Halloween 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Halloween has ALWAYS been my favorite holiday. At least as long as I had a favorite holiday. I've been that person for the past five years talking about how Tobe Hooper's original Chainsaw 1974 was "about meat" (in his own words, people threw up on the set due to the rotting animal parts in the Texas heat and various academics have broken The Texas Chainsaw Massacre down in terms of both animal abuse and the damage to slaughterhouse workers). I've also been that person praising Rob Zombie for being a vegetarian since 1982 and a vegan within the past decade since he married Sherri Moon Zombie (vegan before him). I note his "meat gross" scene in his Halloween 2 with the girls and the dad with the split pizza at dinner, the single "More Human Than a Human" and really any meaning you get from his work because it must life-long through his cannon since in 1982 he was in high school when he stopped eating meat.

Blah, blah, blah.

This year I started celebrating early with movies, providing candy for my roommates (they've had Blow-Pops, vegan lollies, and Sweet-Tarts all month thank you to yours truly), and carving a pumpkin and roasting pumpkin seeds this week.

This is an important part of my emotional and mental health, as important to me as Christmas is to other people. In my family, I had more than one costume on Halloween usually, we had numerous rituals involving pumpkin patches and scarecrow displays, and my ex was a horror collector and we went all out on Halloween. Halloween is an emotionally and socially meaningful part of my life.

So, without further emo ado:

Vegan/Vegetarian Horror Movies:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974 - hecken disturbin' not for everyone, but about animal ag and its effects on people)
Day of the Animals (1977 - super fun!)
The Woman (2011 - environmental/animals)
Mother! (2017 - environmental/animals)
The Farm (2018 - really disturbing, farmed animals theme)
Braid (2019 - very visual lesbian feminist horror film, no one eats meat notably, but humans are violently attacked)
Vivarium (2020 - more of a yucky drama, not specifically about veganism but contains environmental and food themes)
Cruel Peter (2020 - the daughter character is vegan)

There are other horror films: Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (1963), Stephen King's Sleepwalkers (1992), etc where it is implied that animals have rights and humans are cruel. Also Rob Zombie is a vegan horror director, generically speaking.

My favorite candy that is "accidentally vegan" is Blow-Pops and Sweet-Tarts

This year I'm dressing up as Mother Earth with a plastic vine my old roommate left behind, 2 leafy green hair clips, putting greenish-blue streaks in my hair, wearing "Earth tones" (browns, bronzes) on most of my face except for green lips. And some clothes. Probably green and brown.

Does anyone else like Halloween? Tell me more! I also like haunted houses and that sort of thing if you don't want to talk about animal rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.