Freezing Vegetables and Fruit

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I ran into this video. I hadn't realized that you could freeze citrus and celery. A lot of times things just go bad in the back when you could just freeze it:

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Like the mushrooms I got on sale! I've never frozen from raw, but apparently it's ok. I guess I'll do that now...
And dark leafy greens

Reactions: Emma JC
I saw another one. I knew diced regular onions could be frozen but I hadn't realized that it works for green onions, too. I had a pretty sad looking bunch of green onions, so I cut off the bad parts, diced it up, and stuck it in freezer. It will be nice to just take the container out and shake some on top of soup or ramen.

Green onions are one thing that I keep buying and throwing some away when it goes bad.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
This is really interesting. For a long time I have been thinking of making my own frozen carrots, but haven't done anything about that. Maybe I should try that. How hard can it be? Just cook them, cool them and stick them in the freezer and then you have almost fresh carrots for every day of the week.

Reactions: Emma JC
on a similar topic, bananas can also be kept in the fridge and they stay pretty much in the stage of ripeness that you put them in at - I put them inside a plastic bag and love not having to run to the store, just for bananas

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
I have experimented on this a little because I try to use less plastic.
I just cut the onions/carrots/parsnips into small pieces and put them into the freezer. I don't even boil them first. They are ready to be used, but I think you have to cook them when you take them from the freezer. If only I would have known how easy this is I would have done this sooner.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC