Fruit & vegetables: how much washing is enough?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
With fruit and vegetables you cannot tell when the part of the toxins that can be removed by washing has actually been removed. So how do you know how long / intensively you have to/should wash something like this?

So how long, how and how intensively should you actually wash vegetables and fruit?

I learned some stuff by reading that.
Good stuff. People should take a minute to read it.

That's enough to make anybody paranoid! I've got better things to do with my life than to spend it being terrified of every type of bacteria and I'm not dead yet. Remove outer leaves, top and tail and remove anything that looks rough. That's enough for me.

Many thanks for the link! Yes, very useful indeed.

Apples, cucumbers and other firm
produce. Wash well or peel to remove waxy
preservative.
I had some of those produces the last times. The wax absolutely wasn't removable. So then you have to really peel them? I guess, you shouldn't even buy such products.

That's enough to make anybody paranoid!
Maybe not anybody. But, OK, that might explain the strange behavior of the people around me.

I've got better things to do with my life than to spend it being terrified of every type of bacteria and I'm not dead yet. Remove outer leaves, top and tail and remove anything that looks rough. That's enough for me.
OK, thank you!

That's enough to make anybody paranoid! I've got better things to do with my life than to spend it being terrified of every type of bacteria and I'm not dead yet. Remove outer leaves, top and tail and remove anything that looks rough. That's enough for me.
Well, it seems to me the cost risk is way in favor of washing. A couple of. minutes. of washing vs a bout of Salmonella, E. coli, or Listeria.

Although your produce might not be contaminated with bacteria, it almost certainly has residues of pesticides

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
Well, it seems to me the cost risk is way in favor of washing. A couple of. minutes. of washing vs a bout of Salmonella, E. coli, or Listeria.

Although your produce might not be contaminated with bacteria, it almost certainly has residues of pesticides

Yeah, but I've taken to make more of an effort to eat what I buy rather than worry. I have a goal of letting veg and fruit soak in water/vinegar, wash apples and things with rind in soap. I don't always
I never get stomach upset outside of eating things I shouldn't, like that time I took a chance on iffy tofu--don't ever do that!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
  • Agree
Reactions: silva and Emma JC
Thank you very much for the links!

I guess, fruit and vegetables from India are similar to those from Mexico or even worse, and you probably shouldn't eat them at all.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
“The bottom line—washing produce before eating it raw or cooking it is a good idea.”​

The effects of washing produce have been empirically studied. State officials at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station published a study in 2000 that compared pesticide levels in store-bought produce before and after being rinsed with running water. They found that water noticeably decreased the residue remaining from nine out of the 12 pesticides that they measured.​
In subsequent research, they also tested what happened to batches of produce under several different scenarios: leaving it unwashed, washing it with running water for a minute, washing it with a mix of water and soap, and washing it with four specially marketed produce wash products. They found that only the unrinsed produce showed noticeably higher levels of pesticide residue, meaning that running water alone was enough to remove pesticides.​

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and silva
Many thanks for the great links also!

Yes, washing produce indeed seems to be a very good idea.

They found that water noticeably decreased the residue remaining from nine out of the 12 pesticides that they measured.
But perhaps scary that apparently 3 pesticides were decreased less than noticeably.

At a minimum rinse all fresh produce under tap water for at least thirty seconds.
Does this actually mean just rinsing without rubbing?

Does this actually mean just rinsing without rubbing?
I think so.
but as long as you're rinsing might as well do a little scrubbing.
I bought a little "carrot scrubber" years ago. Turns out it's good for almost everything.

Strawberries and blueberries I soak and rinse. I find letting them dry before I put them away is important to make them last longer. I but organic ones but I may stop buying blueberries altogether

Because of their heavy residues (frozen and "fresh"), I suspect. These and other berries are said to be very important for nutrition. Yes, drying / dehydrating food makes them last (very much) longer, I guess.

I got me a vegetable scrubber last Saturday.

What might be the best method to wash Cherry tomatoes / the smallest tomatoes and grapes and berries?

That's encouraging :)
I hate washing--the cutting and the soaking and the draining and the rinsing....
I can rinse though! I do...and I brush all root veg...but it's good knowing I'm doing something

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Many thanks for the link, too!

Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds, before and after handling tomatoes.
Why washing the hands after handling tomatoes? If you washed your hands before and after handling every single vegetable/fruit, that would be a lot of effort (but maybe that only applies to tomatoes in particular). And maybe also affect the hands/skin and make them dry.

Every year, more than 4 million Canadians get food poisoning
10 %, unbelievable. The number does not even take into account illnesses that are not recognized as food poisoning, I assume. So in addition, there are certainly illnesses/malaises that are not recognized as food poisoning. Maybe another 10%. Or even more.

So I assume you just take a handful of small tomatoes/grapes/berries between both hands and rub them back and forth. Or maybe move it back and forth in the sieve.

Yes, I hate it too (that can't be a coincidence). If it weren't for the washing and cutting, the meals would be prepared much faster.