Getting filmed without your permission?

Flowrydabae

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
...and then getting sued for using a photo of you that someone else took? How is that possible? You didn't ask that person if it was okay to take a photo of them. How do you think they feel that they're practically being creeped upon in public? Nowadays, the use of smartphones makes it extremely easy to take a photo or video of someone in an inconspicuous way, and it genuinely bothers me. I'm sure many people don't have a problem with a security camera on their face at a grocery store, because nobody is looking into that footage unless something serious happened like a robbery, or a shooting. However, if you're aiming your phone at a random innocent and completely non suspicious looking girl who just happens to be in a skimpy outfit, I would have to question what crime she is committing that you have to save a photograph or a video of her unbeknownst.

Apparently, you can now get sued for using photographs of yourself that someone else professionally took without your permission and without you even noticing the picture being taken. Ariana Grande got sued twice by a professional photographer who takes secretive photographs of celebrities when they aren't looking. I don't understand. This is my body. You capturing it is extremely unsettling to me. No different from the reaction I would give to a man fondling me without my permission. It's the same exact situation. In both cases, you were not given consent to my body, therefore, I do not want you anywhere near me.

I'm not sure what this has to do with veganism, but there is something called a model release. If you are out in public and a photographer takes a photograph of you where your face is clearly recognizable, they cannot publish/sell for profit that photo without your signing a release (for example, as art, or in advertising). However, if it is a photo taken by a journalist, they do not need your permission (e.g., to run the photo in a news article or another journalistic purpose). In neither case do you own the photo, the photographer does.

When you do sign the model release, however, you do not own the photo simply because you are in it. The photographer is the artist and he/she holds the copyright to that photo. They may chose to negotiate full rights with you, but it's negotiated for a fee. When you hire a photographer to take photographs of you, say for a portrait, or for wedding photos, you pay their fee, and for usage rights. You do not own the right to all of their photos, and you should read the contract carefully as it will stipulate how you are allowed to use the photo.

Source: I used to work in a commercial photo studio and we did model shoots all the time.

I'm not sure what this has to do with veganism, but there is something called a model release. If you are out in public and a photographer takes a photograph of you where your face is clearly recognizable, they cannot publish/sell for profit that photo without your signing a release (for example, as art, or in advertising). However, if it is a photo taken by a journalist, they do not need your permission (e.g., to run the photo in a news article or another journalistic purpose). In neither case do you own the photo, the photographer does.

When you do sign the model release, however, you do not own the photo simply because you are in it. The photographer is the artist and he/she holds the copyright to that photo. They may chose to negotiate full rights with you, but it's negotiated for a fee. When you hire a photographer to take photographs of you, say for a portrait, or for wedding photos, you pay their fee, and for usage rights. You do not own the right to all of their photos, and you should read the contract carefully as it will stipulate how you are allowed to use the photo.

Source: I used to work in a commercial photo studio and we did model shoots all the time.
Oh, I have to make every single post about vegan stuff? Even in the lounge forum? I honestly didn't know. I'm sorry. I tried to find the rules for the lounge sub forum, but only saw "stuff that doesn't belong in the other forums can go here" (something like that). Then I saw Damo who is the admin post a thread about music which also had nothing to do with veganism in the lounge, so I thought I was okay. Also, how can he hold the rights to a photo of me by claiming he's the artist of the photo if I'm the one who sat up for 3 hours putting on makeup, doing my hair, and putting on an lbd? I am the artist. You're stealing my work.

Sorry - didn't realize this was the lounge.

And also sorry, but that's not the way copyright law works, unfortunately. Read up on it next time before having photos taken if you have any further confusion about that. It might not sound right, but that's the way it works.

Sorry - didn't realize this was the lounge.

And also sorry, but that's not the way copyright law works, unfortunately. Read up on it next time before having photos taken if you have any further confusion about that. It might not sound right, but that's the way it works.
But that's the thing. I didn't ask to be photographed. The dude snuck up on me when I was in the club. Didn't say anything, nothing. I didn't consent to anything. This happens all the time and it's creepy. How do I know they're not doing creepy things with it at night?

But that's the thing. I didn't ask to be photographed. The dude snuck up on me when I was in the club. Didn't say anything, nothing. I didn't consent to anything. This happens all the time and it's creepy. How do I know they're not doing creepy things with it at night?
So, was this a guest at the club and took the photo with his phone, or was it the hired photographer for the event? If the former, you probably do have the right to ask that the photo be removed from wherever it was posted (I assume it was posted on social media?), but I'm not sure about the latter case. There may be some fine print in the ticket sales or somewhere that says that by being there you're agreeing to be photographed. Sometimes, even if you're in the right, it is difficult to fight these things. But you do need to check the fine print at the venue to know for sure if the photographer was hired for the event.

I used to go to clubs all the time and I knew there was a photographer there and that there was a decent chance my photo would end up on the venue's FB page. It's just part of the deal. That being said, had I really wanted to, I could have probably asked that a photo be removed, but I never did b/c I didn't care. That being said, if it was just some random dude who took a photo with his personal phone and was plastering it over the internet, I would ask that it be taken down. If he/she didn't do it, I'd get a lawyer to write up a threatening letter. But anyway - good luck whichever the case!

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
So, was this a guest at the club and took the photo with his phone, or was it the hired photographer for the event? If the former, you probably do have the right to ask that the photo be removed from wherever it was posted (I assume it was posted on social media?), but I'm not sure about the latter case. There may be some fine print in the ticket sales or somewhere that says that by being there you're agreeing to be photographed. Sometimes, even if you're in the right, it is difficult to fight these things. But you do need to check the fine print at the venue to know for sure if the photographer was hired for the event.

I used to go to clubs all the time and I knew there was a photographer there and that there was a decent chance my photo would end up on the venue's FB page. It's just part of the deal. That being said, had I really wanted to, I could have probably asked that a photo be removed, but I never did b/c I didn't care. That being said, if it was just some random dude who took a photo with his personal phone and was plastering it over the internet, I would ask that it be taken down. If he/she didn't do it, I'd get a lawyer to write up a threatening letter. But anyway - good luck whichever the case!
It was a creep on his cell.

Yep, anyone can take a picture anywhere.

I took a photography class last semester where we were given "tips" on how to take pictures of random people when we were doing street photography (get closer! get closer!). It honestly felt pretty creepy! Lol.

• Friendly
Yep, anyone can take a picture anywhere.

I took a photography class last semester where we were given "tips" on how to take pictures of random people when we were doing street photography (get closer! get closer!). It honestly felt pretty creepy! Lol.
That's terrible.

This happened many years ago when I was shopping in Whole Foods. Imagine my surprise when I opened the Health section of the Los Angeles Times several days later to find a photo of me taken behind me accompanying a story on the explosion in popularity of vitamins and supplements. I was picking up something from the vitamin shelf to examine, and I had no idea there was someone behind me taking a picture. Since my face wasn’t visible, the photographer didn’t ask my permission. I wouldn’t have minded having my picture in the newspaper, but that just felt a little creepy.

• Friendly
I took a photo of someone once without their permission and it was pointed out to me I shouldn't have done that, have never taken a photo without the other person's permission since.

• Friendly
...and then getting sued for using a photo of you that someone else took? How is that possible? You didn't ask that person if it was okay to take a photo of them. How do you think they feel that they're practically being creeped upon in public? Nowadays, the use of smartphones makes it extremely easy to take a photo or video of someone in an inconspicuous way, and it genuinely bothers me. I'm sure many people don't have a problem with a security camera on their face at a grocery store, because nobody is looking into that footage unless something serious happened like a robbery, or a shooting. However, if you're aiming your phone at a random innocent and completely non suspicious looking girl who just happens to be in a skimpy outfit, I would have to question what crime she is committing that you have to save a photograph or a video of her unbeknownst.

Apparently, you can now get sued for using photographs of yourself that someone else professionally took without your permission and without you even noticing the picture being taken. Ariana Grande got sued twice by a professional photographer who takes secretive photographs of celebrities when they aren't looking. I don't understand. This is my body. You capturing it is extremely unsettling to me. No different from the reaction I would give to a man fondling me without my permission. It's the same exact situation. In both cases, you were not given consent to my body, therefore, I do not want you anywhere near me.
I hate all this intrusion on privacy!
But how are YOU being sued?

• Friendly
I looked it up once, it is perfectly legal to take photos of people without their permission... but i think it is unethical and intrusive.

I took a photo of someone once without their permission and it was pointed out to me I shouldn't have done that, have never taken a photo without the other person's permission since.

I take photos of people in public places as it's not illegal in the UK. Moreover, it would be very difficult to do so as there are people everywhere unless you're in a village.

Google street view has a photo online of my sister in the front yard with Tascha, my Great Pyrenees, in mid poop. Hilarious!

My nephew happened upon it.

The time when you could have any expectation of not being photographed while outdoors or in a public area is long past.

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15
Google street view has a photo online of my sister in the front yard with Tascha, my Great Pyrenees, in mid poop. Hilarious!

My nephew happened upon it.

The time when you could have any expectation of not being photographed while outdoors or in a public area is long past.
Yes, I go under the assumption that I'm being watched anytime I'm in pubic. People even have home security cameras on their doors and whatnot now. And with cellphones, it's so much easier to snap a quick photo without anyone noticing.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
Yes, I go under the assumption that I'm being watched anytime I'm in pubic. People even have home security cameras on their doors and whatnot now. And with cellphones, it's so much easier to snap a quick photo without anyone noticing.

True. There was a man arrested in the UK for doing so. He was caught on CCTV taking photos of a woman's underwear whilst he was next to her in a shop.
She was completely unaware of the fact. How disgusting. :confounded:

I'm thankful for CCTV. 627,707 CCTV Cameras in London (2020) That means 1 camera per 14 people.

• Wow
Reactions: PTree15
I'm pretty sure that (in the U.S.), if you're out in public, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas