues charter' though ..

All you have to do with any customer you suspect is likely to complain is this: Get your blackmail report in before they can file a bad review or complaint against you.

That, incidentaly, is not similar to how it works on feeBay.

It's exactly how it works on feeBay.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone would attempt to exploit this loophole.

And I suppose this would be a problem with any review system which is as open as this.

I guess one way they could make the reviews more trustworthy would be to force reviewers to link the reviews e.g. to their Facebook profile, or somehow link it to the their real-life identity.

All you have to do with any customer you suspect is likely to complain is this: Get your blackmail report in before they can file a bad review or complaint against you.

But if they don't try blackmail, you end up looking like an idiot.

This is new to me. I've only had the opportunity to respond to a bad review, not make some preemptive strike.

I suppose a business could try to collect evidence that someone was trying to blackmail them. Microphones in bowties.

Reactions: ledboots