Eggs?

People tend to either romanticize or laud the unhealthy things they put into their bodies. I just heard it recently at Christmas – where a giant prawn/lobster or whatever sea bug it was was called “the food of the gods”. How much can I roll my eyes.

If asked, I’m sure those partaking could go do an internet search, find all the minerals and vitamins it contains, add impressive adjectives to those and out of hand dismiss the negatives as if they were mere things that vegans say and hold no truth.

Same thing done here. There is nothing special about eggs in terms of nutrients that cannot be obtained from plant sources, eating them will foster the animal flesh munching bacteria in the gut that will crave animal products and you’ll get all the negative health consequences tied to the amount you consume.

This is an interesting exploration of the reason they can’t be marketed as healthy or nutritious by people wanting to use government money to do so:

It's the efficiency. That's why I brought up starvation. Eggs are efficient if you are dealing with populations living in abject poverty or in a climate where it was difficult to obtain fresh vegetables for months at a time. Because of mythologicalized accounts in the religious texts of Jews and Christians, some archeologists and historians speculate The Flood represented in Genesis where G-d allowed humans to consume animal products within limits was actually a real geological event. Namely, the ice age and the particular melt of a gigantic glacier. That in mind, one can start to see how these things happened in the frozen north.

And today, in rural China or parts of Africa people actually do eat mostly plant based diets due to lack of Western development and commerce. But they still eat eggs because they can not go to the pharmacy and buy B12. And certainly if someone is near death of famine, an egg is seen as more efficient than a four course vegetable meal.

I bring this up to be fair because this is exactly how I argue against meat eaters or people who say things about bioavailability. "Like seriously Chad, you're twenty pounds overweight and you hunt your food at the supermarket like everyone else, you don't NEED an egg, and here's the explanation for why people might."

But then why does CNN, Time, Newsweek, the AHA, and like 100 other source all say you should eat eggs? Oh, I guess its because the egg industry advertises or donates to these corporations and Organizations. Just like they said in What the Health.

Yes, there is that. In general, I pay little attention to corporate news and especially the news organizations you mentioned. My decision to avoid them really had nothing to do with Veganism but was made many years ago when I decided to turn off corporate television programing for good. They lie about so much and are extremely active in manipulating, or attempting to manipulate public opinion. I know a lot of people see it as entertainment and cure for boredom but if they knew the psychological tactics being used against their own minds, they might think twice. I have never regretted that decision.

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to say no matter how you feel about eggs - I think what they say about the cholesterol being bad for you is untrue, same for any natural food out there. It's things like fake butter and crisco that harm people. Lots of animals eat eggs, not chicken eggs but other bird eggs and I don't think they have to worry about their cholesterol being high. Although, they probably only eat a lot of them during the egg season. My mom eats eggs and she has high cholesterol but every heart scan she gets shows that she is very healthy.

I am also wondering how vegans feel about Vital Farms organic pasture raised eggs? Are these chickens harmed in any way?

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to say no matter how you feel about eggs - I think what they say about the cholesterol being bad for you is untrue, same for any natural food out there. It's things like fake butter and crisco that harm people. Lots of animals eat eggs, not chicken eggs but other bird eggs and I don't think they have to worry about their cholesterol being high. Although, they probably only eat a lot of them during the egg season. My mom eats eggs and she has high cholesterol but every heart scan she gets shows that she is very healthy.

I am also wondering how vegans feel about Vital Farms organic pasture raised eggs? Are these chickens harmed in any way?

Thanks for contributing to this thread. it had been sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Its nice to take a look at it. sort of like a time machine. Niclelodian, TofuRobot, and ForestNymph live on.

I think you are right about the cholesterol thing in a theoretical way. I'm sure there are safe levels of cholesterol intake. However, cholesterol as a nutrient is not necessary or essential. Our bodies will make it if we need it.

But there are definitely unsafe levels of cholesterol. I have no idea what those are but I'm pretty sure that the SAD exceeds it.

Cholesterol is just one of the many factors determining CV health. Genetics and exercise are also important. Anyway I'm glad that I don't worry about cholesterol.

I have mixed feeling about organic pasture raised eggs. Mostly cause of the ecology issues. but not because of any ethical concerns. Someone here on the VF, I guess on another thread, made a very good point: Eggs hatch into roosters about as often as they hatch into chickens. so when you go to a chicken ranch, count the roosters. if there are less roosters than chickens than someone is killing baby boy chicks.

You might also look around and check for senior chickens. These are chickens who have aged out. If there aren't any - then someone is killing them.

Last edited:
Do you know anything about vital farms brand and whether the male chicks are killed on any of their farms, as well as senior chickens?

Do you know anything about vital farms brand and whether the male chicks are killed on any of their farms, as well as senior chickens?
Even if they don't kill the male chicks - the people they buy the chicks from do.

You can write them and report back here. I think there might be a few people interested.

I think @Emma JC posted a really good comment in this thread on the previous page.
She also linked to Bite Sized Vegan's article on the subject.
that article may be the best information on eggs and vegans.
I wonder what happened to Bite sized vegan?

Reactions: Emma JC
Oh my this is an old thread. not sure if I should bring it back to life.
But I saw this article and didn't know where to put it.

Interesting about what it says about people. No matter how often we questioned the health risks from eggs or the inhumane conditions of chickens, the thing that moved the needle was the cost of eggs

Oh my this is an old thread. not sure if I should bring it back to life.
But I saw this article and didn't know where to put it.

Interesting about what it says about people. No matter how often we questioned the health risks from eggs or the inhumane conditions of chickens, the thing that moved the needle was the cost of eggs

A woman who's never tried any of the myriad ways to sub eggs in baking posts a tip on yet another common method :fp:. Someone should send her the Depression wacky cake recipe! Or even better, one from any of the winning vegan bakers
It is infuriating, but if it takes to get people from feeling they need eggs for things that in no way at all need them to be the same it's a win.

You could use pureed prunes, or bananas in that recipe instead just as well

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hated to think about this, but I almost suggested tofu scramble to someone, but realized that is actually more expensive than eggs. Eggs here are now $3.75 a dozen while tofu is $2 a block. I eat a half block when scrambled

Be a great opportunity for Just to lower its prices!

Hated to think about this, but I almost suggested tofu scramble to someone, but realized that is actually more expensive than eggs. Eggs here are now $3.75 a dozen while tofu is $2 a block. I eat a half block when scrambled

Be a great opportunity for Just to lower its prices!
I haven't priced a dozen eggs in a dozen years. But just did. Close to $5 a dozen here. And I've heard from people that last month they were close to $6.

for cakey cake I like baking soda/vinegar
for quick breads I may use ground flax, but mostly they're fine with just baking powder/baking soda, or vegan mayo
heavier moist cake I really love silken tofu or soy yogurt
cookies just omit and add a Tblsp corn starch. I have added chickpea flour and that worked well
For binding, ground flax and/or starches work fine