Frustrated Vegan

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello everyone, as of recently I turned from a pescatarian to a vegan. Since I was 15 I've been replacing snacks and breakfast with vegan food and was a vegetarian for 3 months. The reason it did not work for me then was because of my eating disorder, though I knew some of the facts and benefits I could not stop counting calories. Fast forward to 2 days ago when I watched "Cowspiracy" and it was the last push for me to go vegan. At this point there's no going back for me and I strongly believe this is the way to go if we want to conserve and thrive on this Earth. I posted a lot of the important parts on my snapchat and the next day my close friend posted on her story "When all of a sudden all of your friends become professional nutritionists." This was a bit agricating for me hence the title. I am not only a vegan at this point but also an activist. It's part of my personality truly, to act on what I believe in. I messaged her that she might have a different outlook on things after she saw the documentary. Her reply was that she's already vitamin deficient, she loves meat and that she already knows a lot about veganism through Biology. I realized it was useless trying to convince her of anything. I'm scared for this Earth and what's going to happen when our bad habits catch up to us, that is way I have the need to let people know of our destructive ways. But everyone that I have reached out to thinks they know more and don't believe in anything I'm saying. I don't know how to deal with this frustration and am starting to feel like an outsider.

Hello Maya,

Before I write a proper reply, can you confirm whether you still have the ED or whether this is a thing of the past?

I want to make sure you are healthy first.

Biology? What do they teach about veganism in biology? It wouldn't go beyond 'vegans don't eat animal products'. There are many, many facets of veganism, animal rights, vegan activism, environmentalism that would not be covered in 'biology'. Yes, that is indeed very frustrating.

Well, you're in good company here. Have a look through some of the other support threads and you'll see many posters just as frustrated. There is never one, simple answer though.

Hi Maya,

The challenge is that about 50% of the dietary advice out there is about low carb / high fat (meat, butter, cheese and eggs), the other 50% high carb / low fat (usually plant based).

So how does one make the right choice with so much conflicting information around ? If you can answer that, then you know how to 'convert' all your loved ones.

In my case, I experienced the dark side for about six years.

Gab

Reactions: Maya Sakhibzadayeva
There's not much you can do

Last edited by a moderator:
What is "ED" btw ? I have seen that abbreviation being used on this forum a couple of times .. I can't think of anything except for erectile dysfunction

Hi Everyone,
I get really frustrated when I am made to feel odd and freaky just because I am a vegan, especially in restaurants etc, it gets really boring after a while.

Hi Everyone! When it comes to trying to convince people of understanding why you are vegan or the benefits it really depends on the person, some people are very curious, interested and engaged while it seems like your friend has a bit of a block up and doesn't want to here. With people like that it is often best to leave them, they will only change when they truly want to change.

Rainey we totally get what you mean! sometimes it can be really annoying and a bad experience in one restaurant can leave you feeling incredibly frustrated, maybe try going to more vegan and vegetarian restaurants etc, this will be a lot easier and its quite nice to go to a place where you know you can have everything on the menu. It's also a great place to go to with friends who are interested in supporting your Veganism and really get them interested.

The Vegan Edition Team
The Vegan Edition

Reactions: 1 person
Hey There, there is lots you can do.

Look up: http://www.viva.org.uk/

and you can find people in your area, deliver leaflets. There seems to be vegan groups in most places so maybe you could join one and then you'd could be with like-minded people. You are on the path to change the world. The animals and the planet need you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person