Help with food when you have all

Fluffsnuts

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi, we're already lifestyle vegans, all household items, clothes, cleaning products and toiletries/ make up are vegan and we don't eat eggs or dairy however due to my allergies we are really struggling to give up meat. Recipe ideas which do not include the following would be really really appreciated so we can make the move. They also need to be quick as we both work full time and need to feed the kids after wrap around care.

Soya (so tofu)
Quorn
All beans
Peanuts
Chickpeas
Lentils

Am I asking the impossible? I can have lentils and chickpeas occasionally without issue (twice a month or so) but the others are total no goes.

Other than seitan are there any other quick and easy protein sources?

Thanks in advance.

Pasta and peas is a complete protein - I like to make a pea puree and then make a 'risotto' out of orzo pasta. It's really nice and very quick.

And you could find a pea based vegan protein powder if you aren't averse to such things - I guess you could have that and feed the family beans instead? I don't think it would be too much extra work.

Peas are also a legume - so technically/botanically a bean.

Maybe not impossible but very very difficult.

It might be worth working out the solution from the other end and treat your allergies. There is a process called desensitization. It's pretty new and you would need to find a doctor who specializes in it. There may even be a clinical study you could participate in.

But back to your question, all vegetables have adequate amounts of protein - its just that you need very large quantities. And since vegetables are so low in calories you can eat large amounts of them and not get fat.

For example, 7 heads of lettuce contain something like 50 grams of protein but just 750 calories.

Watercress, Spinach, are among the vegetables that have the highest amounts of protein. And they can be juiced along with other veggies (like carrots) for flavor.

You didn't mention being allergic to seeds and they are also good sources of protein. Seeds can be ground or sprouted.

And grains are good. So sandwiches and veggie wraps are still on the menu. And you can add sprouted seeds to your sandwiches, wraps, and salads.

You could have oatmeal for breakfast, a big salad for lunch or a sandwich, a vegetable casserole, or stew for dinner with rice or potatoes. And a glass or two of vegetable juice throughout the day.

You should try plugging a sample daily meal plan into Cronometer to make sure you get all the nutrients. Or you could just check with a dietician.

Both stews and casseroles can be made over the weekend and kept in the freezer or refrigerator for the weekdays.

Last edited:
Hi, we're already lifestyle vegans, all household items, clothes, cleaning products and toiletries/ make up are vegan and we don't eat eggs or dairy however due to my allergies we are really struggling to give up meat. Recipe ideas which do not include the following would be really really appreciated so we can make the move. They also need to be quick as we both work full time and need to feed the kids after wrap around care.

Soya (so tofu)
Quorn
All beans
Peanuts
Chickpeas
Lentils

Am I asking the impossible? I can have lentils and chickpeas occasionally without issue (twice a month or so) but the others are total no goes.

Other than seitan are there any other quick and easy protein sources?

Thanks in advance.
Nutritional yeast is 50% protein by weight: https://www.bobsredmill.com/nutritional-yeast.html

Reactions: KLS52
one more

I am having a hard time finding good recipes for casseroles that don't contain cheese or egg.

The nut-based cheese replacements are out but there are plenty of nut-free cheeses in the grocery store.

I haven't checked the egg replacements. Hopefully, there is one or two that don't contain beans.

But I'm thinking with a safe cheese and a safe egg you can Veganize any number of vegetarian dishes.

Nuts I'm fine with, just not peanuts because they are a legume.

Peas I can tolerate. I'm not overly keen on them so have never eaten large amounts.

Desensitizing isn't really an option for my bean allergy, which is by far the worst of them (epi pen). Thankfully they're easily avoided usually. The rest are just major intolerances, varying from rashes to intestinal bleeding. They are all pretty easy to avoid, apart from soya but even that's pretty easy.

I think my issue is finding family friendly meals, I won't cook separate meals and never have.

Nuts will really help. A handful of nuts every day is really a good idea. Cashews are great to make into vegan cheese. and a lot of the better store-bought vegan cheeses are made with cashews.

Pea milk is also a good supply of protein. I bought some chocolate-flavored pea milk yesterday and it was pretty tasty. 8 g of protein. I usually buy this Silk product which is a cashew almond pea milk blend. also, about 8 g of protein and delicious. These kinds of pea milk are also great starters for smoothies. Add some almond butter and you have a protein-packed snack.

Pasta and sauce is also something very quick and easy that the whole family can enjoy.

But I think your best bet is those casseroles, stews, and soups I suggested. Once you start it will probably get easier.

Yes, I'll give some of those a try. About half we can eat which is pretty good. In the US is casserole a side dish or accompaniment to something? In the UK they are the main thing, served with a side of veg and crusty bread.

I think for the kids I could just throw some lentils in or add some quinoa for us all as they couldn't eat the volume required to get their nutritional needs met.

Reactions: Lou
Yes, I'll give some of those a try. About half we can eat which is pretty good. In the US is casserole a side dish or accompaniment to something? In the UK they are the main thing, served with a side of veg and crusty bread.

I think for the kids I could just throw some lentils in or add some quinoa for us all as they couldn't eat the volume required to get their nutritional needs met.
Either way.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing. you could add something to the kid's dishes.