FGM

I'm surprised a doctor would do such a thing, especially a female doctor. I hope the judicial system makes an example out of her.

I'm glad this is beoming more known. At my workplace, one reason for cesarean sections is a personal history of FGM, unable to give birth vaginally.

And over a million baby boys in the US undergo MGM right after birth.

Criminalize female genital mutilation? Not so fast, say Dems

In Minnesota, a bill that would ban the practice, known as “female circumcision” in places such as Somalia, Egypt, Sudan, Yemen and elsewhere in the Third World, was passed overwhelmingly in the Senate but died in the House.

Now in Maine, a similar bill, LD 745, is being put up for a second vote in the state house after failing in late June. The state Senate passed the bill but the House rejected it, forcing another vote on an amended bill set for July 20.

In both states, it is primarily progressive Democrats pushing back against the criminalization of FGM. Many have even refrained from calling the practice what it is – female genital mutilation – opting for the more sanitized “genital cutting” or “female circumcision.”

:rolleyes:

Criminalize female genital mutilation? Not so fast, say Dems
WND - World Net Daily is a pretty horrible right-wing site, but I guess they must have the basic details correct, at least. Surprising that Democrats, the supposed progressive party, would be opposed to a ban on FGM.

And over a million baby boys in the US undergo MGM right after birth.

While I do not support male circumcision ( I guess it is a practice that made sense 2,000 years ago, but not likely nowadays), I am opposed to mentioning this and FGM in the same line of thought - they are vastly different.

And again, you cannot expect WND to present either the Democrats or the ACLU in an unbiased, let alone positive, way. I'm sure there's more to the story than they're telling.

WND - World Net Daily is a pretty horrible right-wing site, but I guess they must have the basic details correct, at least. Surprising that Democrats, the supposed progressive party, would be opposed to a ban on FGM.

Yes , that was my concern re the site , but the bill does seem to be foundering .....which surprised me , I thought it was no brainier and hoping for some input from the USA veggie members .

Last edited:
Well it seems to be moving forward in Michigan

Michigan to institute harsher penalty for female genital mutilation - CNN.com

CNN)A series of new laws passed in Michigan strengthen penalties for female genital mutilation practices in the state. Performing FGM or transporting another person in the state for the purpose of undergoing FGM will be punishable by up to 15 years in prison, 10 years more than the federal penalty for the crime.

The new legislation comes only a few months after the state became the backdrop for the first federal case involving FGM in the United States. Six people were charged for either committing or assisting in performing female genital mutilation on two 7-year-old girls, who were brought into Michigan from Minnesota. FGM is illegal in the United States for girls under 18 and is punishable by up to five years in prison, according to national law.

I don't trust Weird Nut Daily to give an unbiased weather report, let alone anything else.

Well it seems the majority of the post in the link is correct the vote was 76 to 71 ....a range of reasons , from did not want to increase the prison population to I don't think its happening in my state "Rep. Lois Galgay Reckitt" .

I have to be careful about getting to deep in this I don't understand US politics .......especially the political reactions to this subject .

Detroit doctor charged for female genital mutilation to be released on $4.5M bond

A Detroit-area doctor charged with performing genital mutilation on girls in a Muslim sect will be released from jail as she awaits trial.

A judge on Tuesday was persuaded to grant bond to Dr. Jumana Nagarwala after supporters pledged to pay more than $4 million if she flees the country. Federal Judge Bernard Friedman called it a "very comprehensive package."

Feds weigh appeal in genital mutilation case

Detroit – Federal prosecutors were weighing Monday whether to appeal a judge’s order that dismissed the most serious count against two doctors in the nation’s first female genital mutilation case, a sex charge punishable by up to life in federal prison.

The move by U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman on Sunday granted a defense motion to dismiss a conspiracy charge alleging Dr. Jumana Nagarwala and Dr. Fakhruddin Attar transported minors to Metro Detroit with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity. While female genital mutilation is a federal crime, the allegations do not constitute criminal sexual activity, the judge said.

The move was a victory for the defense teams but leaves in place several other charges, including a conspiracy charge that could send the doctors to prison for 20 years. A trial is set for January 2019

That's a well-balanced article Madam, I thought the below paragraph sorta sums a lot of the debate about FGM.

: Many of the women who do not oppose FGM did not cite its pain or trauma as a reason. They said they were angry because they had not consented to the procedure. They believe they should not have undergone FGM as a child, but rather should have been asked as an adult if they would consent to it.:

Las Vegas woman fights to stop female genital mutilation

Selifa Boukari McGreevy wants to bring attention to the horrors of female genital mutilation by sharing her experience. It’s not easy to hear. And it won’t be easy to read.

Mutilated at age 8, McGreevy said she had already been raped repeatedly by an uncle in her village in the West African nation of Togo. As a teenager, she was forced into prostitution. She had no education and couldn’t even write her own name.

Now 41, the Las Vegas woman wants to stop FGM from happening to others and inform people that the practice continues to this day, even in the United States.

To do this, she produced and wrote “Sherifa,” a film by Togolese director Steven Af that came out in 2013.