Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Tofu29

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi, everyone!
So I've become involved in promotional efforts to spread the knowledge of veganism. I've recognized how dramatically eating plant-based foods impacts human health and the earth's environment. It saves animals, humans, our water, our land our forests. Everything! And I can't just sit ideally by and keep that secret to myself. I want to make a change. This is a cause worthy of my efforts. So as my first step to educating both vegans and non-vegans on the tremendous impact of this lifestyle, I am submitting the research essay I wrote a few years back. Hopefully, it can be spread to other forums or used to send disbelievers to educate people or at least give a summary about how it all affects our environment and health.

Attachments

• The Impacts of Eating Meat and Diary.pdf
    119.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: bEt and vesper818
Hello Tofu29. Thank you for sharing your paper. You included some good sources. I hope you have more to share soon. Well done and welcome!

By the way, I noticed that it looks like the paper is by an Olivia Fulkerson, and written for a Professor Fulkerson? Is that right? Was the professor a relation of yours?

You might enjoy checking out this thread too:

Last edited:
Thank you Tofu29 for sharing your essay. It looks very well researched in terms of dietary impacts. Some of your statements are a bit blunt and might be either better cited and/or worked better into the wording such as "People are unknowledgeable and brainwashed..."

Today the BBC released a similar news story with the following visual representation.
What is the lowest-carbon protein? bbc.com/future/article/20221214-what-is-the-lowest-carbon-protein
Greenhouse gas emissions per 100g of protein. (Credit: Poore, J., & Nemecek, T. (2018). Additional calculations by Our World in Data. Additional data by Hannah Ritchie):
p0dpd2j9.jpg

I assume many of my major protein sources would fit closely with the pulses, such as beans and lentils. Seitan would fit in with wheat. However, I wonder if these statistics account for the processing of vegan foods such as the fermentation required to make tempeh from soybeans or the concentration of wheat-derived gluten from the raw wheat to make seitan, or the production of vegan cheeses from nuts.
However, even if these processes double the GHG emissions of our vegan foods, we are still by far near the bottom of the pyramid-shaped graph above.
I would like to see a similar graph regarding water consumption per 100 G of protein production.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bEt