Good & bad news! China will be eating less cat & dog meat

Mork

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Good and bad news! China will be eating less cat and dog meat, but perhaps more pig and cow?

What are your thoughts on this as much as I like cows and pigs I prefer dogs and cats since I was brought up with them from childhood.

Im glad this corona virus thing happened and I hope China sticks to their dog and cat meat ban.

But I am sad that more pigs and beef will probably be eaten in their place.

I presume the Chinese dont torture cows and pigs like boil them alive when they kill them like they do with dogs and cats? Or do they and we just dont hear about it? Seems impractical to do so. Since they are larger animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FlandersOD
Then there is this just in.

and this

and this

and this

Reactions: Hog
Thats good news Lou, but what do you think about my question are you animal neutral or are you bias to certain animals like me?

Also are you for or against what China has done ?

There is no ban on eating dogs and cats in China. That was fake news. Yulin took place this year like every year.

There is no difference in eating dogs cats chickens lambs so all this hype about what species nations eat is nonsense.

Chinese eat mostly tofu, noodle and vegetables.

That's not quite true. Despite rice, noodles and tofu being part of the basic cuisine, meat (anything that walks and crawls or flies) & seafood is largely consumed in China. Regional food differs quite dramatically as the country is so vast.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
The traditional Chinese diet included red meat a mere average of once a month (or less). All of this is largely Western influence, though I do know pig farming in Asia isn't exactly new or different. Stats show the Chinese only matching and exceeding US meat consumption in the 1990s. As recently as the 1970s it was far below American meat consumption, and Americans also ate less meat then, which is effing crazy if you think about all that in context. HOWEVER, I believe Americans still eat the most meat per capita. Americans have outdone themselves with their individual level of consumption and grandiose selfishness in ways that makes pretty much every other country on Earth look better: meat consumption, CO2e footprints, and COVID-19 cases. Per capita, the US is still criminally overly consuming and doing everything wrong. Then, young people in Chinese cities who want to be successful look to the West and copy our ways. It doesn't mean everyone in China is eating more pig and cow, unlike the US.

Honestly, cattle farming is destroying the Earth. No matter what personal affection I may hold for cats or even pigs, I really want to stop cattle farming because in the big picture, cattle farming is killing more humans and non-human animals then pretty much any other animal product in the world.

Rule of thumb...China eat 3 times less meat per person than the Biggest Western Nation meat consumer of meat.

1.3 Billion China Population.
1.3 Billion India Population.

1 Billion USA/Canada and Europe population. Eating 80 percent of the world meat producing 80 billion farm animals and trillions of fish and marine animals per year killed.

HALF the meat consumption of the Western nations who eat 80 percent of all meat world wide anyway.

So really...WHAT animals they eat...cheap bats dogs pigs...is irrelevant. They are the world's biggest suppliers now of pig meat...fact...and who is responsible for them deforesting to provide what the West buys ? we are. No wonder viruses start hey...when people have to supply the huge meat eaters with so many animals...and if they were to copy our standards...we can all wave as we die from the next viruses out there only held in check due to measures currently to restrict spread of this mild virus again from animal consumption. Once the planes and travel kick off again to even HALF the pre coronavirus levels...we can expect the Plague and or the latest virus from pigs in China that has killed a few thousand people there.

50 kg per person per year -China.

Denmark - 145
New Zealand - 142
Luxemburg - 141
Cyprus - 131
USA - 125

Spain - 118
Mongolia - 108
Australia - 108
Canada - 108
Ireland - 106
France - 101
Italy - 90
Germany - 82
UK - 80
Lithuania - 50

Compared to the nations who eat the most meat per person...China eat very little meat.

There are an estimated 50 million vegans in China. It is a growing trend with the young but...so is increased animal consumption to copy what the RICH do in the west.

ps my PET focus nb...of course 30 % of all meat sold is pet food. Now that China is copying the USA for having PETS as unnatural toys...pet food sales are on the up too. More animals to breed and kill.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Rule of thumb...China eat 3 times less meat per person than the Biggest Western Nation meat consumer of meat.

1.3 Billion China Population.
1 Billion India Population.

1 Billion USA/Canada and Europe population. Eating 80 percent of the world meat producing 80 billion farm animals and trillions of fish and marine animals per year killed.

HALF the meat consumption of the Western nations who eat 80 percent of all meat world wide anyway.

So really...WHAT animals they eat...cheap bats dogs pigs...is irrelevant. They are the world's biggest suppliers now of pig meat...fact...and who is responsible for them deforesting to provide what the West buys ? we are. No wonder viruses start hey...when people have to supply the huge meat eaters with so many animals...and if they were to copy our standards...we can all wave as we die from the next viruses out there only held in check due to measures currently to restrict spread of this mild virus again from animal consumption. Once the planes and travel kick off again to even HALF the pre coronavirus levels...we can expect the Plague and or the latest virus from pigs in China that has killed a few thousand people there.

50 kg per person per year -China.

Denmark - 145
New Zealand - 142
Luxemburg - 141
Cyprus - 131
USA - 125

Spain - 118
Mongolia - 108
Australia - 108
Canada - 108
Ireland - 106
France - 101
Italy - 90
Germany - 82
UK - 80
Lithuania - 50

Compared to the nations who eat the most meat per person...China eat very little meat.

There are an estimated 50 million vegans in China. It is a growing trend with the young but...so is increased animal consumption to copy what the RICH do in the west.

ps my PET focus nb...of course 30 % of all meat sold is pet food. Now that China is copying the USA for having PETS as unnatural toys...pet food sales are on the up too. More animals to breed and kill.

Thank you for this info. But that's per person. Because their population is so large, it's still a problem and overall their meat consumption is larger than ours. For example, someone in a particular province may find it culturally normative to be mostly plant-based, with only a little animal products on rare occasions. Someone from another rural province may eat only fish and eggs, but otherwise eat vegetables, fruit, tofu, and rice. Still another person may be a strict Buddhist who is vegan or ovo-vegetarian for spiritual reasons. THEN there are these people living in the cities who eat massive amounts of meat, they have huge weddings and other events, buffets, and family dinners. Those people basically eat like Americans just with Chinese food. That is why their overall meat consumption has been larger than the US since the 1990s.

Thank you for this info. But that's per person. Because their population is so large, it's still a problem and overall their meat consumption is larger than ours. For example, someone in a particular province may find it culturally normative to be mostly plant-based, with only a little animal products on rare occasions. Someone from another rural province may eat only fish and eggs, but otherwise eat vegetables, fruit, tofu, and rice. Still another person may be a strict Buddhist who is vegan or ovo-vegetarian for spiritual reasons. THEN there are these people living in the cities who eat massive amounts of meat, they have huge weddings and other events, buffets, and family dinners. Those people basically eat like Americans just with Chinese food. That is why their overall meat consumption has been larger than the US since the 1990s.

it matters...80 percent of meat is eaten by 20 percent of the population...the 3 continents i listed with numbers show which 2 continents and therefore nations are the responsible for the most ...USA and EUROPE

due to comparisons of totals of kg of meat consumed by nations making little sense as the population of nations varies...i mean russia and china are continents in size as is the usa in terms of size compared to say a tiny country like Luxemburg...but the point made was...if everyone in the world copied luxemburg nation average per person meat consumption we would need to increase tenfold at least the meat production

but here...are the nation and continent comparisons. Shows a similar picture.

In fact it is horrifying...to realise...Luxemburg...massive per person meat consumption...if INDIA alone 1.3 billion people copied that level...we are truely stuffed.

India with the same population as China are very very low on the per person and in total meat consumption.

The only meaningful comparison of figures...is per person in this case for the reasons given.

Just as...the only meaningful comparison of figures and percentages relating to deaths by coronavirus...are per 1million population figures and percentages...it is daft to take the total deaths in just one nation as the real indicator of rates of deaths and effects of the virus...Germany...has had only 8 thousand i think deaths for an 80 million nation population....the uk....with a 67 million population has had over 40 thousand deaths.

The deaths per 1m population of the UK are far far higher than Germany....which is easy enough to see without actually stating what those comparative figures are here...but if one tried to compare the USA total deaths to say France it is meaningless...France population is 66 million...the USA population is over 300 million.

ps in case wondering why DENMARK is not listed in the pics below...not all nations were listed...it is a tiny nation and there are other issues...much of the production of Denmark is actually for export...and as it is difficult to assess which quantities were home consumed or exported that country is not really a good one to use for any comparisons.

China...if one took PRODUCTION not CONSUMPTION of meat would rocket...but that is because they EXPORT meat greatly...that is not China consumption however so the fact remains...their meat consumption is very low compared to the Western Nations per person ...but on the increase...and as stated..due to their population being 1.3 million it is alarming if they get to the Western per person levels of meat consumption.

Sure..i agree and it is clear...it is exactly because the population of China is so large...1.3 billion...the same as the entire populations of both the USA and EUROPE put together...that if they get to the USA and EUROPE levels per person of meat consumption...the meat consumption levels will rocket...double in the world generally...as that is the factor ...2 to 3 times more per person meat consumption in the 2 continents who consume currently 80 percent of meat produced...the USA and EUROPE.

However...that will simply be China eating at the same levels as we do...not more...so who is to blame ? if blame is the issue ? all we see here is...who causes the effects of meat consumption and production...and it sure does look like more pandemics are on the horizon if China and India increase as they are doing their per person meat consumption.

How could this stop ?

I suggest...the arrogance of the Western Continents about having historically gone more "meat consuming" over the past 50 years due to WEALTH increases is to blame...meat consumption in the West has increased by 4 times the levels of just 50 years ago...and dairy by 2 times. Amazing hey.

So now...in less than the next 50 years...China population could quadruple their meat consumption too if they copy the trend of the West of the past 50 years.

Who is going to show a different trend ? is the question.

1599063295135.png
1599063277742.png

1599063249934.png

Last edited:
it matters...80 percent of meat is eaten by 20 percent of the population...the 3 continents i listed with numbers show which 2 continents and therefore nations are the responsible for the most ...USA and EUROPE

due to comparisons of totals of kg of meat consumed by nations making little sense as the population of nations varies...i mean russia and china are continents in size as is the usa in terms of size compared to say a tiny country like Luxemburg...but the point made was...if everyone in the world copied luxemburg nation average per person meat consumption we would need to increase tenfold at least the meat production

but here...are the nation and continent comparisons. Shows a similar picture.

In fact it is horrifying...to realise...Luxemburg...massive per person meat consumption...if INDIA alone 1.3 billion people copied that level...we are truely stuffed.

India with the same population as China are very very low on the per person and in total meat consumption.

The only meaningful comparison of figures...is per person in this case for the reasons given.

Just as...the only meaningful comparison of figures and percentages relating to deaths by coronavirus...are per 1million population figures and percentages...it is daft to take the total deaths in just one nation as the real indicator of rates of deaths and effects of the virus...Germany...has had only 8 thousand i think deaths for an 80 million nation population....the uk....with a 67 million population has had over 40 thousand deaths.

The deaths per 1m population of the UK are far far higher than Germany....which is easy enough to see without actually stating what those comparative figures are here...but if one tried to compare the USA total deaths to say France it is meaningless...France population is 66 million...the USA population is over 300 million.

ps in case wondering why DENMARK is not listed in the pics below...not all nations were listed...it is a tiny nation and there are other issues...much of the production of Denmark is actually for export...and as it is difficult to assess which quantities were home consumed or exported that country is not really a good one to use for any comparisons.

China...if one took PRODUCTION not CONSUMPTION of meat would rocket...but that is because they EXPORT meat greatly...that is not China consumption however so the fact remains...their meat consumption is very low compared to the Western Nations per person ...but on the increase...and as stated..due to their population being 1.3 million it is alarming if they get to the Western per person levels of meat consumption.

Sure..i agree and it is clear...it is exactly because the population of China is so large...1.3 billion...the same as the entire populations of both the USA and EUROPE put together...that if they get to the USA and EUROPE levels per person of meat consumption...the meat consumption levels will rocket...double in the world generally...as that is the factor ...2 to 3 times more per person meat consumption in the 2 continents who consume currently 80 percent of meat produced...the USA and EUROPE.

However...that will simply be China eating at the same levels as we do...not more...so who is to blame ? if blame is the issue ? all we see here is...who causes the effects of meat consumption and production...and it sure does look like more pandemics are on the horizon if China and India increase as they are doing their per person meat consumption.

How could this stop ?

I suggest...the arrogance of the Western Continents about having historically gone more "meat consuming" over the past 50 years due to WEALTH increases is to blame...meat consumption in the West has increased by 4 times the levels of just 50 years ago...and dairy by 2 times. Amazing hey.

So now...in less than the next 50 years...China population could quadruple their meat consumption too if they copy the trend of the West of the past 50 years.

Who is going to show a different trend ? is the question.

View attachment 22297
View attachment 22296

View attachment 22295

I totally agree with your general message. When people start to say things to me like "But China...." I always talk about per capita. It boggles my mind how many people ignore per capita in considering scientific problems with animal agriculture, fossil fuels, and even COVID-19. Absolutely, Western culture IS the problem. People who make arguments based on population alone are typically trying to excuse Americans from their culpability, and either are ignorant of OR willfully ignore that consumption is actually more of a problem, as a whole, than population. It's not that population isn't a problem (it is) but that consumption is numero uno. I had to do tedious, boring Excel spreadsheets with math problems that made me want to rip my hair out - because my professors wanted us to see the scientific data for ourselves. American people, in general, are pseudo-scientists. They read some random crap in the news paper and think they're scientific experts, or "that makes sense," or "gee I don't know who to listen to." Actually, we know exactly who to listen to. ...Reputable academic studies, especially those with large sample sizes, preferably meta-studies that compare information from numerous similar studies to eliminate bias to the smallest possible degree.

I took breaks from activism, from the Internet, from all of this because of the pandemic on top of climate change. And I see vividly now what was causing me so much rage and anxiety is the sheer arrogance of Americans or Western people in general.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs