Goodbye 40-watt and 60-watt light bulbs! (United States)

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
*insert light bulb jokes here*

Come 2014, it will become harder and harder to find traditional 40 watt and 60 watt incandescent light bulbs because of a looming ban on the manufacture and importation on them.

See here for full details: http://money.msn.com/investing/post--light-bulb-ban-could-disrupt-the-living-room

If you live in the US and you like these bulbs, you should consider stocking up. I bought some of them last week. Maybe I should buy some more.

Reactions: Joe
I have these new energy saving light bulbs that are now all you can buy in the UK.

3 times the cost for 1/3 of the life.

Never wasted so much energy on a constant cycle of buying and replacing anything that I can remember in my life before.

I get some eco bulb, and if the package is right they are 105watt bulbs, whereas I used to get 100watt non-eco bulbs....clever.

I have these new energy saving light bulbs that are now all you can buy in the UK.

3 times the cost for 1/3 of the life.

Never wasted so much energy on a constant cycle of buying and replacing anything that I can remember in my life before.

CFLs don't react well to being turned on for short periods of time. Try LEDs for that.

Although I abuse CFLs all the time, and I've only replaced 3 or 4 within the past five years. ;)

CFLs don't react well to being turned on for short periods of time. Try LEDs for that.

Although I abuse CFLs all the time, and I've only replaced 3 or 4 within the past five years. ;)

Jeebus!

I have a total of 12 of these bulbs in my living room and six of them needed replacing only a week, or so, ago.

3 more need replacing again already.

Quite literally I must have bought 50-60 (for the whole house, mind) in the last 2 years alone.

When I moved into my house five years ago, I took all the CFL's out of my apartment and installed them in my house. I've only had four burn out since then. The CFL's had all been in operation in my apartment for at least a year before that.

My living room has six recessed light. I tried some CFL spots, but they just weren't bright enough for that space. Two years ago I finally found some LED spots made for recessed lighting, and they're working great. Previously that room got super hot from the incandescent lights, which I guess was ok in the winter but caused the aircon to run excessively in the summer. Total energy (and money) waster. Much nicer now.

I've also replaced the kitchen lights with LED's. (Two of the four CFL bulbs in there had burned out.)

As my CFL's eventually need to be replaced, I'll be putting in LED's in their place.

Jeebus!

I have a total of 12 of these bulbs in my living room and six of them needed replacing only a week, or so, ago.

3 more need replacing again already.

Quite literally I must have bought 50-60 (for the whole house, mind) in the last 2 years alone.

Do you have recessed lights or something? Enclosed fixtures? Do you tend not to turn on lights and leave them on for at least 15 minutes?

Do you have recessed lights or something? Enclosed fixtures? Do you tend not to turn on lights and leave them on for at least 15 minutes?

No recessed lights at all - all the bulbs are in open ended glass shades/covers/wotcha-like-to-call'ems ...

I pay no attention whatsoever to how the lights are used though.

Room that blows the most lights is a very dark room, mind. Must be that the bulbs in there are having to work extra hard to put out the right amount of light is all I can think of.

Like rabbitluvr said, the cool temperature of the LEDs makes them my favorites. Same with televisions. If I lived in a cold place, it wouldn't be as big a factor. We use very little air conditioning, relying on ceiling fans and cross drafts. It's amazing how much heat light bulbs emit.

I don't remember the last time I had to replace one of the CFL's. It must have been a couple of years ago. I've used them ever since they became available.

Like rabbitluvr said, the cool temperature of the LEDs makes them my favorites. Same with televisions. If I lived in a cold place, it wouldn't be as big a factor. We use very little air conditioning, relying on ceiling fans and cross drafts. It's amazing how much heat light bulbs emit.

Do you love them so much you affix them to your footwear?

*insert light bulb jokes here*

Come 2014, it will become harder and harder to find traditional 40 watt and 60 watt incandescent light bulbs because of a looming ban on the manufacture and importation on them.

See here for full details: http://money.msn.com/investing/post--light-bulb-ban-could-disrupt-the-living-room

If you live in the US and you like these bulbs, you should consider stocking up. I bought some of them last week. Maybe I should buy some more.

Thanks for your post, Amy. This is a concern to me for several reasons. I'll have more to say about this later.