Galaxy Foods Mexican Style Shreds (cheese substitute)

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I ran across this product the other day and saw that it was a new item and was not based on soy, so I thought this may be a contender to Daiya. I got home and tried it straight out of the bag. Yuck. It tasted like the old school faux cheeses, which isn’t a good thing. Well, a few days later, I thought maybe I was too hasty in my judgement. Again, it had this pasty taste and a bad texture, nothing like real cheese.

I am not inexperienced with vegan cheese, so I knew it might taste better melted. So, I decided to make a cheese quesadilla. It melted well, so that was a good start. First bite and I could still taste the non-cheese flavors. After a few bites, it was tolerable, but still not very good. Conclusion: buy Daiya instead.

Stats:
Veg friendly? It’s vegan!
Taste: 5/10 stars
Quality: 7/10 stars
Value: 6/10 stars
Price: $5.00

I agree with sleepydvdr. I tried this and it was waxy and pasty tasting.Even melting it doesn't improve it very much.But it is vegan and if your desperate for something sort of cheese like it might not bother you.I would not buy it again however.I would prefer to make my own cheese sauce to this.Also there was nothing mexican tasting about it.