E numbers

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
This is a question about E numbers. In particular E472 which I see often on bread. What do you think in regards to this? Do you consume it? I have googled it and keep getting the same answer...
Because the E472 family is derived from Glycerine (Glycerol), there may be a slim chance that any of these might contain animal fats

Fab :up:

Have you thought about getting this: http://shop.vegansociety.com/product_info.php?products_id=238?

It's a little book published by the Vegan Society, listing products that they have personally inspected and certified vegan (no animal products, no testing). It doesn't list everything that is vegan but when you're starting out it's really useful to have when you go shopping, as you can buy things you know are safe until you get more comfortable with label reading. It lists things you can get from chain restaurants, in supermarkets, cosmetics etc.

Fab :up:

Have you thought about getting this: http://shop.vegansociety.com/product_info.php?products_id=238?

It's a little book published by the Vegan Society, listing products that they have personally inspected and certified vegan (no animal products, no testing). It doesn't list everything that is vegan but when you're starting out it's really useful to have when you go shopping, as you can buy things you know are safe until you get more comfortable with label reading. It lists things you can get from chain restaurants, in supermarkets, cosmetics etc.

Well I feel like an idiot for not having this sooner lol. Thanks for the link.
Ordered! xxx

For things like that, my usual approach is that if it may have come from animal fat (or another non-vegetarian thing), to check for a "suitable for vegetarians" sign, because if it's suitable for vegetarians it obviously hasn't come from animal fat! Sounds obvious but it's easy to forget (and only works in the UK or other places where 90% of things are labelled vegetarian if they are!).

Glad it was okay in the end :)

Reactions: Second Summer