Hot dog and hamburger buns

Placido6536

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello,
Can anyone point me in the direction of a some healthy vegan recipes for hot dog and hamburger buns please?
Many thanks
Mark

In any recipe for bread or baked goods, you can make the following substitutions:

plant based milk for milk

For eggs: one tablespoon flaxseed meal whisked together with 3 tablespoons water = one egg. The mixture has to sit a couple of minutes; it will thicken and get to the consistency of a whisked egg. I just do this before I assemble the rest of the ingredients.

Vegan margarine for butter. For pie crusts, I use vegetable shortening. For brushing on bread dough before rising, I use olive oil.

That's all you need to veganize baked goods (except meringues).

Last edited:
Loving it Vegan has a very simple bread recipe that, of course, can be shaped into whatever bun you like.

• 4 cups (520g) Whole Wheat Flour*
  • 1 Packet (11g) Instant Yeast (~1 Tbsp)* (10g package works also)
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Maple Syrup (Maple syrup can be replaced by another sweetener such as agave nectar or other syrup.)
  • 2 cups (480ml) Warm Water
  1. Add the flour to a mixing bowl with the yeast and salt and mix together.
  2. Dissolve the maple syrup in the warm water and then add to the dry ingredients.
  3. Mix – don’t knead – until you have a sticky well combined dough.
  4. Transfer to a greased 9×5 loaf pan. You can also line the bottom with parchment paper if you think there will be any chance of it sticking.
  5. Cover and leave to rise for 20 minutes.
  6. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
  7. After 20 minutes when the dough has risen, bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
  8. Absolutely BEST when fresh, but will keep for a day or two in a closed container. After which you can make the most delicious toast.
Emma JC

Sorry for this being a picture I took of my recipe binder, but I use this for burger and hotdog buns, as well as dinner rolls. A little more dense than most are used to, but they taste amazing. Note this recipe is for a bread maker (I use one to proof and handle the mixing/kneading and the rising.) If not using a bread machine, follow the mixing/kneading/rising that is is emma JC's post. Oh, for egg replacer I just make a flax egg (1/4 cup hot water with 2 tbs of flax meal, stir occasionally until thick).

Picture of bun recipe

The 1/4 cup of maple syrup really does help the taste pop, and the vital wheat gluten makes the whole wheat flour work more like white flour.

Edit: I have no idea where I got this recipe from, but it is heavily modified from its original source

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC