First Dates

RascalsMom

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Let's talk first dates! What are some of your most memorable? Best? Worse? What was your first date with your current partner?

'Memorable' is already shorter and easier to say.

True story: in all my life I have never actually been on a 'date'. Seems weirdly formal. I guess the equivalent would be when I first met an ex* in Northamptonshire (England) after a sleepless two days of travel (flying and then getting out of London). Nothing funny happened I'm sad to say, but it was memorable just for being so far out of place and yet meeting casually on the sidewalk of a small town. If it hadn't been for the pack I was carrying, it would have been hard to tell it was anything but a completely normal meeting on a completely normal day, which was a really weird and relieving feeling. That entire part of my life actually was a lot like that... it taught me not to let myself make a big deal out of things that don't need to be, which is most of them.

Anyway, I think we went and got drinks and smokes after that. We were pretty classy. :weird:

*at the time a more-than-friend, later officially 'together', currently 'ex' but not on bad terms.

The worst is when you're on a date with someone & you bump into an ex. AWKWARD.

I can't remember my actual first date with the hubby. He was in Viet Nam when I started hanging out with his sister. I was in high school. He is very good at drawing so when he was home on leave, believe it or not, he actually got me with the "want to come to my room and see my sketches?" line. :leer: :rofl: We've been married 38 years.

Really only been in two relationships in my life, and both had very memorable first dates. With my girlfriend, I met her in LA where she had an audit and after work we drove to Anaheim and our first date was a wonderful 3 day vacation to Disneyland.

With my ex, I met her in Beijing and we went to Xiang Shan, a little mountain with a fairly well known temple. So... my first kiss was in a temple on a mountain in China lol.

I don't think I have ever been out on a first date in the traditional sense.

Met my wife in the top floor of Hancock Tower in Chicago. I almost didn't make it because of a delayed flight that also lost my baggage, so there was no opportunity for a quick shower or even brushing my teeth before I went there! And it was strange because I wasn't nervous at all, it was like the Hand of Fate was guiding me through all the obstacles.

Let's talk first dates! What are some of your most memorable? Best? Worse? What was your first date with your current partner?
My first dates have been more fraught since becoming vegetarian. When I was a teenager, dates didn't happen, I just hooked up with my guy friends. Since becoming vegetarian, I've had guys offer me some of their (meat-based) food, offering to 'pick the meat off', a surprisingly decent guy who asked if it was ok for him to eat a steak, and a guy who made fun of me for my beliefs. A real mixed bag. My current partner, and fiancé is an omni, but the most considerate one I've ever met. Our household is meat-free, he always brushes his teeth after eating meat, I couldn't ask for a better compromise. I'd love it if he made the switch himself, but that's unlikely, and frankly I'm not likely to find someone better for me than him, so the eating habit is something I'm prepared to deal with, given how understanding he's been. A million times better than the clowns I've dated before!

As to how me and Himself got together, we met through my University's roleplayers' society. There was an instant attraction, but neither of us did anything about it. The year following my joinging the society, we were at the Nationals for roleplaying in Manchester. I was drunk out of my mind, and we had a conversation regarding philosophy, of which I have no recollection. He was apparently about to make a move when I went back to my hotel room in exhaustion. The summer after that, he suffered a bad breakup, which I helped him through by taking him out for coffee and letting him talk it out. A while after that, it turned out we were oth kinkily inclined, and it transpired that there was a Torture Garden event on in a nearby city, so he invited me along. Best first date ever!

Worse date I had was with a bloke I met online who took me to a hotel for lunch and was completely charming until I got up to leave, he then made remarks about how much money he had 'wasted' on wine and the fact that he had a room booked upstairs!!! I realised that I was in a sticky spot and made an excuse to go to the toilet and left out of a back door.

However, when I got to the car park he was leaning against my car. I was really scared by this point. I managed to convince him that I really liked him and that I was up for another date but really needed to get back to work urgently. I scribbled down a fictious numer and agreed to meet him that evening.
Luckily he brought it and let me go. I sped away trembling with fear but also I was really angry and insulted. I reported him to the website and it took me a long time to go back on another date after that!!!

Wow... that's a scary first date.

I'm not sure I've really had "first dates" except when I was really young, I went to the cinema with a guy and held his hand, and then my hand wasn't resting on anything but I thought if I stopped holding his hand he'd think I didn't like him so I just held it up for the entire film and my hand really hurt. Although, to be honest, that's the kind of goofy awkward thing I'd still do now.

Met the mrs at quarter beer night... long time ago. I knew she was going to be there with some common friends (they made sure to let me know she would be there. lol) We had a nice time, did some dancing and she asked me out on our first real date the next day, we went out to some nice place where she treated me to lunch. Rest is history.

Reactions: KLS52
I once found out weeks after a friend and I went to Taco Bell and got two dollar menu items that she considered it to be a date. That was awkward, considering we would hang out all the time and to me there was nothing out of the ordinary about it.

Present partner and I had a 23 1/2 hour first date, which was planned to be that long due to bus schedules and distance.