News Harvard Study on Diet

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This Harvard study might put the end to the carbohydrates war.

I actually didn't find anything earth-shaking but it did reinforce quite a few things that I already believed.

the quality of a food group impacted longevity significantly more than the presence of a food group in a given regimen.​
“Unhealthy low-carbohydrate-diet and low-fat-diet scores were associated with higher total mortality, whereas healthy low-carbohydrate-diet and low-fat-diet scores were associated with lower total mortality.​
Relying on meats for energy at the expense of carbs is linked to a higher risk for cancer and early death.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americas recommend that carbohydrates make up between 45% to 65% of your daily calories.​
the quality rather than the quantity of macronutrients in our diet has an important impact on our health,”​
The debate on the health consequences of low-fat or low-carbohydrate diets is largely moot unless the food sources of fats or carbohydrates are clearly defined.​

It does read like common sense.

My stance on carbs has always been that it's not the potato that's unhealthy. It's a powerhouse of nutrients. It's what people do to the potato that's unhealthy and rather than own their bad choices, it's easier to blame the potato. (only using potato as a type of villainized carb- not addressing glycemic index)

It does read like common sense.

My stance on carbs has always been that it's not the potato that's unhealthy. It's a powerhouse of nutrients. It's what people do to the potato that's unhealthy and rather than own their bad choices, it's easier to blame the potato. (only using potato as a type of villainized carb- not addressing glycemic index)

I agree completely - it is the butter you put on the potato and the animal gravy and animal that you eat with the potato or the deep frying that you do to it.

Dr Greger's latest book goes into this all is detail and the donut is another example. People call donuts carbs when they are really fat and sugar and some flour. I could go on. The potato is amazing!

Emma JC

I agree completely - it is the butter you put on the potato and the animal gravy and animal that you eat with the potato or the deep frying that you do to it.

Dr Greger's latest book goes into this all is detail and the donut is another example. People call donuts carbs when they are really fat and sugar and some flour. I could go on. The potato is amazing!

Emma JC
It really is! Love me some potatoes... And since I've finally replaced my sealing ring in my Instant Pot, I'm about to cook some up right now :D

Reactions: David3 and Emma JC
I was going to share this article until I read the last sentence:

"Earlier this week, a new report revealed that habitually consuming skim milk reversed the aging process by an average of four-and-a-half-years. "

😔

I was going to share this article until I read the last sentence:

"Earlier this week, a new report revealed that habitually consuming skim milk reversed the aging process by an average of four-and-a-half-years. "

😔

if only they had at the very least qualified it by adding "compared to those that habitually consumed full fat or 2% or whatever the comparison was" at least that way it doesn't sound like consuming skim milk was better than drinking water or plant milk....

Emma JC