Happy Thanksgiving !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I have so much to be thankful for. My VV family is high on the list. :smitten::thanks:

Reactions: Naturebound1
Thank you, shyvas! <3

Happy Thanksgiving!

A man on a forum I'm on had an accident recently and lost his job and he and his wife were just going to have a quiet Thanksgiving together as they didn't have much money. On Thanksgiving there was a knock at the door and one of his old workfriends had brought over a full Thankgiving dinner for them.:sob::up:

I did, thank you shyvas!

Here's the lowdown:

Thanksgiving was a success! I was almost too tired, however, to really enjoy myself. But I was happy with everything that I made. The food was a huge hit and everyone kept saying that this was the best Thanksgiving dinner to date.

I got rave reviews on my green bean casserole, which excited me because I made the sauce from scratch (in lieu of using Campbell's soup). I made a roux with vegan butter and flour. Then I added vegetable broth and cashew milk and nutritional yeast and some black pepper. I simply poured that over the green beans and sprinkled Trader Joe's fried onion pieces on top. It came out so good!

They loved, loved, loved my butternut squash soup which really isn't butternut squash soup because I added potatoes and cauliflower. I don't even know where I came up with that, other than I love cream of potato soup and I love the roasted cauliflower buffalo soup that I make. So I guess I just kind of figured I would throw it all together, lol. It was a total success.

And now, for the my nut roast. Only my cousin and her husband tried it. They liked it but they weren't impressed. I guess it's just too different of a dish. I, however, was amazed by it and I'm so happy I made it. I used a recipe that I found saved in my documents on my computer from several years ago. You layer the nut mixture, then add your stuffing of choice on top of that (I used TJ's cornbread stuffing mix) and then top it off with the remaining nut mixture. OMG, so, so good!

Finally, I made my own vegan gravy with onions, mushrooms and proceeded somewhat like I did for the green bean casserole sauce. Again, amazing. I'm so happy. I'm trying to hold out until 8 a.m. because I'm going to have all the food for breakfast, hahahahaahha. I could have eaten it at 6:30. :drool:

Oh, the apple pies were really good as was the pumpkin cheesecake. But this is the first time I was more excited about the main meal than I was about dessert. :p

Reactions: PTree15
It's 7:09 a.m...not going to make it. I'm going in...

I just had Thanksgiving leftovers for my lunch! Still good, but not quite as good today because it was all mixed up in my lunch bowl and re-heated in the microwave. Also, no pumpkin cake.

I did, thank you shyvas!

Here's the lowdown:

Thanksgiving was a success! I was almost too tired, however, to really enjoy myself. But I was happy with everything that I made. The food was a huge hit and everyone kept saying that this was the best Thanksgiving dinner to date.

I got rave reviews on my green bean casserole, which excited me because I made the sauce from scratch (in lieu of using Campbell's soup). I made a roux with vegan butter and flour. Then I added vegetable broth and cashew milk and nutritional yeast and some black pepper. I simply poured that over the green beans and sprinkled Trader Joe's fried onion pieces on top. It came out so good!

They loved, loved, loved my butternut squash soup which really isn't butternut squash soup because I added potatoes and cauliflower. I don't even know where I came up with that, other than I love cream of potato soup and I love the roasted cauliflower buffalo soup that I make. So I guess I just kind of figured I would throw it all together, lol. It was a total success.

And now, for the my nut roast. Only my cousin and her husband tried it. They liked it but they weren't impressed. I guess it's just too different of a dish. I, however, was amazed by it and I'm so happy I made it. I used a recipe that I found saved in my documents on my computer from several years ago. You layer the nut mixture, then add your stuffing of choice on top of that (I used TJ's cornbread stuffing mix) and then top it off with the remaining nut mixture. OMG, so, so good!

Finally, I made my own vegan gravy with onions, mushrooms and proceeded somewhat like I did for the green bean casserole sauce. Again, amazing. I'm so happy. I'm trying to hold out until 8 a.m. because I'm going to have all the food for breakfast, hahahahaahha. I could have eaten it at 6:30. :drool:

Oh, the apple pies were really good as was the pumpkin cheesecake. But this is the first time I was more excited about the main meal than I was about dessert. :p

All of your food sounds delicious. Did you guests have gravy with the nut roast ? It's one of my most favorite dishes.

Don't you just love leftovers ?;)

I made a Seitan Wellington from VegNews this year. It was quite good. The texture was lighter than most seitans because it had a cooked russet potato mixed into the VWG, chickpea flour, broth & spices that you normally use. I was impressed. I had to coat it with a mixture of dijon, mushrooms and walnuts before wrapping it in puff pastry - it was quite impressive on the platter. ;)

I also made mashed potatoes, onion gravy, stuffing, peas with fakin'bacon & shiitakes, sweet potato and butternut squash casserole, sauerkraut with caraway seeds and my DIL's cranberry sauce. We bought a vegan apple pie and Dad brought a non-vegan pumpkin. :rolleyes:

I'm pooped too @KLS52 !

Happy Thanksgiving a day late! :D I had a busy one, as I traveled to New Hampshire to be with family. I made chickpea cutlets, garlic mashed potatoes, squash-apple bake, apple pie and cranberry sauce. No one was interested in the cutlets, but they scarfed everything else. We had a really nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.