Status
Not open for further replies.

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
This is a monthly thread where you can find support and discuss your health concerns, issues or voice your opinions!

So, who is dieting ? :)

<<< not dieting.

I generally try to concentrate more on maintaining my health through easy exercise and generally healthy food choices, but I really don't do well with dieting. I find restricting brings out the rebel in me and I end up cheating - A LOT. :rolleyes:

If the sun comes out this afternoon, I hope to take a walk. If it doesn't, I may just wallow in winter despair.

I'm trying to improve the overall quality and balance of my diet-- not really with the intent to lose weight but to be as healthy as I can through whole foods. Although, I have been losing some weight because I feel so much better, which in turn is making me more active.

I've been learning a lot about vitamins and minerals, about nutrition in general, and feeling incredibly foolish. (I've bought my own dunce hat as I seem to keep needing it.) I had no idea alcohol depleted B vitamins... I just knew it was awful for the liver, stomach and brain cells and looked no further.

So, I decided last night to have a dry February to test whether my energy levels go up by removing alcohol from my lifestyle. I think that's sorta dieting as I'm certain to lose at least a little weight without those empty calories, and I'll have to change some habits to be successful.

What I love about a WFPD diet is that, if done correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about dieting. It's a diet - what you eat for life - rather than a diet in the sense of "dieting." So no - not dieting. Haven't done that in over 2 years. At most, if and when I feel it necessary, is moderate how many dates and nuts I eat every day (usually probably more than I should ;) ).

I'm trying to improve the overall quality and balance of my diet-- not really with the intent to lose weight but to be as healthy as I can through whole foods. Although, I have been losing some weight because I feel so much better, which in turn is making me more active.

I've been learning a lot about vitamins and minerals, about nutrition in general, and feeling incredibly foolish. (I've bought my own dunce hat as I seem to keep needing it.) I had no idea alcohol depleted B vitamins... I just knew it was awful for the liver, stomach and brain cells and looked no further.

So, I decided last night to have a dry February to test whether my energy levels go up by removing alcohol from my lifestyle. I think that's sorta dieting as I'm certain to lose at least a little weight without those empty calories, and I'll have to change some habits to be successful.

I have just finished a dry January and am so pleased with myself! Lol. But seriously, I'm feeling more optimistic, more balanced, more rested. I hadn't plan to stick with it in February, but I may, because really, why not? 🤔

I have just finished a dry January and am so pleased with myself! Lol. But seriously, I'm feeling more optimistic, more balanced, more rested. I hadn't plan to stick with it in February, but I may, because really, why not? 🤔
Ha! It's true. I reached a similar conclusion when I considered if I felt better without it, why would I bring it back? We could become accidental teetotalers! 🧘‍♀️

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Poppy
My "dry July" in 2018 turned into a dry 19 months to date. If it makes you feel good, do it! :)

I'm trying to get back on track with portions and junk food, so it's a more a return to healthier, watchful eating. I'm like Poppy, if I start thinking it's a "diet" in the sense of losing weight, I will cheat a ton as well. Deprivation never works for me. I had lost a bunch of weight six or seven years ago, and I only recently had regained enough to give me pause. I had also taken a months-long hiatus from regular exercise (many reasons for this, none of them really good ones), but I'm back on track in that regard.

I probably should eat more fresh produce instead of processed, so I'll try to do that.

And streching more doesn't sound too bad idea either... My left shoulder have been aching, mainly because my mattress is 21-22 years old (I'm usually laying on my left side while sleeping), and because I do alot of heavy lifting at work. So stretching sould definitely do good. And also paying attention to ergonomy while lifting things.

Maybe I'm ready to add in a bit of exercise again...it's just finding the time.

Today is a nice day so I will take the baby out for a walk - he does like to get out in the fresh air . :) so at least that'll be something.

Proper workouts need to be arranged though.

No, wait... The mattress is actually 25 years old... and I'm 30. So maybe I shouldn't blame the mattress. Perhaps my shoulder is aching because I'm antique.
I decided to flip the mattress. I think that the end of the mattress (on which the feet usually rest) is like brand new: the feet is lighter than upper body. So the mattress should still be good to use.
The mattress is part of my history. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
Im trying to follow a 3x/week strength training program and can only do 2x a week so far. I find that I get too sore and tired to do that third workout.

And I've also been trying to eat better (more balanced meals) so my body can recover and repair itself. I don't usually track calories, but I think it would be helpful to track my protein. My muscles need a bit more than usual now.

My running routine is on hold. I'm having sciatic nerve pain, which worries me.

Last edited:
Im trying to follow a 3x/week strength training program and can only do 2x a week so far. I find that I get too sore and tired to do that third workout.

What do you mean too tired...are you failing reps, or do you not even do the workout because you don't feel recovered enough? Surely Rippetoe's program addresses how to deal with failed reps. Are you getting more calories and enough sleep?

What do you mean too tired...are you failing reps, or do you not even do the workout because you don't feel recovered enough? Surely Rippetoe's program addresses how to deal with failed reps. Are you getting more calories and enough sleep?
I don't go to the gym because I feel tired. I'm sure I would be ok if I went. Just hard to feel motivated on a Saturday or Sunday. I may need to change my routine to mon/wed/fri. I'm more likely to go right after work than on a day off.

Also, my calories this past week were probably not enough. Im going to prep more food this weekend so I can eat better next week.

I did a 5.1-mile walk today. I layered my clothing and wore my good gloves and was pretty toasty warm despite the wind. I might invest in one of those hats that covers everything except your eyes. My face feels hot from the wind. I walked to the grocery store and picked up a few things (sesame oil, cornstarch and cornmeal). Then I walked to the library and rented two movies for tonight's movie marathon (It's a Mission impossible night :D). It felt good to get some mileage in.

Status
Not open for further replies.