Hair loss

annybunny

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello again:)
I'm now living the vegan life for 9 months already and it feels great! My family still cracks jokes on my behalf but by now i don't mind anymore.
There is another problem though... I am loosing my hair, like not the normal amount of hair and to be honest, it's kinda freaking me out.. It started two months in the vegan diet and i feel like it's become worse ever since.
I am 17years old so i'm pretty sure it's not thinning of age:))
I take B12 on a daily basis as well as Iron. Are there any other nutrients you can recommend to pay special attention to?
Thanks so much!!

Hello again:)
I'm now living the vegan life for 9 months already and it feels great! My family still cracks jokes on my behalf but by now i don't mind anymore.
There is another problem though... I am loosing my hair, like not the normal amount of hair and to be honest, it's kinda freaking me out.. It started two months in the vegan diet and i feel like it's become worse ever since.
I am 17years old so i'm pretty sure it's not thinning of age:))
I take B12 on a daily basis as well as Iron. Are there any other nutrients you can recommend to pay special attention to?
Thanks so much!!

Hi Annybunny,

That sounds alarming, but I'm sure it can be fixed. I'm a 51 year old male, and I've been vegan for 29 years, but I have more hair than many guys my age.

Are you eating enough calories? Remember that fruits and vegetables are low in calories. Be sure to eat enough moderate calorie foods, like beans, grains, and pasta. Higher calorie foods, like nuts, nut butters, and seeds, will also help to meet your daily calorie needs.

May we ask your height and weight?

Reactions: annybunny and Lou
Saying you've been on a vegan diet doesn't imply anything but lack of animal products, it doesn't say what you're eating. Not eating animal products is certainly not the cause!
Are you eating a wide range of foods? Are you eating enough calories?
Hair and skin do react to changes, both good and bad.
I'd suggest tracking what you eat for a time, like try a free site like

Unless you're subbing processed foods for meats and dairy it may be you're getting fewer calories than you realize

Question 1.
did you change your shampoo or conditioner? Many vegans do change their beauty products in order to go cruelty-free. It's possible that your hair doesn't like the new stuff. Try going back to the old stuff. Or try buying some other product. I don't believe you need to buy some special product either. Here in America, there are plenty of cruelty-free all-natural shampoos and conditioners at reasonable prices. I suppose you can find them too.

A, C, D, E, zinc, B vitamins, iron, biotin, protein, and essential fatty acids are good for hair growth. All of these but the fatty acids are available in an inexpensive multivitamin. You'll need an Omega 3 supplement or to add some foods that contain Omega 3 - like flaxseed.

Also, be sure you are getting enough calories and enough protein. Maybe the most common problem with new vegans is they don't eat enough calories and/or protein. Try keeping track in CronOmeter or SparkPeople for a week and see if that is the issue too.

Here is a good general info article for you to read

a

Reactions: annybunny
Experiencing hair loss that is worrying at your age, merits a visit to a dermatologist's.

My daughter was losing hair being vegetarian but started to eat meat occasionally and found she had less hair loss. So not sure if it's iron or maybe enough protein.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Annybunny,

That sounds alarming, but I'm sure it can be fixed. I'm a 51 year old male, and I've been vegan for 29 years, but I have more hair than many guys my age.

Are you eating enough calories? Remember that fruits and vegetables are low in calories. Be sure to eat enough moderate calorie foods, like beans, grains, and pasta. Higher calorie foods, like nuts, nut butters, and seeds, will also help to meet your daily calorie needs.

May we ask your height and weight?

Hi David3,
i believe that I am eating enough calories, as my weight (77kg) hasn't changed... My height: 186cm
Thanks!

Saying you've been on a vegan diet doesn't imply anything but lack of animal products, it doesn't say what you're eating. Not eating animal products is certainly not the cause!
Are you eating a wide range of foods? Are you eating enough calories?
Hair and skin do react to changes, both good and bad.
I'd suggest tracking what you eat for a time, like try a free site like

Unless you're subbing processed foods for meats and dairy it may be you're getting fewer calories than you realize
Thanks for the tip! I believe that i eat enough calories, but I'll keep track from now, just to be sure. Especially cause it seems to be a reason many of you mention...

Question 1.
did you change your shampoo or conditioner? Many vegans do change their beauty products in order to go cruelty-free. It's possible that your hair doesn't like the new stuff. Try going back to the old stuff. Or try buying some other product. I don't believe you need to buy some special product either. Here in America, there are plenty of cruelty-free all-natural shampoos and conditioners at reasonable prices. I suppose you can find them too.

A, C, D, E, zinc, B vitamins, iron, biotin, protein, and essential fatty acids are good for hair growth. All of these but the fatty acids are available in an inexpensive multivitamin. You'll need an Omega 3 supplement or to add some foods that contain Omega 3 - like flaxseed.

Also, be sure you are getting enough calories and enough protein. Maybe the most common problem with new vegans is they don't eat enough calories and/or protein. Try keeping track in CronOmeter or SparkPeople for a week and see if that is the issue too.

Here is a good general info article for you to read

a
Hi Lou!
i changed my shampoo/ conditioner progressivly (used all the leftovers first), and i thought of that at first too and went back, but i personally haven't noticed good changes.
I will now track my eating habits and take a special look at protein- that seems rather clever!
That article souns really good, i'll definitely have a look!
Thanks so much!

Hi David3,
i believe that I am eating enough calories, as my weight (77kg) hasn't changed... My height: 186cm
Thanks!

Hi annybunny,

It's possible to be calorie-deficient, even if your weight hasn't noticeably changed.

Quick example: About 15 years ago, I had 5 colds in 7 months. I went to a Registered Dietitian, thinking that I must be deficient in some vitamin or mineral. The RD had me keep a food diary for 5 days, so that she could evaluate my diet. Her conclusion: I wasn't eating enough calories! My weight hadn't even changed! Our entire body, including our immune system, is fueled by calories.

I wasn't eating enough calories! My weight hadn't even changed! Our entire body, including our immune system, is fueled by calories.
It's odd that your weight hadn't changed. but yeah, we were just talking somewhere how everyone is different.

-----

I never had a problem with "enough" calories. Unfortunately, both potato chips and beer are both usually vegan.

Until I got here (VF) and started reading about "issues" I didn't know "enough calories" was a common issue.

Also "enough protein" is something I always thought was not something to worry about. The thing I heard a lot was if you are eating enough calories you are getting enough protein. But that is not necessarily true. Like if you are getting a significant number of calories from potato chips and beer. :)

Anyway, I probably don't need to point this out, but hair is mostly protein.

I googled how much protein is in hair and found this page. Its part of an ad so take it with a grain of salt, but I think everything on the page is factual. My only real quibble is the 100g of protein a day recommendation. I think for most young women they need much less.

A good rule of thumb is to shoot for the same number of grams of protein as the number of kilograms you weigh. And even better rule is to shoot for protein making up ≈20% of your calories.