Have you ever tried eating something...unconventional, even for a vegan?

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Just curious what other people may have tried that doesn't fall into what's considered normal/tried and true/tested etc.

Things I have tried or eat occasionally or regularly:

The peels of bananas (semi regularly, I often have them in my shakes)
*Avocado pit (tried in a shake, also tried roasting some)
Olive seed (tried...had to crack open the pit to get to it, but it was delicious!)
Seaweed (occasionally)
Sunflower seed hulls (boiled and then roasted with the seed inside)

*Avocado stones were left on a window sill to dry. After some time, they become softer and easier to blend/cut.

Hmm, unconventional, huh?

Well...there's this recipe that's been in my family for many generations. It's a French Acadian dish, native to east coast Canada, called Rappie Pie. It is traditionally made with chicken and potatoes, and cooked in animal fat, usually. It's something since going vegan I didn't want to go without. It's part of my heritage, and brings incredibly fond memories of my deceased parents. It's not unconventional to me, but if I explained the process to making it, it would seem unconventional to most. It's the process of cooking the potatoes that's very unique. I doubt anyone on this forum, unless they're French Acadian, would've ever tried potatoes like this. So now I have a vegan version of this. (recipe available on request)

As far as eating other unconventional foods, I am very open minded. I grew up eating seaweed, so for me that's hardly unconventional. However, many veggies I now eat are ones I would never have bought before going vegan. Okra for example is one veggie I had bad memories about being extremely slimy and gross. Going vegan has brought me out of a shell. I am way more open to trying new things now than I ever was.

I'm still not eating banana peels ;)

I'm still not eating banana peels ;)

More for me :p

Btw, thought this was cool, if it's accurate:

https://www.feedipedia.org/node/684

The peels have roughly 12 times the potassium as the fruit (42g/Kg = 4.2g per 100g). Fruit itself=0.358g (358mg) per 100g http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

And over twice the amount of iron of 100g of spinach:

Banana peels: (60mg/Kg = 6mg per 100g)

Spinach per 100g = 2.7mg http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2

Reactions: Veganite
My sister is a psychologist, with a masters degree in nutrition. She treats people with eating disorders in her practice. She's also vegan. I highly doubt she's eating banana peels, but I will be sure to run this one by her on our next phone conversation. I'm quite sure if it's good for you, she would've heard about it. However, I seriously doubt she eats banana peels.

I already get a lot of potassium because I am so addicted to Japanese Yams. I also eat bananas every day too. One 5" raw sweet potato contains about 438 milligrams of potassium. A large, cooked sweet potato in the skin contains more than 850 milligrams.

Reactions: Emma JC
Dried cantaloupe seeds. They can be toxic if they are rinsed or water gets on them as they produce a very toxic molecule once they start germinating. I have been poisoned once by lightly green seeds from a rare cantaloupe variety regardless of them not being rinsed.

My sister is a psychologist, with a masters degree in nutrition. She treats people with eating disorders in her practice. She's also vegan.

That's really cool! I am also a psychologist, and I did my dissertation on eating disorders. I do not have a degree in nutrition, though. What a cool combination!

Reactions: Veganite
She did her degree in psychology first, then found her passion for nutrition. At one time, I was starting to think she was a professional student, as she'd been in school for so long. She is very passionate about her work.

Reactions: hopeful
Chocolate sauce on hot potato chips. Sometimes I mix a chilli sauce with the chocolate

I would try this...but only if you made it. The reason I say that is because it seems like something that was born from painstaking hours of experiment in getting the exact ratios right in order to hit that initially strange but delightful new taste without having my tongue recoil in fear, lol.

When I first tried it I just used a commercial dessert topping, it was an interesting taste, sweet and salty . Chocolate and chilli is a really good combination, Now I get O.H to make me a chocolate fudge sauce with half the sugar normally used, and depending on my mood I use a sweet chilli sauce or a hot chilli sauce to mix in .

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Roasted lentil tea. I have no idea where this idea originated, maybe just because I've been roasting some different stuff lately (pepitas, sunflower seeds, chickpeas). Anyway, I soaked some lentils overnight then dry roasted them in a pan, crushed in a blender then made tea with my French press.

Slightly sweet, hint of mint - so I added some of both (Mint and sweetness).