First time Vegan in need of advice

KDA83

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hey everyone :)

I am very new to the vegan diet and was advised to go vegan for the health benefits. I have hypertension and Hidradenitis Suppurtiva.

I have always bought cruelty free and vegan alternatives ethical reasons food wise I started with Allplants for ease sake due to having spinal problems the ready meals are handy as I can't stand and cook until I get my spinal operation. Even prep work is tricky at present.

I seem to be hitting my protein intake perfectly and calcium I am on Acdal D3 as I've osteoporosis and lactose intolerant even some nut milks just don't agree with me.

I was wondering what other supplements would be beneficial to introduce to support iron and other essential minerals and vitamins.

Thank you in advance for the guidance :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Normally I'm only too glad to give people nutrition advice. but since you have some serious ailments, I don't think I'm qualified. there is also concerns with drug interactions. Best Bet: discuss this with your doctors. Maybe even get a referral to a dietician.
Here in the US we have registered dietician. They are similar to nurses. but we also have "nutritionists" and just about anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. so make sure if you go see one that they have been recommended or referred to you by a doctor.

Acdal D3 looks like a good deal. When you look at your protein intake you might want to look at your calcium intake too. it is possible to take too much calcium which does create other problems. But I bet your doctors check your calcium levels anyway.

how about B12?

Reactions: David3
Normally I'm only too glad to give people nutrition advice. but since you have some serious ailments, I don't think I'm qualified. there is also concerns with drug interactions. Best Bet: discuss this with your doctors. Maybe even get a referral to a dietician.
Here in the US we have registered dietician. They are similar to nurses. but we also have "nutritionists" and just about anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. so make sure if you go see one that they have been recommended or referred to you by a doctor.

Acdal D3 looks like a good deal. When you look at your protein intake you might want to look at your calcium intake too. it is possible to take too much calcium which does create other problems. But I bet your doctors check your calcium levels anyway.

how about B12?

Dear Lou,

Unfortunately my ailments are tricky with the vegan diet, especially as you say with the medication aspect of it.

Before I started the vegan diet I never ate dairy and before this I was mainly Pescatarian. My doctors I have spoke to and they are on the fence about the vegan diet but I personally feel better ethically, mentally and physically when on a vegan diet.

Soya protein I've had to avoid, nutritionally yeast due to adverse effects with the Hidradenitis Suppurtiva, Tofu however has been a life saver but I seen here in the UK

Holland & Barrett Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral Tablets

I was thinking of introducing it into my diet as I use Fitness Pal to keep track of my weight (Little Fluffy) Hehe. Plus it helps me keep track of certain vitamins and minerals.

B12 ill definitely need to introduce but I must seek out a better dietician as I would love to stick to it.

Sad most medical "Professionals" are ignorant to the vegan diet as personally I feel my best on it.

Definitely take some B12. It is the one nutrient that is totally unavailable in Vegan food.
That multi seems safe enough. it has a lot of zinc and some people's tummies get upset by zinc, especially on an empty stomach. so be sure to take it with some food.

My experience is that medical professionals are getting more and more enthusiastic about patients who eat plant based so you should be able to find a good dietician.

Oh, here is a tip I feel confident about.
Have you ever heard of CronOmeter? Go check it out, its free. If you have questions about it, shoot me a PM.

Definitely take some B12. It is the one nutrient that is totally unavailable in Vegan food.
That multi seems safe enough. it has a lot of zinc and some people's tummies get upset by zinc, especially on an empty stomach. so be sure to take it with some food.

My experience is that medical professionals are getting more and more enthusiastic about patients who eat plant based so you should be able to find a good dietician.

Oh, here is a tip I feel confident about.
Have you ever heard of CronOmeter? Go check it out, its free. If you have questions about it, shoot me a PM.

I just downloaded CronOMeter it definitely seems a lot better than Fitness Pal considering it gives you the full breakdown of all the minerals and vitamins consumed. This will be most helpful :)

Zinc I haven't had to much trouble with due to having Hidradenitis Suppurtiva Zinc is one component in which actually aids the condition. Along with a microbial wash with Zinc Pyrithoine.

Sadly I haven't found a vegan alternative just as yet which is fungal/ance safe or non-comedogenic. Otherwise all beauty, clothing and general use products are cruelty free and vegan friendly.

I don't suppose you could recommend a B12 supplement in which is good?

I'll definitely PM if I run into any issues with CronOMeter it'll take a wee bit to get used to :)

There are at least two schools of thought on B12.

First off you have to understand that there is limit to how much B12 you can absorb at one meal.
If I remember right its like 25 or 33% of the RDA.

after you hit that limit, B12 is absorbed at about 1%.

So in one shcool you take multiple amounts of B12 3 - 4x a day. The way I do this is by drinking and eating fortified foods 3 - 4 x a day. The soy milk I like is fortified and I find it easy to drink 3 - 4 glasses a day.

someone here on the VF does about the same thing but with fortified nutritional yeast.

but many people find that inconvenient. So the other school of thought is to
"Take one B12 supplement daily providing at least 10 micrograms. OR Take a weekly B12 supplement providing at least 2000 micrograms."

Methylcobalamin is the most bio-available type of Vitamin B12.

Once you decide which strategy to use its just a matter of finding the best bang for the buck.

First off you have to understand that there is limit to how much B12 you can absorb at one meal.

So in one shcool you take multiple amounts of B12 3 - 4x a day. The way I do this is by drinking and eating fortified foods 3 - 4 x a day. The soy milk I like is fortified and I find it easy to drink 3 - 4 glasses a day.

someone here on the VF does about the same thing but with fortified nutritional yeast.

"Take one B12 supplement daily providing at least 10 micrograms. OR Take a weekly B12 supplement providing at least 2000 micrograms."

Once you decide which strategy to use its just a matter of finding the best bang for the buck.

Think the daily one would be more suitable just because I can get into the routine of taking it along with my morning medication. At least until I am a little more familiar with the vegan diet as a whole.

Thank you Lou for the guidance and support :) And for all your patience definitely helped me better understand the areas of nutrition that need improving 😀

Reactions: Lou

I am very new to the vegan diet and was advised to go vegan for the health benefits. I have hypertension and Hidradenitis Suppurtiva.

I have always bought cruelty free and vegan alternatives ethical reasons food wise I started with Allplants for ease sake due to having spinal problems the ready meals are handy as I can't stand and cook until I get my spinal operation. Even prep work is tricky at present.

I seem to be hitting my protein intake perfectly and calcium I am on Acdal D3 as I've osteoporosis and lactose intolerant even some nut milks just don't agree with me.

I was wondering what other supplements would be beneficial to introduce to support iron and other essential minerals and vitamins.

Hi KDA,

The Vegan Society (UK) sells a very low cost vegan multivitamin. It contains vitamin B12, vitamin D, iodine, and selenium - these are nutrients of potentially greatest concern to vegans. It comes in 2 flavors: VEG 1 Vegan Supplements

Dear Lou,

Unfortunately my ailments are tricky with the vegan diet, especially as you say with the medication aspect of it.

Before I started the vegan diet I never ate dairy and before this I was mainly Pescatarian. My doctors I have spoke to and they are on the fence about the vegan diet but I personally feel better ethically, mentally and physically when on a vegan diet.

Soya protein I've had to avoid, nutritionally yeast due to adverse effects with the Hidradenitis Suppurtiva, Tofu however has been a life saver but I seen here in the UK

Holland & Barrett Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral Tablets​

I was thinking of introducing it into my diet as I use Fitness Pal to keep track of my weight (Little Fluffy) Hehe. Plus it helps me keep track of certain vitamins and minerals.

B12 ill definitely need to introduce but I must seek out a better dietician as I would love to stick to it.

Sad most medical "Professionals" are ignorant to the vegan diet as personally I feel my best on it.
Hi KDA,

In the UK, you can find a local Registered Dietitian (RD) through the website of the British Dietetic Association: Find a dietitian . You can select an RD who specializes in vegetarian/vegan nutrition. An RD will work with you and your physician to address any health issues that you have.

Hi KDA,

The Vegan Society (UK) sells a very low cost vegan multivitamin. It contains vitamin B12, vitamin D, iodine, and selenium - these are nutrients of potentially greatest concern to vegans. It comes in 2 flavors: VEG 1 Vegan Supplements

Dear David,

They definitely are a good price and they give you a fair amount for the price. First I have heard of VEG 1.

I was looking at a few on Holland and Barrett and Amazon with being from Northern Ireland it's has been tricky with Brexit having certain items delivered here but they seem to be fine.

Dietician will be handy sadly my own doctors are trying to steer me clear of the vegan diet. Where there is a will, there's a way.

Thank you 😊

Dear David,

Dietician will be handy sadly my own doctors are trying to steer me clear of the vegan diet. Where there is a will, there's a way.

Thank you 😊
Hi KDA,

You can show your doctors that the UK NHS has stated that properly-planned vegan diets are a healthy option: The vegan diet

Hi KDA,

You can show your doctors that the UK NHS has stated that properly-planned vegan diets are a healthy option: The vegan diet

Dear David,

I definitely will because I was originally incorporating vegan meals four times a week into my diet as I was transitioning off of the Pescatarian diet.

Personally I felt much better physically and mentally. Ethically it's extremely important to me first and foremost.

My health definitely improved from less inflammation in my joints to hypertension being at normal levels and Hidradenitis Suppurtiva had less flare ups.

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so I'll be presenting this to them and see how it can be monitored from there.

It's greatly appreciated feel more at ease. Between Lou and yourself I am more settled :)

Hello,
Good on you for going vegan!
It is also important that you get enough iron. Leafy greens, such as spinach, are high in iron. As for vegan foods that have calcium, kale and oranges have calcium. Also, a lot of vegan milks are fortified with calcium. Apparently, all bread in the UK legally has to be fortified with something (I think it might be calcium). However, you probably wouldn’t reach your required calcium intake on just bread.
I would also advise that you ask the staff at your local Holland and Barrett (if you are in the UK) or other health foods shop for their advice on what vegan vitamins and supplements to take.
Some people may tell you that you need to take lots of tablets to make up for “not eating properly” when you are - please don’t fall for this! Many people get all they need to be very healthy as vegans, even if they do need to take a few supplements. Some vegans need to take supplements, some don’t. Even if you do need to take supplements in order to be healthy as a vegan, you can still be very healthy as a vegan with the supplements. If you are a creature of human intelligence, and you can live and live well and prosper without supporting or engaging in animal cruelty, you should. Also, I don’t take lots of tablets to do with my veganism; I take one vegan vitamin and one calcium supplement.
If you have any doubts about whether veganism is healthy for human beings, please research and read the position of the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on vegetarian and vegan diets. Please also read, research and watch celebrities, athletes and health bloggers and vloggers. Please also research the health benefits of veganism.
Also, please research the animal rights side of veganism. It is important to be vegan for the animals, even if it is for your health as well.
Please stay vegan for life. I wish you luck 🍀 with your veganism…

Reactions: KDA83
Hello,
Good on you for going vegan!
It is also important that you get enough iron. Leafy greens, such as spinach, are high in iron. As for vegan foods that have calcium, kale and oranges have calcium. Also, a lot of vegan milks are fortified with calcium. Apparently, all bread in the UK legally has to be fortified with something (I think it might be calcium). However, you probably wouldn’t reach your required calcium intake on just bread.
I would also advise that you ask the staff at your local Holland and Barrett (if you are in the UK) or other health foods shop for their advice on what vegan vitamins and supplements to take.
Some people may tell you that you need to take lots of tablets to make up for “not eating properly” when you are - please don’t fall for this! Many people get all they need to be very healthy as vegans, even if they do need to take a few supplements. Some vegans need to take supplements, some don’t. Even if you do need to take supplements in order to be healthy as a vegan, you can still be very healthy as a vegan with the supplements. If you are a creature of human intelligence, and you can live and live well and prosper without supporting or engaging in animal cruelty, you should. Also, I don’t take lots of tablets to do with my veganism; I take one vegan vitamin and one calcium supplement.
If you have any doubts about whether veganism is healthy for human beings, please research and read the position of the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on vegetarian and vegan diets. Please also read, research and watch celebrities, athletes and health bloggers and vloggers. Please also research the health benefits of veganism.
Also, please research the animal rights side of veganism. It is important to be vegan for the animals, even if it is for your health as well.
Please stay vegan for life. I wish you luck 🍀 with your veganism…
Dear Rory :)

Thank you for the warm welcome and information 😀

With calcium I have to because of my joint problems such as Osteoporosis and spinal damage take a tablet prescriped by my doctor called Adcal D3 which gives me 1400mg of calcium a day. I am well covered in that aspect.

Fruits and vegetables I have always ate in abundance only vegetable I wouldn't be fussed on is abergines but I am starting to eat them regardless as with anything you do get used to it.

Holland and Barrett I use frequently as I have never bought any products tested on animals or that have animal ingredients. Even before being vegan my ethics have always been very strongly driven to animal welfare.

Before my spinal damage I was a great one for scuba diving and promoting the welfare of marine animals, especially sharks. And coral reef preservation.

Sadly I physically can't do the scuba diving now at the moment but I have always even now speak at marine events for the protection of the oceans and marine life.

Animal welfare is first and foremost the reason for turning to the vegan lifestyle.

Supplement wise I do take a vegan tablet called Vegan Vitality which hits all the vitamins and minerals in which I need.

I do struggle with prep work due to my spinal damage but I am waiting for a major operation to correct the damage. I have bought from AllPlants until I get my mobility back, as standing and sitting at present is very difficult.

And I have downloaded the app called CronOMeter suggested by Lou which has been tricky but I am finally getting the hang of it. It's kept me mindful of my intake each day.

I have been watching documentaries such as "Dominon" as I thought if I am hundred percent in going vegan I need to see the truth of what happens in slaughterhouses. It just made my choice to go vegan even more apparent.

I have been looking into research on everything as although I am one person and a newbie to this I have no issue reaching out and asking questions from yourself and experienced vegans :)

I greatly appreciate the information and for the warm welcome but I am hundred percent in sticking to being vegan :)

KDA x

Just came to say Dr Greger advises cyanobolamin rather than methyl. Methyl degrades quickly, while cyano is stable
It's in the link

Welcome to the forum and the vegan world. :)

I would agree with the suggestion to get B12, that is usually consider a no brainer to supplement.

Also do look into iodine, it´s often low on a vegan diet and not talked about much. You can get it in certain food sources.

You need profesional advice however to make sure none of our generic advice is problematic for hypertension and Hidradenitis Suppurtiva. As a minimum checking with your doctor will it be OK if I take this list of supplements and eat this list of foods.