George Zimmerman trial

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
An interesting take on the Zimmerman trial.

"The question that has not surfaced in the courtroom -- the elephant in the room -- is this: Did Martin fear for his life after being followed and confronted by a stranger while going to the store to buy candy and a soft drink? Was he, Martin, justified in standing his ground and defending himself when this stranger, an apparent stalker, approached him in a threatening manner?"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/opini...ial/?sr=google_news&google_editors_picks=true

"The question that has not surfaced in the courtroom -- the elephant in the room -- is this: Did Martin fear for his life after being followed and confronted by a stranger while going to the store to buy candy and a soft drink? Was he, Martin, justified in standing his ground and defending himself when this stranger, an apparent stalker, approached him in a threatening manner?"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/opini...ial/?sr=google_news&google_editors_picks=true

It's a salient point. From what I've seen of this trial - it appears as though the prosecution is blowing it.

CNN is trolling for controversy.

"Stand your ground" laws removes your duty to retreat. It doesn't give grounds to attack someone who is following you.

Reactions: cornsail

"Stand your ground" has nothing to do with this case on either side. I have no idea why the media decided to run with that as an issue. I guess medias gonna media.

Zimmerman isn't going for the stand your ground defense, though, he is going straight self-defense. I read that he has to testify if they go for stand your ground.

Eta oh I just read your link. Interesting, I had not thought of that.

Cnn broadcast zimmermans social secutity number, address, drivers license etc by mistake apparently. :rolleyes:

"Stand your ground" has nothing to do with this case on either side. I have no idea why the media decided to run with that as an issue. I guess medias gonna media.

The news exists to sell advertising. That's it. "Stand your ground" is more controversial than "self-defense". Hence it attracts viewers and sells more advertising.

Even though the Zimmerman defense hinges on a situation where SYG doesn't even apply.

Just look at the article in question:

"Think about it: We're told over and over that if Zimmerman was afraid of Martin, according to Florida law, he had the right to put a bullet in the chamber of his concealed handgun, get out of his car after being told not to by the 911 dispatcher and follow and confront Martin and shoot him to death."

Here's part of the problem: Zimmerman was already out of the vehicle when he was told by the dispatcher he didn't need to follow Martin. But Zimmerman being told not to follow Martin and then exiting the vehicle anyways makes a far better story than what the non-emergency transcript (not 911) tells us.

Zimmerman being outside of his vehicle before being told he didn't have to follow Martin isn't in dispute. Zimmerman calling a non-emergency number, and not 911, isn't in dispute. And Florida law sure doesn't give Zimmerman the right to confront Martin and shoot him, not without extenuating circumstances.* But the article writer already has their bias in mind, and they have a target audience. They don't have to bother with getting the facts straight, and instead we get a sloppy opinion piece.

* Florida law does appear to give Zimmerman the right to follow Martin, and even ask what he's doing, and if Martin responds by attacking Zimmerman, Zimmerman has the right to use deadly force if he could reasonably perceive his life is in danger.

* Florida law does appear to give Zimmerman the right to follow Martin, and even ask what he's doing, and if Martin responds by attacking Zimmerman, Zimmerman has the right to use deadly force if he could reasonably perceive his life is in danger.
Check these out. :eek:
/b/"The number of cases is increasing, largely because defense attorneys are using "stand your ground" in ways state legislators never envisioned. The defense has been invoked in dozens of cases with minor or no injuries. It has also been used by a self-described "vampire" in Pinellas County, a Miami man arrested with a single marijuana cigarette, a Fort Myers homeowner who shot a bear and a West Palm Beach jogger who beat a Jack Russell terrier.•

People often go free under "stand your ground" in cases that seem to make a mockery of what lawmakers intended. One man killed two unarmed people and walked out of jail. Another shot a man as he lay on the ground. Others went free after shooting their victims in the back. In nearly a third of the cases the Times analyzed, defendants initiated the fight, shot an unarmed person or pursued their victim — and still went free.

• Similar cases can have opposite outcomes. Depending on who decided their cases, some drug dealers claiming self-defense have gone to prison while others have been set free. The same holds true for killers who left a fight, only to arm themselves and return. Shoot someone from your doorway? Fire on a fleeing burglar? Your case can swing on different interpretations of the law by prosecutors, judge or jury./b/"
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...s-some-shocking-outcomes-depending-on/1233133

Check these out. :eek:
/b/"The number of cases is increasing, largely because defense attorneys are using "stand your ground" in ways state legislators never envisioned. The defense has been invoked in dozens of cases with minor or no injuries. It has also been used by a self-described "vampire" in Pinellas County, a Miami man arrested with a single marijuana cigarette, a Fort Myers homeowner who shot a bear and a West Palm Beach jogger who beat a Jack Russell terrier.

I had to look at that since I don't recall if the Florida law requires force to be used against a human or not.

Bear case:

The outcome: Doerr's attorney filed a "stand your ground" immunity motion, which a judged denied. Doerr then accepted a plea deal that gave him two years probation and required him to donate $500 to a wildlife fund. Adjudication was withheld, meaning the charge will not appear on his record.

Jack Russell case:

The outcome: Schecter's public defender filed a motion for immunity based on "stand your ground." A judge denied the motion, saying "stand your ground" only provides immunity to those who use force "against a person rather than chattel or property." Schecter was found guilty by a jury in Oct. 2011.

I'm not seeing the SYG as being a problem here. A lawyer filed a motion based on whatever flimsy excuse they could find and the judge squashed it.

It's like saying it shouldn't be legal to fight back against an attacker (self-defense) because some people claim self-defense when they started a fight.

Marijuana cigarette case:

The marijuana cigarette case is a guy who was arrested after (he claims) someone brandished a knife at him, so he punched the guy, took the knife, and ran away. He's trying to claim that since what he did was legal under SYG, the arrest and search was illegal. The case is still pending, but I'd bet that the court is going to find against him. I doubt it's wrong for the police to arrest someone while they are still determining the facts of the case, nor do I suspect it is wrong for the police to search someone that they have arrested.

The "vampire" case:

Let's give the details:

What happened: Milton Bennett Ellis Jr. said he was sleeping on the patio outside a vacant Hooter's restaurant when he woke to find a woman on top of him screaming that she was a vampire. Ellis, who uses a wheelchair, said he tried to fend the woman off as she bit off chunks of his face and part of his lip. Witnesses who called 911 said they heard a woman screaming and a man shaking her and trying to hush her up. Police arrested Josephine Smith, who was found partly clothed with numerous bruises. Smith, who was intoxicated, said she did not remember what happened. Ellis was 69 at the time, Smith was 22. Smith was charged with aggravated battery on an elderly person.

The outcome: Smith's public defender filed a motion for immunity based on the "stand your ground" statute. The defense alleged that police arrested the wrong suspect and that Ellis had been bitten while sexually assaulting Smith and holding her on the ground. The judge denied the motion. Smith later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of battery and was sentenced to 12 months in jail.

Not only did the judge deny the statute, but according to her claims, she wasn't engaged in SYG, just in self-defense. I think the reporter made a mistake. (Especially since in Florida, the SYG is not a separate statute, but part of a broader self-defense statute. There's actually two statutes, one of which references the other.)

This woman tried to claim she was being sexually assaulted and fought back. I'm not sure about you, but I think it's perfectly fine if it's legal for an individual to fight back while being sexually assaulted, even if it leads to some people (like this one) trying to use self-defense to justify what appears to be an attack on an older man.

If this is the worst cases that they can cite, I don't think SYG is a problem. In three of the cases, the lawyer for the defendant made a motion based on flimsy evidence, and in each of those the motion was denied. The fourth case is still pending at the time the article was written, but I suspect the SYG defense will be thrown out.

Some of the other cases don't even seem to be SYG either. Like the "two unarmed people" being killed. Here's the case:

What happened: Michael Monahan, a disabled veteran, shot and killed two men who cornered him in the cabin of his sailboat during an argument. Monahan told police the men had tried to remove him from the sailboat, which he said he had previously bought from one of the men, Raymond "Ramie" Mohlman. Mohlman was angry because Monahan had allowed the boat to be ticketed while still registered in Mohlman's name. Mohlman and the other victim, Matthew Vittum, had both been drinking. Prosecutors argued that neither victim was armed when boarding the boat and that neither had touched the shooter during the argument. Legally, Mohlman still owned the boat at the time.

Now which part of this is SYG? Here is the SYG part of the Florida law:

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

But according to the victim, he was cornered. That doesn't sound like he had a choice to retreat.

Part of the same statute, but a different section, states:

A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

I think the reporter screwed that up.

The Zimmerman trial has no effect on most Americans' lives. Just another way the media can focus on the less important stories while the more important stories are ignored.

The Republicans are trying to reduce the amount spent on research for renewable energy. They're not even trying these days. It's become an embarassment of a party.

Reactions: peacefulveglady
I wish the media would stop blowing things up and televising trials, etc. There are worries locally that there could be violence after the verdict, no matter which way it goes. :(

The Zimmerman trial has no effect on most Americans' lives. Just another way the media can focus on the less important stories while the more important stories are ignored.

Actually I do believe the outcome of the trial will affect certain American lives. If Zimmerman is acquitted, which I believe he will be, it might encourage people (even more) to stalk and attack and even kill anyone they see in their neighborhoods they deem suspicions, even if it's just some black kid walking home from the store. Black kids are already told by their parents to be careful, not to wear certain clothes, not to act in a certain manner, to fear for their lives. The outcome of the trial will make this worse for them, and for any minority kid.

(And not just in Florida, but all over the country.)

The Republicans are trying to reduce the amount spent on research for renewable energy. They're not even trying these days. It's become an embarassment of a party.

It will be interesting to see who ends up as the Republican presidential candidate in 2016. Last year they thought they came up with the perfect candidate: Somebody bland willing to change his position on anything whenever necessary. That didn't work. :p

Actually I do believe the outcome of the trial will affect certain American lives. If Zimmerman is acquitted, which I believe he will be, it might encourage people (even more) to stalk and attack and even kill anyone they see in their neighborhoods they deem suspicions, even if it's just some black kid walking home from the store.

I could see that, especially with the sensational way that the trial is being reported where facts and claims get twisted around.

Some people are acting like Zimmerman hunted Martin down and shot him without warning. AFAICT, that's what neither the prosecution nor defense claims.

The funny thing is for as "racist" as this trial is supposed to be, AFAIK, the only racism actually testified about at the trial was Martin's comment about Zimmerman being a "cracker".

I read in a few articles that Zimmerman was using self defense, I am seeing alot of things on my news feeds on facebook from friends and pages and I am trying to avoid reading their reactions.

Actually I do believe the outcome of the trial will affect certain American lives. If Zimmerman is acquitted, which I believe he will be, it might encourage people (even more) to stalk and attack and even kill anyone they see in their neighborhoods they deem suspicions, even if it's just some black kid walking home from the store. Black kids are already told by their parents to be careful, not to wear certain clothes, not to act in a certain manner, to fear for their lives. The outcome of the trial will make this worse for them, and for any minority kid.

Did you watch the trial?

Some statistics, from this report, on the extrajudicial killing of Black people in the United States last year by police, security guards and George Zimmermans:

tumblr_mlrxad2yNk1r6m2leo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mlrxad2yNk1r6m2leo2_500.jpg

I agree that the outcome of this trial will be that a certain segment of the population will feel justified in shooting people, and especially during confrontations they themselves have initiated.

Heck, the next time someone does something that I can construe as trying to run me off the road, I'll just shoot them.

And if I lived in Florida, I'd definitely carry a concealed weapon. Ensuring that one is the only survivor of any kind of confrontation seems to be the way to go.