Physics Hall Effect formula

carrotcake

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me in this science thread... I'll be sitting an exam about thermophysics soon and one of the topics that is being covered is the Hall Effect and I'm trying to understand the formula but I don't really get it... This is it:
A steady state will be reached when the force of Hall voltage and the Lorentz force compensate each other, so there is a proportional relation between Hall Voltage (VH), magnetic field (B), current (I), the so called Hall coefficient (RH). The Hall coefficient also depends on the thickness of the device (d). From this relationship, the Hall Coefficient can be determined by measuring the Hall Voltage under a given field and current with a known device thickness, following the formula:
csm_Formel_1_13a1f265e2.png
(Source)

Could someone explain this formula to me? I don't understand the explanation :(

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me in this science thread... I'll be sitting an exam about thermophysics soon and one of the topics that is being covered is the Hall Effect and I'm trying to understand the formula but I don't really get it... This is it:

csm_Formel_1_13a1f265e2.png
(Source)

Could someone explain this formula to me? I don't understand the explanation :(

How Hall effect sensors and probes work