Funny how the weather forecast affects the weather.

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
If we had more and more powerful computers and more information gathering sensors, then we could predict the weather further into the future, but due to the butterfly effect, the forecast itself, if it was broadcast on tellie, would itself effect the long term weather.....say the forecast said it was going to rain ten days from the forecast; then people may change their plans, and their behaviour would be generally affected. This affects the world, and the weather systems, meaning it may not rain in ten days time after all.

Say someone had a dream about 9/11. They stop 9/11 happen, and so where does the dream come from? Clairvoyant dreams only happen when things can't be prevented...otherwise the dreams cancel themselves out.

Discuss.:tired:

wotever I should go to bed really....

Last edited:
Well. I think sometimes the powers of that butterfly are somewhat exaggerated. It takes more than a rain dance to make it rain, at least most of the time.

In principle you are of course correct that people's behavior may change as a result of a forecast, and it's possible (but unlikely, I think) that their behavior could influence the weather so as to make the forecast wrong.

Maybe with traffic forecasts people stand a better chance of changing their behavior and thereby make the forecast wrong ...

I would discuss this with you, but I had a vision of what would happen due to this conversation, so now I'm curtailed from discussing it in any meaningful manner. I can only communicate about it in cryptic doggerel and vague allusions.

The rain will fall on you like his own urine wets the chin hairs of the billy goat...

In principle you are of course correct that people's behavior may change as a result of a forecast, and it's possible (but unlikely, I think) that their behavior could influence the weather so as to make the forecast wrong.

yes, maybe a short time period isn't long enough for the butterfly effect to make much difference. But people's behaviour will affect the weather over long periods of time.

You would think all the hot air that's released by the blow-hards in D.C. would have a tremendous effect on the US weather patterns, but there's barely a ripple.