Hand Binding Books

feather

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I haven't had a chance to read all the arts and crafts here, but I can see I'll be busy for a week seeing all the wonderful things you all do. I'm excited to read this part of the forum, thank you.

I made a small sketch book for a gift for part of a granddaughter's birthday present. This was my first hand bound book with blank 98 lb mixed media paper, cotton string. It was fun!
gardensoupdeckplants-002.jpg

So then I wanted to make one for me, to hold my paper/paint from peerless, for a little travel paint thing, to make it easier to paint outside or on trips.
It's also 4 x 5.5 inches, this one has waxed string, 98 lb mixed media paper, and it uses 4 needles for a coptic binding. Then I filled it with the paint/paper, and tested out colors to see what they were like. I used a peerless bonus pack of 40 colors and a sample pack of 15 colors, so lots of variety.

binding-books-006.jpg

binding-books-016.jpg

binding-books-019.jpg

The back cover. (calendar page over chipboard)
binding-books-007.jpg

How the pages set.
binding-books-012.jpg

Front cover. (calendar page over chip board)
binding-books-005.jpg

My reason for wanting to learn this method and other binding methods, is that the good quality watercolor paper is insanely expensive to find in spiral bound or hand bound books. I would rather make some of my own than spend the $300 for what I want. This method allows the book to lay flat, which is pretty important for watercolor painting. So anyway, this is my fun, and painting too.

artfrogs 016.JPG

I've made 5 books now. I gave the first one to the grandchild. They take about 5 or so hours each, but fun. I made some acrylic painted fabric for covers (left), and interleaved tissue around the signatures. I'm really enjoying it.