Does it really matter if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consistency

Forum Practitioner
Banned
Reaction score
I watched the following YouTube video and at the 3:55 mark.. the guy asks... "Like do we have a purpose?".

If there is no purpose and we are in this vast universe without any idea of what's at the end or what's holding the universe together.

Does it really matter if animals are slaughtered for consumption?

Yes. Many vegans are athiests so I don't see how this is even a question, there are vegan groups who consider athiesm a pre-req (very common in 80s ALF types) but yes even if there's no greater purpose to anything the immediate suffering of other living things still or even especially takes precedence over all else since there's no religious or humanist idea that people are somehow special or superior as a species.

Reactions: Lou
Does it really matter if animals are slaughtered for consumption?

The meaning of ‘matter’ when used as a verb means ‘to be of importance’ and importance or significance isn’t something that just exists objectively in empty space. There has to be a mind of some sort for the importance to ‘live in’.

So when we talk about whether or not something ‘matters’, we are really talking about whether it matters to me or whether it matters to you, unless we happen to agree that it is important to both of us.

If we are not in agreement about that we have to discuss what ‘should matter’ to a person, which gets into a discussion of morality. Morality is the same as importance, it doesn’t exist in the world independently of thought; there has to be a mind for judgements of right or wrong to exist in.

So I will rephrase your question like this: “should it be of significance to someone that animals are slaughtered for food when their slaughter is unnecessary for adequate human health”? My answer would be that it depends on the person.

If ‘Person A’ considers it wrong to kill a pig for the purpose of taking pleasure in watching it die, then that person should also consider it wrong to kill a pig for the purpose of taking pleasure in eating bacon, because why would one type of pleasure make it immoral and the other moral? That doesn’t make any sense, so in this case the answer to the question would be ‘yes’.

If ‘Person B’ considers pigs to be ‘things’ with no moral value, and would kill one for no other reason than to watch it die, then it should be of no significance that a pig is slaughtered for the sake of palate pleasure. It would be inconsistent if it did matter, to that individual. So the answer in this case would be ‘no’.

We want to say that it ‘should’ matter to both of them, but if you look at it logically, that is not the case. The bright side is that most people hold animals to be of at least some moral value and this entire segment of society can eventually be veganized. But the psychopathic element of society that would just as soon use animals as target practice cannot be.

Before I have asked myself the same thing. But then I decided thta this is a stupid question because everyone has its own purppose to live, to wake up every morning and do something. There are people who struggle everyday, trying to change their lives for better. There are people who trying to stay alive every day and they don`t know, will the next day come. We all have our own purposes. Speaking about humanity, so, we are just representatives of one of many other species on Earth. Like animals. That`s why we don`t need a special purpose to protect animals. They are like we and we are like them.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
You should try reading Animal Liberation by Peter Singer. These nihilistic moral relativity responses are signs of empty pseudo-intellect.

Reactions: Lou
Yes. Many vegans are athiests so I don't see how this is even a question, there are vegan groups who consider athiesm a pre-req (very common in 80s ALF types) but yes even if there's not greater purpose to anything the immediate suffering of other living things still or even especially takes precedence over all else since there's no religious or humanist idea that people are somehow special or superior as a species.

I haven't been able to reply sooner because a mod(probably veganite) enabled an option in my account to slow it down. So much for liberty and freedom of speech.
https://theadminzone.com/threads/xenforos-discourage-user-option.78190/

I don't believe believing in God and having a purpose is one and the same.

The reason I asked is because I've noticed that there is meat eaters like the one in the video who keep eating meat because they feel there isn't a purpose and therefore they feel it doesn't matter whether they eat animal flesh or not because based on the same line of thinking of us being equal... animals themselves don't have a greater purpose.

My question isn't meant as a way to find an excuse to consume animal flesh since I know first hand what it feels like to feel enslaved, to be abused, to be suppressed and to be without freedom.

I've been pondering lately on the meaning of life and the only thing I can come up from experience is... love.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Your name should be Conspiracy. I do not have such abilities.

Call this a fringe benefit of being moderator. I don't have to leave your puerile drivel posts up. I will delete them. Enjoy them apples!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.