Egypt supporting the Kurds?

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
The US's friend Egypt is helping out the Kurds in Turkey (the PKK - who everyone says are terrorists, until they cross into Syria or Iraq and then they're freedom fighters!)
http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/270620161

The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) is building a relationship with the Egyptian government of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, according to a Turkish intelligence report.

Delegations from the PKK have visited Cairo at least three times since December 2015 with the first connection mediated by Baghdad, Hurriyet Daily News reported.

According to the report, in the April meeting the PKK delegation agreed to gather intelligence on Muslim Brotherhood members in Turkey and would take action against members “if necessary.”

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is a strong supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood and an outspoken opponent of Sisi.

In May 2015, Erdogan declared, “For me, Morsi is Egypt’s president, not Sisi,” referring to Mohamed Morsi, the former Egyptian president and member of the Muslim Brotherhood who was ousted in a 2013 coup led by Sisi, who Erdogan has called an “illegitimate tyrant.”

The rapprochement between the PKK and Sisi’s government may, therefore, be a case of my enemy’s enemy is my friend.

It may have also led to the Sisi government granting approval for the Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) to open an office in Egypt’s capital, the intelligence report indicated.

(Could also be a way of weapons going from the US via Egypt to the Kurds)