Elderly Doctor Dragged From Overbooked United Flight

Airlines do not need to overbook from a financial perspective. Most people purchase non refundable tickets. So, if they don't show up the airline gets their money anyway...

The "necessity" of a full flight has more to do with image.

Airlines do not need to overbook from a financial perspective. Most people purchase non refundable tickets. So, if they don't show up the airline gets their money anyway...

The "necessity" of a full flight has more to do with image.

And also of maximizing profit.

In this case, they needed to get four United employees to the destination city. They should just have figured out alternative transportation for them, even if they had to hire a small private plane.

And also of maximizing profit.

In this case, they needed to get four United employees to the destination city. They should just have figured out alternative transportation for them, even if they had to hire a small private plane.
Either that or offered more incentives until four people volunteered. It would have been cheaper than what this is going to cost them.

It's an interesting story. Unlike some most of us are lucky to live in privileged, civilized countries where incidents like this are rare and you can sometimes get justice when they happen - especially if there is video evidence. I hope this guy's injuries aren't serious. It's pretty obvious his compensation for this is not going to be a $100 voucher but maybe $10,000 - $1,000,000.

I've flown United Airlines and I've found them to be fairly poor. Unusually, the stewards/stewardesses act like they don't like their job and it feels a little bit rundown. It's a notch or two below American. I was also once held on a runway for 4 hours. I don't fly as often these days and I haven't flown United for years to be fair.

The CEO's statement is telling. It's a lesson in how not to handle PR the way he came out with the "disruptive" and "beligerent" comment.

However it's worth noting that the person causing the violence does not seem to be a United Airlines employee, but work for the airport. In that sense avoiding this airport (I think I read it was Chicago) arguably might make more sense than avoiding the airline.

What United should have done is stood at the front offering $100, $200, $300 and just keep going until someone stands up.

It's noteworthy that only Democrats in Congress are calling for a hearing about this.

Apparently, this guy is still in a hospital in Chicago today. United and the Chicago PD are going to have to pay him a fortune over this, as they should.

--Fromper
:juggle:

I've seen a few news sources interview experts who claim that United should empower its employees. But the truth is that in many airlines moral is abysmal because pay is low and shifts are long. Based on my experience as an airline employee (finance liaison to Operations), most people there would take the attitude "I'm not paid enough to think outside the box".

Toxic cultures are very difficult to change...

Airline employees, especially stewards and stewardesses, just don't and will not think out of the box especially when it means contradicting a rule. They are routine-loving rule followers. The industry clearly seeks out such people and trains them to think like that, and such people clearly seek out the industry, leading in a culture of narrow mindedness and inability to question the status quo.

This is all deeply ingrained in the whole industry and would take a colossal effort to change.

You better not argue with them because they see it as a sign of major weakness to back down, they always treat passengers like a mob of unruly children, and act like they think if they let one passenger go to the toilet while the seatbelt sign is on this will lead to immediate chaos and mob mentality and anarchy.

Which, who knows perhaps it would so I can understand where they are coming from with the need for orderliness and safety but you don't see the same attitude on a bus or train where accident risks and dangers are much higher.

It's more than just loving routine. As long as you have a HS diploma, and can pass a background and drug test, airlines will hire anyone willing to accept the low wages and working conditions. It's even worse in the regional airlines. These factors demotivate people to do anything beyond the basic functions of their job

Maybe United needs its own thread.... they're really on a roll lately. :brood:

Bridal Couple Removed From United Airlines Flight Without Incident

"According to Hohl, they noticed a man was spread across their row napping when they approached their seats, 24 B and C.

"Not wanting to wake the man, Hohl said they decided to sit three rows up in seats 21 B and C. He said they didn't think it would matter because the flight was half full with multiple empty rows.

How come "row napper's" behavior was apparently acceptable to United while the engaged couple's behavior was not?

How come "row napper's" behavior was apparently acceptable to United while the engaged couple's behavior was not?

This. Why didn't the flight attendants remove the row napper or at least make him sit upright in his assigned seat so the couple could sit in their assigned seats, and thus avoid any drama? Why is the default situation always to treat everyone as criminals?

This. Why didn't the flight attendants remove the row napper or at least make him sit upright in his assigned seat so the couple could sit in their assigned seats, and thus avoid any drama? Why is the default situation always to treat everyone as criminals?
Well, I think it's pretty obvious.... They're far too busy cramming their heads up their a$$es. :ignore: