Nutrition & Diet Dr Greger/Stroke/Vegan

Harry_Hoppe

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've heard that Dr Greger had a seminar about higher stroke risk in vegans. What where his conclusions? I've tried to get hold of the seminar but can't find it. Plus english is not my first language so I always find it a bit tricky to follow his seminars.

Thanks!

This is one of his rare webinars that he's asking $20 for a digital download. It's from his two hour webinar. All the profits from his speaking appearances and book sales go to charity and fund his nutritionfacts.org website. You can find a LOT of well researched and cross referenced nutritional information there. I highly recommend his book How Not to DIe
This is the link to the download-

I've heard that Dr Greger had a seminar about higher stroke risk in vegans. What where his conclusions? I've tried to get hold of the seminar but can't find it. Plus english is not my first language so I always find it a bit tricky to follow his seminars.

Thanks!

A higher incidence of stroke in vegetarians was one of the findings of the UK EPIC-Oxford study (48,188 participants, 1993-2001): Risks of ischaemic heart disease and stroke in meat eaters, fish eaters, and vegetarians over 18 years of follow-up: results from the prospective EPIC-Oxford study.

A lower incidence of stroke in vegetarians was the finding of a smaller study (1,528 participants, 2005-2009) in Taiwan: Vegetarian diet and incidence of total, ischemic, and hemorrhagic stroke in 2 cohorts in Taiwan . This study found that adequate vitamin B12 intake was associated with a lower risk of stroke.

Dr. Greger presented a private webinar on this topic last February. It will eventually be published for free viewing: Why Do Vegetarians Have Higher Stroke Risk? | NutritionFacts.org

Last edited:

Thanks!

Here is an old talk he gave on the topic you mentioned.

Long story short: take a b-12 supplement, eat ground flax seeds, chia seeds, or walnuts every day, and take a DHA/EPA supplement.

Reactions: David3
I would think that the big difference between vegans and vegetarians is the cheese and the high content of fats in the animal foods that they do eat. Eggs and cheese and other dairy products are some of the worst cholesterol contributors. Not to say that many vegans don't eat equivalent high fat products and yet I think, in general, many vegans eat a healthier diet than vegetarians do.

When you still eat cheese you often eat a lot of it. When you eat vegan cheese you usually limit the amount you eat because of the expense. I can remember, preOctober of 2016, that if I saw the large blocks of cheddar on sale I would buy one or two and I would not think twice about eating a lot of it. Which partially explains my weight loss postOctober of 2016. Pasta was the excuse to eat parmesan and if I could have gotten away with skipping the pasta and just eating the cheese I likely would have. I/we loved cheese and yet now we LOVE nutritional yeast and the occasional fake cheeze that we add to our food. I no longer have slices of cheese on crackers and rarely have grilled cheeze sandwiches.

All in my opinion, Emma JC