Growing your own food

• Thread starter Deleted member 2819
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2819

If you could grow your own food (climate would not be a factor), what would you consider staples in your garden that would be served every day?

I have my own garden, and with a very suitable climate to grow a large variety of things. The truth is I grow far too many things to name them all. Right now I am dealing with several fruit trees on my property. I have a heck of a lot of prune plums this year. I'm making apple/pear butter tomorrow. I already dehydrated over 20 lbs of plums into prunes. They're like candy, and keep very well for a long time.

My staples, aside from the fruit trees on my property, are potatoes, onions, garlic, beans, peas, cucumbers, carrots, kale, and squash, just to name a few, and I grow most of my own herbs as well. I also have a Bay Laurel bush. My kale often grows well into winter here. I also have a greenhouse that works through the winter months.

I love gardening, but I still consider myself somewhat of a novice. I am always learning, but I still make lots of mistakes. I tried growing melons this year, which was a complete fail. However, they do grow locally on some farms, so I wanted to try this year. I have bought local melons before here, and they're awesome. I've also had bad luck with corn. However, some of the tastiest corn I've ever eaten in my life grows just a few kilometers down the road.

I use many things daily or almost daily. Having your own herbs on hand is a wonderful staple. I will be planting next years garlic very soon. Garlic and onions are something I consider a huge staple. A lot of the fruit I either preserve or dehydrate. I picked a couple gallons of blackberries from my backyard this year too. I make pickles as well.

You can do herbs on an apartment balcony...tomatoes too. I have a friend that grows beautiful tomatoes on her balcony.

Reactions: Emma JC
Well, to be honest, most people know the place as the Cascadia Subduction Zone. I like Vega better. It's probably safer too ;)

If you could grow your own food (climate would not be a factor), what would you consider staples in your garden that would be served every day?

Potatoes, tomatoes, basil, hot peppers, bell peppers, sweet peas, beans, lettuce, spinach. Strawberries, raspberries, lemons.

Emma JC

Potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, apples, bananas, strawberries, watermelon, and mangos.

Keeping an eye on this thread. Atm, I'm already growing potatoes, lettuce. I'm not sure what I want to grow this year, or at least start to grow. One thought was an acai palm...then I saw how big they were (perhaps a mini version that will yield fruit?), but researching root veggies besides potato, so far Malanga and Maca have hit my radar. Probably garlic, which I use quite often.

mmmm garlic.... how did I forget garlic.... it also grows wild.... it would actually be at the top of my grow it yourself list!!

Emma JC

Keeping an eye on this thread. Atm, I'm already growing potatoes, lettuce. I'm not sure what I want to grow this year, or at least start to grow. One thought was an acai palm...then I saw how big they were (perhaps a mini version that will yield fruit?), but researching root veggies besides potato, so far Malanga and Maca have hit my radar. Probably garlic, which I use quite often.

This YouTube video might interest you... I have to admit that I haven't watched it as I do not have space for growing right now but I do love these types of videos and thought of you when I it popped up on my YouTube list.

Emma JC