Favorite Cuisine

I tried Ethiopian cuisine in Boston this summer. Now I really wish we had that type of cuisine anywhere closer to me. Boston is over an hour away and there does not seem to be any Ethiopian restaurants between here and there.

I'm not sure what my favourite cuisine is. I disagree that Mediterranean is a cuisine :) It's just too heterogeneous.

So it might be a tie between Mexican and Lebanese.

What would be your favourite vegan Lebanese dishes, silva? A Lebanese lady lives very close to me and she has a Lebanese restaurant within walking distance but I wouldn't know what to ask for and it would be embarrassing to go there and not be enthusiastic about the food. Which dishes are most vegan friendly?
Mejadra- a rice and lentil dish. Flat bread with olive oil and zataar seasoning. Falafel (no cilantro please!). Rice pilaf. The stuffed grape leaves with the rice and pine nut filling-dolmas. There was a wonderful Mid eastern store with a small buffett. I love the spices! And eggplant dishes! Most can be made vegan -seems normal

Reactions: Val
Mejadra- a rice and lentil dish. Flat bread with olive oil and zataar seasoning. Falafel (no cilantro please!). Rice pilaf. The stuffed grape leaves with the rice and pine nut filling-dolmas. There was a wonderful Mid eastern store with a small buffett. I love the spices! And eggplant dishes! Most can be made vegan -seems normal
I love falafel and stuffed vine leaves but didn't know they were Lebanese. In the favourite restaurant thread I said that my favourite was a falafel place in Paris.

I'm not sure what my favourite cuisine is. I disagree that Mediterranean is a cuisine :) It's just too heterogeneous.

So it might be a tie between Mexican and Lebanese.

So then my favourite would be Italian.However, I would say that Mediterranean cuisine does exist. It's based on olive oil, fresh vegetables, pulses, nuts and grains plus gorgeous sourdough style bread.

I love the flavors from northern Africa and the Middle East, and I also love Nepalese food, but I rarely get to eat them.

Among the more readily accessible ethnic cuisines, I would have a hard time choosing between Chinese, Mexican and Italian. Probably Chinese, because tofu, and because there are so many regional differences, and therefore more variety in taste.

I love the flavors from northern Africa and the Middle East, and I also love Nepalese food, but I rarely get to eat them.

Among the more readily accessible ethnic cuisines, I would have a hard time choosing between Chinese, Mexican and Italian. Probably Chinese, because tofu, and because there are so many regional differences, and therefore more variety in taste.
I don't know much about northern African cuisine or Nepalese. I would have to research those a bit to see what I might like. I love Italian, too.
There is a whole-in-the-wall Lebanese place not far from me that I just love. They make the best falafel I've ever had anywhere.

Reactions: Val and Mischief
I don't know much about northern African cuisine or Nepalese. I would have to research those a bit to see what I might like. I love Italian, too.
There is a whole-in-the-wall Lebanese place not far from me that I just love. They make the best falafel I've ever had anywhere.

The only North African dish that I like is couscous stew.

Next time we do a Boston meet-up, I'd love to re-visit the Ethiopian place I went to. It's a very hands on experience and so filling! Also, if you ever find yourself in my city, I can refer you to a Nepalese place. It's like a hybrid of Indian and Thai cuisine. A lot of Indian type spices but not as heavy/saucy

Next time we do a Boston meet-up, I'd love to re-visit the Ethiopian place I went to. It's a very hands on experience and so filling! Also, if you ever find yourself in my city, I can refer you to a Nepalese place. It's like a hybrid of Indian and Thai cuisine. A lot of Indian type spices but not as heavy/saucy
That would be great! The Nepalese cuisine sounds intriguing as well.

Sichuan-style Chinese food (the spicy stuff) and Thai curries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jordan178